gm10's Linux Mint Tools PPA

Get involved, create or participate in a project.
gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Re: gm10's Linux Mint Tools PPA

Post by gm10 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:40 am

trytip wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:31 am
gm10 wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:36 am
do I really want to override other themes for that?
umm, YEAH !!! i spent months polishing and editing and creating my own icons only to find out they weren't all being used. the desktop wants one set, the application wants another, the theme doesn't know which way to go and then developers decide hey i'm just going to take away the users ability to have their own icons in the file manager toolbar and make some ugly symbolic universal pictures that everyone will have and no one will be able to change it. that last part was directed at the XFCE developers and the ugly mess they made of thunar, not sure how it is in 4.14 but 4.13 turned me off xfce simply for the fact i can't use my own icons in the file manager
See, that's exactly the feeling I had about this. Having your theme's icons everywhere gives the environment consistency. On the other hand I really want to shrink down that mintupdate toolbar and get rid of that current icon choice (which is actually the mail reply icon and looks bad in some themes for obvious reasons), yet that bugged GNOME icon annoys me enough to probably go ahead and force the same icons on everyone after all despite your justified indignation. Toolbar only though, not the menus.

We'll see. I'll have to sleep on it. :P
trytip wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:31 am
if you clean up a theme will you post it in your ppa?
I have my own cleaned up desktop + icon themes but it's personal use only, I haven't released it. The PPA here is strictly Mint-tools, anyway, so if I ever wanted to release them they would have to go on another PPA.
Tune up your LM 19.x: ppa:gm10/linuxmint-tools

trytip
Level 11
Level 11

Post by trytip » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:00 am

gm10 wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:40 am
you're safe there, my friend. i trust you to make a better judgement on symbolic icons than the whole GNOME/GTK developer team :lol: what i meant is if you take away the user ability to change icons, they better be darn good looking and practical. seems gnome wants to do away with all icons and have text only toolbars

i silver polished my menu and toolbar icons one at a time in gimp and ran it through what i thought was the best contrast and color and then with updates they were being used less and less especially in cinnamon.

here's caja and pluma on mint 17.3 mate with my silver toolbar and menu icons. i miss my old systems and themes :(

ps: notice the small dark menu icon dot on the titlebar on the left? why do developers think it's better looking to have this dot lighter in a dark theme? i changed it to dark

gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:36 am

trytip wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:00 am
gm10 wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:40 am
you're safe there, my friend. i trust you to make a better judgement on symbolic icons than the whole GNOME/GTK developer team :lol: what i meant is if you take away the user ability to change icons, they better be darn good looking and practical. seems gnome wants to do away with all icons and have text only toolbars

i silver polished my menu and toolbar icons one at a time in gimp and ran it through what i thought was the best contrast and color and then with updates they were being used less and less especially in cinnamon.
Cinnamon likes its symbolics, yep, but you can disable those in your theme. The big advantage of symbolics is, of course, that they work with different backgrounds. Something I will fix for the "pseudo"-symbolic icons mintupdate currently uses for the update listing by the way. Plus they give an overall more uniform look I suppose, but I am not firmly in either camp.

And indeed, GNOME has deprecated icons on buttons, menu items and pretty much did away with toolbars entirely in favour of their application menu. I mostly disagree on that though, an icon can help visual recognition of the option you are looking for in my opinion.
trytip wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:00 am
ps: notice the small dark menu icon dot on the titlebar on the left? why do developers think it's better looking to have this dot lighter in a dark theme? i changed it to dark
Some themes hide it completely actually, and others yet show the application icon there. I'm currently showing a generic icon there in my theme but mostly as a reminder that it's there in some themes. Personally I'd be fine with removing it again - Alt+Space should I ever need the menu.

PS: Lol the GTK SVG rendering bugs:
(Inkscape or any SVG viewer on the left, mintupdate using the icon on the right)

smurphos
Level 13
Level 13

Post by smurphos » Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:11 am

Mmm - not keen on the refresh icon...

