LMDE 1 >> Betsy upgrade GUI

About programming and getting involved with Linux Mint development
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

LMDE 1 >> Betsy upgrade GUI

Post by Fred Barclay »

Guys:
I'm thinking of writing a LMDE 1 to Betsy GUI in python 3 and tkinter just for fun, and because I saw some folks complaining that they didn't want to edit the /etc/sources.d lists and upgrade via terminal. If I get it rolling, would anyone here be interested in it / interested in helping me test it?
I especially will need help on the testing aspect. I only have a 32-bit processor, so I can only test on 32-bit OSes. Of course, I have no earthly idea why something so simple as editing some lists and telling the OS to update would behave differently on 32 vs 64 bit, but I'd prefer to test it if at all possible. :)

Thanks!
Fred
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Re: LMDE 1 >> Betsy upgrade GUI

Post by exploder »

It sounds interesting to me and some might like a gui tool to upgrade before LMDE 1 reaches end if life. I am surprised you have not received any feedback yet.
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Re: LMDE 1 >> Betsy upgrade GUI

Post by Fred Barclay »

Thanks, exploder.
I've got the basic code written and will begin testing soon. Then I'll add GUI functionality and test some more. :)

I do have a couple of problems:

1. I know nothing about gtk designing, so I was planning on writing the gui in tk (in python3). However, python-tk is not preinstalled on LMDE, so I'd need to make sure it's a dependency if I make a .deb file from this, OR f someone wants to take my code and rewrite it for gtk I'd definitely appreciate it.
2. I'd like to make this a .deb file instead of forcing the user to copy and paste the source code and then run it via terminal (the whole idea, after all, is creating this for terminal-phobes ;) ). I'm not sure of how to do this, so any advice is welcome.
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein

Return to “Programming & Development”