gm10's Linux Mint Tools PPA

Get involved, create or participate in a project.
all41
Level 15
Level 15

Re: gm10's Linux Mint Tools PPA

Post by all41 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:32 am

After the last mintupdate 1:5.8.5.1~gm10 update the UM Refresh function seems to not check for
updated packages. The 'check mark/your system is up to date' message changes to
'refreshing the list of updates' for just a second or so, and then reverts back to
'check mark/your system is up to date message'. There was no online packet activity.

UM could not discover the available update for thermald.
apt update found the upgradable package and only after that thermald appeared in UM.

gm10
Level 19
Level 19

Post by gm10 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:43 pm

all41 wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:32 am
After the last mintupdate 1:5.8.5.1~gm10 update the UM Refresh function seems to not check for
updated packages.
OMG, that's why I shouldn't do fixes late at night, my packaging "fix" actually broke it for real, I did a dpkg-divert for the wrong package. :(

I'm afraid everybody must run a manual update in a terminal window (if you had already upgraded Update Manager this week):

Code: Select all

apt update
The mint-common upgrade to 1:2.1.5~gm10 will become available to you then (Update Manager will refresh itself after a short while), and once you have that installed all should be working correctly again.

/hangs head in shame :oops:
Tune up your LM 19.x: ppa:gm10/linuxmint-tools

all41
Level 15
Level 15

Post by all41 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:42 pm

Yes, that seems to have taken care of the issue--Thanks

Drugwash
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Drugwash » Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:45 pm

@ gm10: Funny thing is apt update found 15 upgradable packages while Updater afterwards only found 8. Didn't care enough to see the list of upgradables. I'm sure the issues on my particular list won't get fixed anytime soon, if at all, so I might even completely lose interest in updating. I like steady things anyway.

BTW, late at night you should be having sex or at least having some drinks and watching good movies. ;)

smurphos
Level 12
Level 12

Post by smurphos » Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:49 am

gm10 wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:43 pm
Tut tut. I'm still stuck. Even went as far as disabling the PPA, restoring packages to default (took 3 runs to clear a couple of errors doing that) and then renabling the PPA.

Preparing to unpack .../mint-common_1%3a2.1.5~gm10_all.deb ...
No diversion 'diversion of /usr/bin/mint-refresh-cache by mintupdate', none removed.
Adding 'diversion of /usr/bin/mint-refresh-cache to /usr/bin/mint-refresh-cache.mintupdate by mint-common'
dpkg-divert: error: rename involves overwriting '/usr/bin/mint-refresh-cache.mintupdate' with
  different file '/usr/bin/mint-refresh-cache', not allowed
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

gm10
Level 19
Level 19

Post by gm10 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:45 am

smurphos wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:49 am
gm10 wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:43 pm
Tut tut. I'm still stuck. Even went as far as disabling the PPA, restoring packages to default (took 3 runs to clear a couple of errors doing that) and then renabling the PPA.

Preparing to unpack .../mint-common_1%3a2.1.5~gm10_all.deb ...
No diversion 'diversion of /usr/bin/mint-refresh-cache by mintupdate', none removed.
Adding 'diversion of /usr/bin/mint-refresh-cache to /usr/bin/mint-refresh-cache.mintupdate by mint-common'
dpkg-divert: error: rename involves overwriting '/usr/bin/mint-refresh-cache.mintupdate' with
  different file '/usr/bin/mint-refresh-cache', not allowed
So you did not have the diversion but you had the renamed file it created. I honestly don't know how that could happen but I updated the packaging to allow for that as well in 2.1.6, available now. But it went through cleanly before that for me already, I did download all the versions from launchpad and can upgrade/downgrade between them freely without errors. :? So please confirm that it actually works this time, for I am flying slightly blind here. If I ever move a file between packages again I'll be sure to rename it next time. :P

The downgrade errors to the official version were fixed by the way, but not in the initial 2.1.4 release that you still have, I had hinted as much when I initially put out that fix. It was too late for me to think about at that time.

Drugwash
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Drugwash » Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:31 am

I like the changelog note for mint-common 1:2.1.6. :lol:

Related to apt update, I ran it again a minute ago and found two upgradable packages:

2 packages can be upgraded. Run 'apt list --upgradable' to see them.
dragos@Samsung-R580:~$ apt list --upgradable
Listing... Done
libavcodec-extra/bionic,bionic 7:4.1.3-0ppa1~18.04 all [upgradable from: 7:3.4.6-0ubuntu0.18.04.1]
mint-common/bionic,bionic 1:2.1.6~gm10 all [upgradable from: 1:2.1.5~gm10]
Right after that, Updater notified me about mint-common having an update, but nothing about libavcodec-extra. I even hit Refresh, to no avail. Also nothing after installing the mint-common update and the auto-refresh.
I wonder why.