For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:22 am

smurphos wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:11 am
Mmm - not keen on the refresh icon...
Lol, I hate GTK so much, you have no idea. The Clear icon in your screenshot looks broken, too. As if rendering a frigging svg was rocket science... (also see the screenshot in my post above).

I didn't realize this also depended on the desktop environment though. Guess I'll have to do some testing with Cinnamon. :(

edit: Actually I tracked the bug down to librsvg2 - the version used in Mint (all editions) seems to have some issues. Personally I'm not using a Mint base so I hadn't noticed because it rendered fine on my system. My apologies. :oops:

You'll have to live with broken icons for a little bit (the update type icons are broken as well), not worth making an emergency patch for.

ColdBootII
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ColdBootII » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:38 am

gm10 wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:22 am
I didn't realize this also depended on the desktop environment though. Guess I'll have to do some testing with Cinnamon. :(

edit: Actually I tracked the bug down to librsvg2 - the version used in Mint (all editions) seems to have some issues. Personally I'm not using a Mint base so I hadn't noticed because it rendered fine on my system. My apologies. :oops:

You'll have to live with broken icons for a little bit (the update type icons are broken as well), not worth making an emergency patch for.
Yes, in Mate, it renders in the same way.

gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:57 am

Yes, it's in all editions. My bad, I never thought to verify the rendering on Mint, I didn't know the library in Mint was bugged like that. I already have it fixed, but I don't like to spam updates and this is just a cosmetic issue, so you get to enjoy this for a week:

:P

On the upside, while finding a way around the issue I changed the Clear icon to something more fitting the overall theme I went for:

gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:45 am

gm10 wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:57 am
I don't like to spam updates and this is just a cosmetic issue, so you get to enjoy this for a week:
That said, the list of other fixes and changes had gotten long enough already to warrant a release today. So if you still see a problem after today's patch (5.8.1) please do let me know. Should be fine though.

ColdBootII
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ColdBootII » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:01 am

Thanks gm, it looks good now...

Do you think it'll fix at times broken indicator images in Mate panel as well? Sometimes it happens that only half of connection icon is visible, maybe due to the same bug.

gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:08 am

ColdBootII wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:01 am
Do you think it'll fix at times broken indicator images in Mate panel as well? Sometimes it happens that only half of connection icon is visible, maybe due to the same bug.
No, most certainly not, mintupdate's icons have got nothing to do with the network applet - I'm assuming you'd be using the default Network Manager applet (nm-applet). I never had a problem with that myself but I am not running Mint's old panel version so it's well possible that bug has been fixed in the meantime. I note that Cinnamon's panel seems to be having a similar bug where only a quarter of one icon will be shown, there's plenty of threads about that.

ColdBootII
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ColdBootII » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:53 am

I was not implying that UM's icon is doing it rather, I think you mentioned somewhere that you'll push a patched version of librsvg library - possibly a figment of my imagination. :mrgreen:

Anyways, it happens intermittently and merely looks awkward while the functionality is not impaired and mate-panel --replace is a momentary fix.

Thanks,
Cheers :D

gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:08 am

ColdBootII wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:53 am
I was not implying that UM's icon is doing it rather, I think you mentioned somewhere that you'll push a patched version of librsvg library - possibly a figment of my imagination. :mrgreen:
You must have misunderstood. What I did was work around the the bug in the library by modifying the icon files themselves.

ColdBootII
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ColdBootII » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:02 am

Yes, indeed I must have misinterpreted something. Anyway, a week passed and I didn't see a single broken indicator icon. Perhaps, fiddling with panel size and icon positioning, resolved it.

Cheers :D

gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:50 am

Question: Since somebody brought up contributing to translations in another thread, is there any further interest in that, and if yes, what's your preferred way of doing it - via launchpad like for Mint, via GitHub, Transifex, something else?

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr » Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:59 am

gm10 wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:50 am
Question: Since somebody brought up contributing to translations in another thread, is there any further interest in that, and if yes, what's your preferred way of doing it - via launchpad like for Mint, via GitHub, Transifex, something else?
Nothing beats Transifex! Incomparable ease of use. And protection against locale-breaking typo's (you know what I'm referring to...).

