gm10's Linux Mint Tools PPA

Get involved, create or participate in a project.
gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Re: gm10's Linux Mint Tools PPA

Post by gm10 »

oldgranola wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:53 pm
As far as I see, I had not installed the low latency version before but now it wants to update it
I cannot reproduce that locally but I'll add it to the list of things to double check in a Mint VM.
Tune up your LM 19+: ppa:gm10/linuxmint-tools
Pjotr
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Pjotr »

Synchronized my PPA with the latest and greatest, and replaced "bijgewerkt pakket" in the Dutch translations by "actualisering". Inspired by the German "Aktualisierung" (good find!).
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 20 Ulyana
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 »

Pjotr wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:07 pm
Synchronized my PPA with the latest and greatest,
currently even mine is "stable" because I haven't gotten around to working much on it :)
Pjotr
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Pjotr »

The Bodhi devs are retiring their graphical updater eepdate in the upcoming bèta of Bodhi 5.1. They state that no other system updater will be installed by default in the bèta, and updates/upgrades should be accomplished via a terminal or (if the user chooses) some other third-party app.

Now there's at least one Bodhi user (other than I) that currently uses your tools (and is happy with it):
https://www.linuxquestions.org/question ... ost6087171

...but I expect that more will follow. Is there a way to count the use of my semi-frozen mirror PPA of your tools? It would be interesting to add those figures to your count of your PPA. I'm not sure whether I already asked that before, by the way....
gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 »

Pjotr wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:52 pm
Is there a way to count the use of my semi-frozen mirror PPA of your tools? It would be interesting to add those figures to your count of your PPA. I'm not sure whether I already asked that before, by the way....
I'm not tracking usage, but I can get the download numbers for any PPA, I've give you those for yours before. I'll try to do it later, I don't have my tool for that at hand. Otherwise this weekend.
smurphos
Level 17
Level 17

Post by smurphos »

Could do with some line wrapping here. Not sure why the text box has ended up so tiny aswell.

Software Sources > Maintenance > Restore Official Package Version > Details of an error condition expanded....

Another little buglet - if you start a downgrade operation and then cancel from one of the child GUI's the main Software Sources window hangs indefinitely.

Finally the error was created by attempting to downgrade plank from a PPA version without explicitly checking it's libraries (also PPA version) in the GUI for downgrade. I'd hope that it could work that out and instead prompt the user that other not explicitly selected packages would also be downgraded.

The full error message was

Code: Select all

The following packages have unmet dependencies:

plank: Depends: libplank1 (= 0.11.4-2) but 0.11.4+git20190505.96bbb1d2-0ubuntu1~18.04~ricotz1 is to be installed
       Depends: libc6 (>= 2.7) but 2.27-3ubuntu1 is to be installed
       Depends: libcairo2 (>= 1.10.0) but 1.15.10-2ubuntu0.1 is to be installed
       Depends: libglib2.0-0 (>= 2.40.0) but 2.56.4-0ubuntu0.18.04.4 is to be installed
       Depends: libgtk-3-0 (>= 3.10.0) but 3.22.30-1ubuntu4 is to be installed
       Depends: libpango-1.0-0 (>= 1.14.0) but 1.40.14-1ubuntu0.1 is to be installed
       Depends: libpangocairo-1.0-0 (>= 1.14.0) but 1.40.14-1ubuntu0.1 is to be installed
       Depends: libwnck-3-0 (>= 2.91.6) but 3.24.1-2 is to be installed
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
smurphos
Level 17
Level 17

Post by smurphos »

It would be nice to have access to the Kernel related Expert preferences directly from the standalone Kernel Manager window.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 »

smurphos wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:15 am
Could do with some line wrapping here. Not sure why the text box has ended up so tiny aswell.

Software Sources > Maintenance > Restore Official Package Version > Details of an error condition expanded....
That's a problem with Synaptic/packagekit. I thought Mint actually tried to fix that in their Synaptic fork, guess something was overlooked or it didn't work.
smurphos wrote:
Another little buglet - if you start a downgrade operation and then cancel from one of the child GUI's the main Software Sources window hangs indefinitely.
Thanks, will fix.
smurphos wrote:
Finally the error was created by attempting to downgrade plank from a PPA version without explicitly checking it's libraries (also PPA version) in the GUI for downgrade. I'd hope that it could work that out and instead prompt the user that other not explicitly selected packages would also be downgraded.
It's possible, but would raise the complexity a lot. I'm not sure I want to invest the time (that I currently don't have at all) but I'll keep it in mind.
smurphos wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:11 am
It would be nice to have access to the Kernel related Expert preferences directly from the standalone Kernel Manager window.
You already do, button in the upper left corner.
smurphos
Level 17
Level 17

Post by smurphos »

gm10 wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:39 pm
smurphos wrote:
I think we are misunderstanding each other - I've got

I'd like to see quick access to this screen. With Kernel Manager being available as a discrete application it doesn't make much sense to have to launch an apparently separate application mintupdate to access relevant settings.

