[SOLVED] Good linux based YAML & Python IDE?

About programming and getting involved with Linux Mint development
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Mint Leaf
Level 2
Level 2

[SOLVED] Good linux based YAML & Python IDE?

Post by Mint Leaf »

I've been using Notepad++ however unfortunately it only has a windows version so I am now seeking native linux alternatives.
(Notepad++ does work very well in WINE, but I'd rather not have it installed at this time.)

Geany looks pretty good, are there any other similar linux IDEs that can handle YAML & Python?

And, perhaps more importantly are there any that you would recommend be avoided?

For the most part I don't need anything fancy, but I'm hoping for something equivalent to Notepad++'s features:
. Syntax highlighting.
. Line numbering.
. Find & Replace.
. Can have multiple source code documents open at once.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Good linux based YAML & Python IDE?

Post by xenopeek »

Mint Leaf wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:46 am For the most part I don't need anything fancy, but I'm hoping for something equivalent to Notepad++'s features:
. Syntax highlighting.
. Line numbering.
. Find & Replace.
xed (Text Editor) is installed by default on Linux Mint and it does all this. Why does it not suffice?

djph
Level 7
Level 7

Post by djph »

xenopeek wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:14 am
Mint Leaf wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:46 am For the most part I don't need anything fancy, but I'm hoping for something equivalent to Notepad++'s features:
. Syntax highlighting.
. Line numbering.
. Find & Replace.
xed (Text Editor) is installed by default on Linux Mint and it does all this. Why does it not suffice?
It's not vim :lol: :twisted: .

Or, an "IDE" for that matter. Granted, neither is Notepad++.
Mint Leaf
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Mint Leaf »

xenopeek wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:14 am xed (Text Editor) is installed by default on Linux Mint and it does all this. Why does it not suffice?
Because I foolishly made the mistake of assuming it was as bare bones as Window's text editor.

Thank you, Xed looks like it will work perfectly for what I want.

I've been messing around with it for a bit and the "Display Overview Map" feature alone look like it will be pretty useful.

I have one question about Xed though:
Does it create hidden characters in the files it saves?

My guess is that it does not since it has a built in Highlight mode for YAML.

For example Notepad on Windows left hidden characters at the start of YAML documents when I saved, this caused a few unexpected errors when I was working with YAML before. I think these characters were used to provide formatting information for the plain text.

djph wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:16 am It's not vim :lol: :twisted: .

Or, an "IDE" for that matter. Granted, neither is Notepad++.
I thought Notepad++ also had a compiler attached to it, but after a quick web search it appears I was mistaken. :oops:

Vim looks like it has a lot of interesting features. When I need a more meaty editor I'll give it a closer look.

Thank you for pointing it out.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Mint Leaf wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:19 am Does it create hidden characters in the files it saves?

[…] Notepad on Windows left hidden characters at the start of YAML documents […] to provide formatting information for the plain text.
Xed won't put weird characters in files. File format is inferred from its contents, not from any hidden bullshit. That is, if it looks like YAML it will be syntax highlighted as YAML. Text editors, file managers and the like mostly all work like this on Linux. File format is inferred from file contents.
Mint Leaf
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Mint Leaf »

xenopeek wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:09 am Xed won't put weird characters in files. File format is inferred from its contents, not from any hidden bullshit. That is, if it looks like YAML it will be syntax highlighted as YAML. Text editors, file managers and the like mostly all work like this on Linux. File format is inferred from file contents.
That is excellent!

Thank you for the information.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

If you want python, idle is a fairly basic ide (idle3 for python3). When it comes to text editors you are spoilt for choice in linux
https://www.tecmint.com/best-open-sourc ... t-editors/
most support syntax highlighting for a variety of different languages.

I use VScode and bluefish occasionally, most of the time xed meets my needs.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

AndyMH wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:28 am I use VScode ...
+1
Mint Leaf
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Mint Leaf »

I've had a bit more time to use Xed and it has been working great. :D

The additional ability to visually customize it has made for a bit more enjoyable experience than running Notepad++ via WINE.
(Notepad++ does allow customization of its visuals, but only when running on Windows last I checked)

"Dark mode + Style Scheme: Cobalt" is much easier on the eyes.

Thank you all again for your recommendations.
BJZilberman
Level 2
Level 2

Re: [SOLVED] Good linux based YAML & Python IDE?

Post by BJZilberman »

Even though [solved], I'm surprised that nobody mentioned github's Atom editor, it's pretty easy to use and packs some interesting features and loads of community made packages as well.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

The topic was about a Notepad++ like editor with YAML and Python syntax highlighting, and basic editor functionality. Xed does all that, comes readily installed on Linux Mint and isn't a resource hog like Electron apps. If you have more complex needs there are many editors and IDEs to choose from. If you like Atom, great for you, but I think it's not what was asked for.
Mint Leaf
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Mint Leaf »

Atom does look interesting, but as Xenopeek said Xed is currently fulfilling my needs.

Thank you for pointing out another editor, if I need something with more functionality than Xed it is always good to have more options available.

So far the only negative I've encountered with Xed when compared to Notepad++ is that there does not appear to be a way to search for a word across all opened documents, and that the search results do not provide a list that displays the line number each found word is on.

But it is still very functional manually cycling to the next found word when searching in Xed. (At least, at my current project size)

I also have a secondary concern with the Atom Editor in that from what I've read Microsoft has purchased GitHub so they have a stake in Atom. I don't have a lot of trust left for that company.

Return to “Programming & Development”