App for teaching CLI to new users

About programming and getting involved with Linux Mint development
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
plaealefridays

App for teaching CLI to new users

Post by plaealefridays »

I'm new to python and programming but have a simple idea.

It's a desktop widget that sits on your screen and live displays CLI commands for the things you're actively doing with the GUI so you can learn from doing and learn the things you need to know as you actually use them.

I don't know how to send the input information to the app, thats way above my head at this point. Even a direction to start looking would very helpful.

Or better yet, does this app allready exist?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Re: App for teaching CLI to new users

Post by rene »

Such a widget cannot exist.

Most people consider the/a GUI to be higher level than the/a CLI but some together with the incorrect assumption that the GUI sits above the CLI; that commands typed into a terminal are somehow "the real system" and actions performed through a graphical interface get translated and/or fed to a command interface. This is not the case; Command Line and Graphical User are two Interface types which as far as the system itself is concerned exist at the same level; neither sits above nor needs the other; neither necessarily even translates to the other. How would I translate selecting a window, opening a menu, switching to another window, ...

A graphical file manager would be the most directly translatable example. It is however not hard to remember that cp means copy, rm remove and so on; it's for example the selection of files to operate on that is the potentially interesting aspect of a graphical file manager but also the exact one that isn't translatable to a command line; there's no command line equivalent to dragging a box around a few files to select them; in a command line interface you simply spell them all out, or use for example wildcards.

Certainly not anything as generic as what you seem to be envisioning exists, can exist, nor really even makes sense as a concept.
plaealefridays

Post by plaealefridays »

thanks for the info.
aes2011
Level 4
Level 4

Post by aes2011 »

What about http://web.mit.edu/mprat/Public/web/Ter ... /main.html?

I haven't tried it myself.
plaealefridays

Post by plaealefridays »

thank you so much aes2011!!
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

What you're looking for reminds me about the old days. There was a program called dBase III Plus. It was a database program.

Any commands that you performed through the menus would translate to written commands to a dot prompt CLI.

For an example, you could have something like that for commands performed in the file manager. Obviously, someone would have to write such a program.

Return to “Programming & Development”