Looking for project

About programming and getting involved with Linux Mint development
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
putnik

Looking for project

Post by putnik »

Hello,
I like programming C/C++, Qt (basic level), but currently I am working as engineer (mostly have mathematical background). Want to switch to the software developer and C/C++ programming in Linux/Unix.
Is there any project I can join in. Do not have great experience but really want to get it. Never took part such kinds of projects. Do not need to get money just real tasks and real communication.
Any advice will be very much appreciated.
Thank you
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Looking for project

Post by jimallyn »

There are lots of opensource software projects hosted on github.com and sourceforge.net. I don't know if there is a way to search those sites for projects that are wanting help; you'll have to look around for that. Or maybe the Mint developers could use some help. Forums member xenopeek would probably know about that.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

I'm hard pressed to recommend anything specific but yeah, look for a project on GitHub to contribute to. Your GitHub contribution history can become part of your resume. What programs that you use on Linux interest you? You could look to see if they develop on GitHub and start looking for how to contribute. Like start with get the latest source code and building that locally and running it (big part of developing that :wink:). Then look at open issues and which you could help debug or help fix. See what channel for communication besides GitHub the project uses; likely you will find IRC or a mailinglist. Join that and announce your intent to work on some issue so you don't start working on something redundant.

For Linux Mint we have http://projects.linuxmint.com/ to give you some starting point for how we do development. Linux Mint does not much with C++ or Qt though. Cinnamon and MATE development is mostly in C. Cinnamon Spices are in JavaScript. Mint tools like Software Manager are Python. All are to some extent developed on top of Gnome technology (so Gtk+ instead of Qt).

If you want to work on C++ and Qt there are many programs to be found with that. For example VLC is C++ and Qt. KDE programs are I think primarily written in C++ and though they use the KDE libraries those in turn use Qt libraries. That may be an area of interest. But again, I'd look at what programs have your interest and from those look to find one that uses the programming language & technology that you want to work on.

Have fun exploring the possibilities :wink:
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

xenopeek wrote:What programs that you use on Linux interest you? You could look to see if they develop on GitHub and start looking for how to contribute. Like start with get the latest source code and building that locally and running it (big part of developing that :wink:). Then look at open issues and which you could help debug or help fix...

But again, I'd look at what programs have your interest and from those look to find one that uses the programming language & technology that you want to work on.
I couldn't agree more. Find a programme that excites you. If you don't actually enjoy the programme you want to contribute to, finding the motivation to continue contributing will be difficult.
After you find that technology you like, then narrow it down to a language you understand.

Spend some time experimenting with that program. Take notes about how it works as a programme, as well as how the individual bits of code work together. You should be able to find things that you think you could improve, or maybe run across a bug.
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein

Return to “Programming & Development”