WINE idea

About programming and getting involved with Linux Mint development
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bluedoor3

WINE idea

Post by bluedoor3 »

I'm a novice when it comes to this, but I have ideas. Coders and Idea-ers, can do without the RTFMs, please.

here it goes.....for what it's worth....

My main project was developed from scratch using Excel VBA Macro. I learnt VBA by Record Macro, looked at the code, and created
one big mess that works. It basically does a web query, yes you can Record Macro a web site, look at the code, and manipulate the tables onto a spreadsheet, and the epic begins, it never seems to end, the workbook becomes a whale, but the task gets done.

Then, along comes another MS update, win stupid 10, and my XP OS project eventually cannot do the web query because of a internet protocol, TLS 1.2.
I may get away seeing the web page using OPERA, but that's it. I can log into a particular website, but no financial transactions, it is blocked because I need to upgrade.

I can probably use win 7 pro, but in a few years I be back to square 1, no access, because TLS 3.0 is around the corner.
FORCED upgrade to Win 10, and MS can go.....itself. I personally don't really need all that "furniture".

So, I did look at WINE and this thing they do where one can make it happen in a virtual environment. But that is not really my game.
I just want the web page info with what I spent literally years to get it right, and it's all I know to code.

So,
Why not build a project in WINE/LINUX that is an application where one downloads, installs and bingo, it runs excel, and the web query/s, the ultimate test or goal to achieve, and be in tune with the TLS thing ?

My contribution would be the web site access and test, then feed back, and glitches fixed. I am sure there are others out there in similar situations.
And are stuck or forced to upgrade for no real benefit except to MS and "others" with this push marketing.

I have been to the WINE forums, tried Python, and all have opinions, suggestions, RTFMs and ignorance.

But a complete package, great idea !

Yes ?

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: WINE idea

Post by xenopeek »

I'm trying to understand what the project is you're doing and how it will benefit Linux Mint's users.

If you want to stay locked-in to Microsoft technology, can't you just use Office 365? I'd assume most Excel users can relatively easily migrate to LibreOffice Calc unless they have very big VBA scripts. LibreOffice Calc can, if so configured, run some VBA scripts. Otherwise VBA scripts would need to be converted to LibreOffice Basic.
bluedoor3

Post by bluedoor3 »

Thanks for the reply/s
  • I'm trying to understand what the project is you're doing and how it will benefit Linux Mint's users.
May help those who are bored.

Have tried LibreOffice, the macro is not qite there yet, I think to do what works.

Office365, have no intentions with it. If it's cloud based and subscriptions, then definately not.

To be honest, I'm hoping others who have migrated from MS and started fresh may be interested.
Just an idea I though I put out....
Thanks
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

the ./wine project is more about supporting Application / Software, than supporting any Macros.

some folks also use a front-end for their ./wine as well:
- Play On Linux:
https://www.playonlinux.com/en/
- Crossover:
https://www.codeweavers.com/
that's a Commercial Version, though.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
bluedoor3

Post by bluedoor3 »

• the ./wine project is more about supporting Application / Software, than supporting any Macros.
Not looking to directly support a macro.
I want to run Excel, which has the macros within it.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

which M$ office version are you now using ?.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

If your interested in running MS Office your best bet is Crossover Linux, but you'll have to pay for that one. Better in the long run to use Libreoffice or even WPS office and learn new system. What your doing is reinventing the wheel. For little gain. But to each His/her own.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

bluedoor3 wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:49 am
I'm trying to understand what the project is you're doing and how it will benefit Linux Mint's users.
May help those who are bored.
That's a pretty weak reason... if you think this will not benefit anyone other than you, why would anyone bother?
This seems like a request for help rather than an idea or community project, and that is fine. Maybe you should post it as such.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
bluedoor3

Post by bluedoor3 »

ok
delete the idea, will never be solved, in our time
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

we don't delete your post(s) as a rule, so this idea will remain - for prosperity.
8)

& maybe, move onto project B . . .
:)
bluedoor3

Post by bluedoor3 »

Ok
But I had to make sure what prosperity meant
http://www.dictionary.com/browse/prosperity
rambo919
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rambo919 »

Office 2007 works fine through playonlinux, the one's above it though are problematic because it needs microsoft server activation which can be.... problematic. A solution could be some kinda direct and non-workaround crack but these typically don't exist so probably no office on linux for you unless you can cope with 2007, if you can find a cheap office 2010 key you can test it with PoL but it looks like it's still very buggy.

Remember "microsoft loves linux".... but it loves windows more.

EDIT: nope current ver of PoL is bust for MS software, a way of manually installing 2007 seems best, though it's a bit of effort to get it just right.
Drugwash
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Drugwash »

@bluedoor3: You still did not offer any real details about your project; if it's not private or illegal, can you at least share the URL(s) you gather info from through the Excel macros, the specific table(s) you need to retrieve and how you need them to be processed and displayed? Maybe there is another way to do all that without requiring M$ software - either through native Linux code or other FOSS languages even running under Wine (such as AutoHotkey).

Incidentally I built a similar AHK script for myself which downloads the page code, retrieves desired data using RegEx, stores data in its own database (which needs to be updated at some point to use SQLite) and displays it upon request in a graphical interface. It's been developed in XP and works almost perfectly in Wine.

Basically what I'm saying is that "there are more ways to skin a cat", and if you would share details on your project maybe someone could point you to an alternative working solution.

EDIT:
Oh well, I forgot to look at the date... :oops:

Return to “Programming & Development”