Additionally, after updating mint-common I ran apt list --upgradable again. Here's the result - kinda confusing for me:

Listing... Done
libavcodec-extra/bionic,bionic 7:4.1.3-0ppa1~18.04 all [upgradable from: 7:3.4.6-0ubuntu0.18.04.1]
N: There are 2 additional versions. Please use the '-a' switch to see them.
dragos@Samsung-R580:~$ apt list --upgradable -a
Listing... Done
libavcodec-extra/bionic-updates,bionic-updates,bionic-security,bionic-security,now 7:3.4.6-0ubuntu0.18.04.1 all [installed,upgradable to: 7:4.1.3-0ppa1~18.04]
libavcodec-extra/bionic,bionic 7:3.4.2-2 all
What should I choose and how...? :?

gm10
Level 19
Level 19

Post by gm10 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:43 am

Drugwash wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:31 am
Related to apt update, I ran it again a minute ago and found two upgradable packages:

2 packages can be upgraded. Run 'apt list --upgradable' to see them.
Listing... Done
mint-common/bionic,bionic 1:2.1.6~gm10 all [upgradable from: 1:2.1.5~gm10]
Right after that, Updater notified me about mint-common having an update, but nothing about libavcodec-extra. I even hit Refresh, to no avail. Also nothing after installing the mint-common update and the auto-refresh.
I wonder why.
The other two reasons Update Manager will not show an update is if it either is blacklisted, or if it cannot be installed due to dependency conflicts. I'll take a bet at the second case considering you are trying to install that library from some PPA, as the version string indicates. Run apt install libavcodec-extra to know for sure.

Drugwash
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Drugwash » Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:15 am

There's nothing blacklisted on my end.
Indeed that package depends on another one (libavcodec-extra58) which is not installed but appears in Synaptic's list as installable/upgradable. :?
However, when I marked it for installation the can of worms opened wide:
Screenshot from 2019-09-20 12-00-33.png
I can't risk having Wine screwed up, my work depends on it. So I guess I'll leave that codec package be for as long as it keeps working correctly.
No idea who really needs it - could be Wine itself, could be any other package. Thanks for the heads up!

Just one question if I may: would it be possible/feasible/advisable to have Updater show such situations in the list as a hint for the user that something may have to be reviewed/analyzed/changed? Like having the items non-installable but present there, with a warning sign and some information in the Package and Description tabs?
You'll probably say 'no' - or most likely a 'hell no!' :D - but you know I had to ask, just for my peace of mind (if I could ever achieve that again).

gm10
Level 19
Level 19

Post by gm10 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:28 am

Drugwash wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:15 am
Just one question if I may: would it be possible/feasible/advisable to have Updater show such situations in the list as a hint for the user that something may have to be reviewed/analyzed/changed? Like having the items non-installable but present there, with a warning sign and some information in the Package and Description tabs?
You'll probably say 'no' - or most likely a 'hell no!' :D - but you know I had to ask, just for my peace of mind (if I could ever achieve that again).
No, I do actually say yes in principle. I do have a branch where I started writing code to add to the status messages the number of blacklisted, held and broken updates. That said, it's not in yet because I think that if I display the status there must be some way for the user to see what packages we are talking about and to do something about it. Which leads to adding functionality for managing held packages via the GUI, and to fix broken installs via the GUI or at least see the details about the conflict. Which makes it very non-trivial. There are also some implementation complications considering Update Manager works with source packages and all these issues arise from binary packages.

So all in all, yes, I'd like to eventually see this but I'm not quite sure yet how best to do this.

Drugwash
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Drugwash » Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:42 am

Wow, that's a surprise. :) OK, how about a slingshot to Synaptic? That one can easily provide all the needed details. Not sure if it can be launched with parameters like which section to open in, which package(s) to have preselected for displaying details etc. But having the hints in Updater and just launching Synaptic would certainly be better than now, when one only accidentally could find out about potential future issues. My opinion anyway. ;)

gm10
Level 19
Level 19

Post by gm10 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:09 am

Drugwash wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:42 am
OK, how about a slingshot to Synaptic?
Synaptic ignores package hold and upgrades them, anyway, so it's no solution for that.

