Project Aries (Voice Command Idea)

About programming and getting involved with Linux Mint development
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
DrdAries

Project Aries (Voice Command Idea)

Post by DrdAries »

The problem with most voice command systems is that they are limited to their commands and the sentences required to trigger the command. I want to fix problem #2. Here's the idea...
Step 1: Use a program to convert speech to text;
Step 2: Use another program to seperate the parts of speech (nouns and verbs are needed as far as i've planned this out);
Step 3: Using a third program + thesaurus database bring up a certain number of synonyms to the parts of speech detected;
Step 4: Match the noun(s) and the synonyms of the noun(s) to the listed commands;
a)If match found, continue to step 5;
b)If mulitple matches found, continue to step 5d;
c)If no matches found, have it access a database (lets say cleverbot) and talk back to you;
Step 5:Have the verb(s) and the synonyms of the verb(s) matched to the listed commands;
a)If matched, execute command;
b)If multiple matches, have it check the state of the program being imposed. If for example the music is already playing, have the command to play music disappear;
c)If multiple matches exist, have the system ask to specify and code the choice taken as the primary choice;
d)If mulitple nouns exist, have it do the same as 5b and try to throw out some options, if problem still persists have it do the same as 5c;

Those are the basics, some features I would like to implement are surroundings awareness, respond with text to speech with some commands, have the text to speech sound more human (there are programs for that).
Surroundings awareness: Have it know when i'm speaking to it or to someone else by methods of checking what programs are active(skype, some video playing etc...) and by knowing how many people are in the room with a face detection camera system.

I like tinkering with stuff and building things, but I never wanted to program or build a system untill now... I know the basics of programming and how it works (atleast I think I do) and I have a strong mathematical base. I would appreciate feedback on the idea, how complicated it is, methods of doing it, resources I can take advantage of to learn how to do it, any feedback really :D

Help me make Aries happen :mrgreen:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Project Aries (Voice Command Idea)

Post by xenopeek »

Why not join an existing speech recognition project, like the open-source Simon, and help improve that to take it to your vision? Simon has a both dictation (speech to text) and voice command support.
DrdAries

Post by DrdAries »

I didn't know that existed, it looks really promising. I've been spending more time in my thoughts then the internet, thanks :D
ichat

Post by ichat »

by the looks of thair website its quite outdated, i wonder if its even being developed anymore,
having speech recognition in a desktop seem to be a nice-to-have feature but the everlasting problem to me stil is the language barier,

i saw people stepping right into the google api, as they did with the translation api back when, but i strongly fear that (as with google translate api) that once we are adicted they will make us pay 10$ per 10.000 words for any aplication other than hour google products.

for text to speech (thus the other way around) im already forced to use a virtual windows install, without any intergration (other than the standard virtualbox copy/paste tool).

maybe JUST maybe, 1 decent alternative (for english only speakers) exists

Return to “Programming & Development”