But GitHub will do as well, of course. Anyway: although I don't use your Mint tools myself, you can count me in as Dutch translator. Consider it a neighbourly service. :mrgreen:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.2 Tina
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:58 am

Pjotr wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:59 am
Nothing beats Transifex! Incomparable ease of use. And protection against locale-breaking typo's (you know what I'm referring to...).

But GitHub will do as well, of course. Anyway: although I don't use your Mint tools myself, you can count me in as Dutch translator. Consider it a neighbourly service. :mrgreen:
Thanks a lot, neighbour. So my next goal clearly has to be to get you to use the PPA as well. Just a matter of time. :D

And personally I was thinking Transifex, too. Also probably the most accessible since you can log in with OpenID. Will have to look into how best to set that up.

Drugwash
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Drugwash » Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:19 am

Man, a lot has been discussed here and I didn't get any mail notification! Argh!

First, thank you smurphos for identifying the monospace font issue in the Mint-X theme. I've added that fix to my modded theme.
BTW, I had sent you an e-mail long time ago right after our PM chat; maybe it went directly to spam because of my nickname. :?

Then, sorry gm10 but symbolic icons are fugly and I hate them everywhere, Updater included. I have set XP icons for my theme and I'd really like them to be used instead (if they exist, I'm still missing about 7800 variations if my AHK script counted correctly). Can we find a good workaround?

There's another issue that appears randomly, no idea in which situations: Updater doesn't fully follow the current theme, i.e. progressbars come from a bluish theme (Adwaita?) instead of my pink theme. I know this happened before and supposedly was fixed but I experienced it again a couple of times since. Maybe a switch to root or something else triggered it.

Oh and I still see those dreaded thick fading scrollbars in Updater although I disabled that un-feature in Themes settings. How can that thing be gotten rid of completely and system-wide? I find it one of the most stupid inventions GUI-wise (I think I already stated that before).

gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:41 am

Drugwash wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:19 am
Then, sorry gm10 but symbolic icons are fugly and I hate them everywhere, Updater included. I have set XP icons for my theme and I'd really like them to be used instead (if they exist, I'm still missing about 7800 variations if my AHK script counted correctly). Can we find a good workaround?
I'll probably stick with them now, but you can still override them for I didn't hardcode them, I'm still going through the theme system. All you need is your theme to include its own versions of these:

Code: Select all

mintupdate-toolbar-edit-clear-symbolic
mintupdate-toolbar-system-software-install-symbolic
mintupdate-toolbar-edit-select-all-symbolic
mintupdate-toolbar-view-refresh-symbolic
Drugwash wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:19 am
There's another issue that appears randomly, no idea in which situations: Updater doesn't fully follow the current theme, i.e. progressbars come from a bluish theme (Adwaita?) instead of my pink theme. I know this happened before and supposedly was fixed but I experienced it again a couple of since. Maybe a switch to root or something else triggered it.
I don't think I had ever even tried to fix that before the current version, which should indeed fix it. To the best of my knowledge there's no part of the application that's not themed correctly now. Even things like Timeshift are themed if you access them via Update Manager whereas they are not themed if you access them directly from the menu. Superior technology. :P

If you nevertheless run into an incorrectly themed popup with the current version do let me know though (take a screenshot for good measure).

Drugwash
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Drugwash » Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:55 am

Ah, thanks for the icon names, I'll look into setting them appropriately. I could use the full set of icon names used system-wide and their placement in various applications, that would really help in fixing any issues. Any idea how one could get the names of the icons used in certain applications?

I'll try to get a screenshot if the untheme happens again, provided there's enough time for that. Must've been in a hurry or unfocused last time, otherwise would've done it then.

gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:39 pm

PSA: Turns out I had managed to break the automatic updates functionality. Anybody solely relying on automatic updates will have to manually self-update to version 5.8.3 to fix this, either by running the Update Manager GUI once and refreshing, or in a terminal:

Code: Select all

apt update
apt install mintupdate
Terribly sorry about this. :oops:

Return to “Community Projects”