Broken packages Synaptic does handle in a way but in a dangerous way, for it will try to remove conflicting packages. You get the popup to confirm but do I want to trust the user to know what the right answer is there? No offense to the user's abilities implied, but I do believe that the users expect that my software won't do anything to potentially harm their system. So I'm not going to point to Synaptic here. Besides, Synaptic isn't helpful at all when it cannot remove anything, because then all you get is a blank popup:

So no, Synaptic wouldn't be helpful with how I want this to be working. Besides, despite the recent changes towards Synaptic for some tasks, eventually I'd still like to get rid of it.

Drugwash
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Drugwash » Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:31 am

Well, it was an idea. Not so good one apparently. Maybe someone else could chime in.
But still, considering what you just said it may be a good idea for someone to fix/improve Synaptic rather than having it be shoved away everytime because it just doesn't fit the task. That's because it's quite an important tool for GUI-oriented users. And duplicating (parts of) the code to build similar functionality in different tools would just be a waste of time and talent. Or wouldn't it? Dunno. :?

gm10
Level 19
Level 19

Post by gm10 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:15 am

Whether to fork something or to create your own is always a loaded decision. In hindsight creating e.g. my own Update Manager would have been much more efficient than forking the existing one, but when I originally started contributing to Mint I did not know how much I was going to end up doing, I just wanted to fix some bugs with the existing Update Manager.

On the other hand, adding the missing functionality to Synaptic I already know would be more work than creating it from scratch. I also already have my own custom light-weight installer that handles the mainline kernels, I had to create that because Synaptic cannot do that. So, the sane approach for me would be to extend my existing installer and have it handle everything. It would be the least amount of work and would give me the best integration along with the most amount of control, like handling some errors automatically during the update process instead of presenting an error message to the user.

The reason I haven't done it yet: Time is a limited resource and Synaptic works well enough for the most part, so this is on the "would be nice to have" list.

Drugwash
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Drugwash » Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:30 am

Ah, I see. You're right: when something is broken/limited by design then better follow the saying that just came to me:
don't patch - start from scratch! :D

Time is but what we make of it. We don't own it - it owns us. So we better do what we like and what we can, while we can.
Now why the heck can't I practice what I preach... :roll:

smurphos
Level 12
Level 12

Post by smurphos » Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:25 am

gm10 wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:45 am
The downgrade errors to the official version were fixed by the way, but not in the initial 2.1.4 release that you still have, I had hinted as much when I initially put out that fix. It was too late for me to think about at that time.
No worries - I'm all back up and running now although I did have a problem updating mintupdate back from default to your version yesterday due to init-system-helpers not finding any version above 1.51 for a while. Dunno what was going on there, I guess a repo glitch. Re-adding the PPA has worked fine today.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

gm10
Level 19
Level 19

Post by gm10 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:21 am

smurphos wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:25 am
I did have a problem updating mintupdate back from default to your version yesterday due to init-system-helpers not finding any version above 1.51 for a while. Dunno what was going on there, I guess a repo glitch.
No, this is actually a major problem on a clean installed 19.2, although I have no idea how you managed to get around it other than by manually upgrading that package (might be helpful to know).

The problem is that Mint removed the pins for Ubuntu's repositories in 19.2 (https://github.com/linuxmint/mintsystem ... f6a1e68151), which makes the backports repository unavailable except for manual installation therefrom, yet that is where the init-system-helpers version that I depend upon resides in.

Anybody who upgraded from a previous version of Mint would already have the newer version of that package, so they would not run into the issue, but a clean 19.2 would be unable to install for it that has the older version installed (add it to the list of issues with a clean 19.2 install).

I don't think it is viable to ask "clean" 19.2 users to run apt install init-system-helpers/bionic-backports once, is it? So instead I guess I'll have to roll back the (good) packaging changes I had made and possibly try to recreate them with some manual scripting without relying on init-system-helpers. :(

smurphos
Level 12
Level 12

Post by smurphos » Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:43 am

Ahh it's all making sense now.

IIRC I got the bionic-backports version offered via a Restore Official Packages from your version of Software Sources......it was early this morning I wasn't completely awake.

gm10
Level 19
Level 19

Post by gm10 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:46 am

smurphos wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:43 am
IIRC I got the bionic-backports version offered via a Restore Official Packages from your version of Software Sources......it was early this morning I wasn't completely awake.
Confirmed, seems I am ignoring pins for that one. Guess I should fix that as well (edit: done).
Last edited by gm10 on Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

gm10
Level 19
Level 19

Post by gm10 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:35 am

Regarding the mintupdate dependency issue, I went with the much simpler solution to pin that package in mintsystem and changed the installation instructions to install mintsystem first.

Also a reminder for those who previously missed it: If clicking on the Refresh button in Update Manager does not produce a popup, you must run this once in a terminal window:

apt update

Return to “Community Projects”