I guess the logical solution is to remove the Expert tab from mintupdate's preferences and add a preferences shortcut to the standalone Kernel Manager burger menu to access a single preferences window for what's currently in the Expert tab.
gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 »

smurphos wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:32 am
gm10 wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:39 pm
smurphos wrote:
I think we are misunderstanding each other
No, we're not, I said upper left. But you are looking at the integrated version, i.e. you've got Update Manager running.

While Update Manager is running, Kernel Manager will always be the integrated version, no matter how you start it, so Update Manager users can benefit from the integration features. And for the integrated version I thought it would be confusing to have access to the same settings both in Preferences and in Kernel Manager. And because those settings can also affect how kernel updates are handled, even if you never open Kernel Manager at all, it wouldn't make sense to remove them from Preferences. At least that was my train of thought.
smurphos
Level 17
Level 17

Post by smurphos »

gm10 wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:16 am
No, we're not, I said upper left. But you are looking at the integrated version, i.e. you've got Update Manager running.
Ok got it - so I've always got Update manager set to only show it's tray icon when updates are available, so wouldn't necessarily distinguish whether I was using the integrated version or not - i.e. my impression if I launch Kernel Manager via the Menu is that's it is a standalone app, and I'd expect a consistent GUI irrespective of the status of another application.

Personally I think it would be better if the left-hand hamburger was always present irrespective of whether there is a running update manager instance or not if that's feasible.

And before you ask - yes I've just started using your PPA in my main install having had it sat in secondary installs largely unused for a good while.
gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 »

smurphos wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:26 pm
Ok got it - so I've always got Update manager set to only show it's tray icon when updates are available, so wouldn't necessarily distinguish whether I was using the integrated version or not
[...]
Personally I think it would be better if the left-hand hamburger was always present irrespective of whether there is a running update manager instance or not if that's feasible.
I see your point. I guess I could either make both versions behave the same way, or give the integrated version access to the main preferences window. I'll think about it.
trytip
Level 13
Level 13

Post by trytip »

we need a refresh button for kernel manager. no sense of having kernel manager separated from update manager if i have to open update manager > refresh > and then open kernel manager

also update manager always say it is refreshing when i open it so i have to wait. after the initial refresh i still have to use the refresh button as it didn't actually refresh repositories.

personally i do not want to see any refreshing going on until i press a button to refresh, but if refreshing will be done automatically then by all means please refresh it thoroughly so that updates and kernels are current, no?
ColdBootII
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ColdBootII »

Today I've noticed that I cannot access the MintMenu Preferences window. Tried reloading it, changing WM (thinking it could be a Comiz thing) and none of that helped.

How do I reset it to its default settings?
ColdBootII
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ColdBootII »

Looks like gm10 has abandoned us. :(

Best wishes, gm10!
Hope you are well and alright.
JoeFootball
Level 9
Level 9

Post by JoeFootball »

ColdBootII wrote: Looks like gm10 has abandoned us. :(
Where did you get that information?
Pjotr
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Pjotr »

ColdBootII wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:19 pm
Looks like gm10 has abandoned us. :(
Just because he didn't reply to you within six hours? :shock:
ColdBootII
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ColdBootII »

JoeFootball wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:31 pm
Where did you get that information?
Nowhere, it is based on a hunch. He's last post was 2 weeks ago and forums post counter stopped at exactly 11,000... A symbolic coincidence???

Perhaps the time has come to move on (for me too)...

Thanks for all the fishes, cheers! Image
MrEen
Level 20
Level 20

Post by MrEen »

I somewhat suspected the same about a week ago.

And catweazel left on New Year's Eve.

I hope they both are doing well and enjoying life!
trytip
Level 13
Level 13

Post by trytip »

MrEen wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:02 pm
I hope they both are doing well and enjoying life!
i hope you are doing well the same :D i too may times stayed off the "grid" countless months but no one noticed :( :cry: :lol:
but don't worry folks, life in real mode has nothing to do with internets. when that corona virus mutates into a zombie apocalypse abandon all hope and run for the hills.

no, but seriously people do have lives and we should respect that hopefully their lives are better not worse

Return to “Community Projects”