LMDE issues page: add apt one-liner to get multicore kernel

About programming and getting involved with Linux Mint development
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Sietse

LMDE issues page: add apt one-liner to get multicore kernel

Post by Sietse »

I couldn't find the proper place to post suggestions for the main website -- it's not on Launchpad; I couldn't find who the webmaster was or how to e-mail them; and there is no 'main website' thread or subform on this phpBB. So I'm posting this here, and hopefully somebody will tell me where to move it.

The main website's [url=http://www.linuxmint.com/rel_debian.php]LMDE known issues page[/url] (the one the Welcome Screen links to) says this:
Multi-core and multi-CPU support in 32-bit kernel

To guarantee compatibility with non-PAE processors, the 32-bit versions of Linux Mint Debian come with a 486 kernel by default. This kernel does not support SMP, and as a consequence is only able to detect one core and one CPU. If your CPU has multiple cores, or if you have more than one CPU, simply install the 686-PAE kernel and reboot your computer.
[url=http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=189&t=126434#p690427]A forum post[/url] says how to do it:

Code: Select all

sudo aptitude install linux-image-686 linux-headers-686-pae
I think this one-liner should be added to the LMDE issues page, so users don't have to search for it. Can someone implement this / tell me the proper place to request this?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: LMDE issues page: add apt one-liner to get multicore ker

Post by xenopeek »

Users at home with the terminal will most likely already know how to do this I'd think. For average users though, the kernel is easily installed through the Device Driver Manager where it is just a click to install it. But, that might perhaps be added on that page. I'll mention it to Clem when next I catch him on the IRC, but you can also do that yourself. You can usually find him in #linuxmint-dev.
Sietse

Post by Sietse »

Hi Xenopeek, thanks. I've just spoken to Clem on IRC, and he has [url=http://www.linuxmint.com/rel_debian.php]updated the LMDE page[/url]. Does he really administer the website personally, too, without anyone else? He has so many projects already, and I expected that I could bother someone else for small stuff like this...
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Good, thanks! Clem has help with a lot of things from the various Linux Mint teams, but some things he wants to do himself :wink:

Return to “Programming & Development”