Build packages according to Debian guidelines

About programming and getting involved with Linux Mint development
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
djcj

Build packages according to Debian guidelines

Post by djcj »

Many Mint packages aren't packages as clean as they could. In past I made some pull requests here and there on Github, but I want to discuss about it here. Some minor Lintian warings are easy to fix, but the biggest problem yet is the many pictures installed in /usr/lib, which is not okay.

All the Mint packages are binary independent, so the stuff could easily be moved to /usr/share. However, this should be done with all packages at once, to not risk breaking stuff.
This isn't as much work as it sounds like, I could fork and edit the packages in a short time. I could also update the stuff to debhelper 9.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Build packages according to Debian guidelines

Post by xenopeek »

If you want to help, please join the developers on IRC. You can find them on #linuxmint-dev on irc.spotchat.org. If you are on Linux Mint, just open HexChat (or XChat/Quassel/Konversation for older releases or KDE edition) from your menu and you'll be automatically be connected to one or more of the Linux Mint IRC channels. Just type there /join #linuxmint-dev to join the developer channel. Come say hi :)

The developers are mostly active on GitHub and IRC; this forum is for Linux Mint users.

Note that many developers are always connected to the IRC channel, but they may be actually working on something and won't read your message immediately. Give it some time and if you don't get a reply try at a later hour again--timezones also play a role in how active the channel is...
djcj

Post by djcj »

The developers are mostly active on GitHub and IRC; this forum is for Linux Mint users.
I already opened a lot pull requests on Github, but nobody seems to be in the mood to discuss the proposed changes.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Have you visited the IRC channel also? From my own experience, catching devs' attention to something you've done works best if you address it on IRC also. Clem is probably the one to talk to.
djcj

Post by djcj »

Haven't done it yet, but I'll now start to idle around there and talk to them.

Return to “Programming & Development”