gm10's Linux Mint Tools PPA

Get involved, create or participate in a project.
Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Re: gm10's Linux Mint Tools PPA

Post by Pjotr » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:40 am

gm10 wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:25 am
shake my head at your theory about Napoleon's military success being due to his name
The French wouldn't have appointed a Hombelin Poircuitte as general, so the military genius of poor Mr. Poircuitte would have remained hidden and unused. :twisted:
gm10 wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:25 am
Pjotr, you may or may not have noticed, I already changed the specific example to a generic "Package Manager" for now.
OK.... By the way, have you already considered naming the packages after your full forum nick, i.e. gm10 ?

So:

gm10backup
gm10common
gm10drivers
gm10menu
gm10sources
gm10update

Anyhow: before I launch my small advertising campaign and dedicated web page, I would like to have a definite name. It would not look good if the name would change during (or shortly after) the campaign....
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.2 Tina
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

gm10
Level 19
Level 19

Post by gm10 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:27 am

Of course, if it gets renamed we do it only once, after all this includes tearing down this PPA and creating a new one and all that. It's an option but won't happen tomorrow, it's for down the road. Even the naming decision aside, if I rename the packages, getting them all to downgrade cleanly to their original names when someone wants to remove the PPA isn't entirely trivial so this would require some work and testing.
Tune up your LM 19.x: ppa:gm10/linuxmint-tools

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr » Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:13 am

gm10 wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:08 pm
What I can offer you, by the way, is a button on the existing update desktop notification to bring up the mintupdate window. That's on my list, anyway, I just keep forgetting - originally it depended on another change I needed to make but that is done now, so if I remember I'll add that with the next update.
Besides that useful button, it would also be handy if clicking the mintupdate icon in Ubuntu would trigger the "show" feature, just like in the official mintupdate in Mint. In Ubuntu, now you need to activate "show" from the dropdown menu, which is an extra action.

gm10
Level 19
Level 19

Post by gm10 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:37 am

Pjotr wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:13 am
Besides that useful button, it would also be handy if clicking the mintupdate icon in Ubuntu would trigger the "show" feature, just like in the official mintupdate in Mint. In Ubuntu, now you need to activate "show" from the dropdown menu, which is an extra action.
Not possible with AppIndicator, that was Ubuntu's design decision. You need to use a desktop with deprecated StatusIcon support to use the old style icon, for some of them there are extensions to do that if they don't support it out of the box. There's also Mint's project for 19.3 surrounding this matter (see recent blog posts) but currently I have no plans of getting on board with that, although that's not set in stone.

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr » Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:50 am

gm10 wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:37 am
Pjotr wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:13 am
Not possible with AppIndicator, that was Ubuntu's design decision.
Right. Well, let's say that stuff like that increases my appreciation of Mint. :evil:

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr » Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:43 am

Update: I intend to start my PR activities for using your tools in Ubuntu 18.04.x, after the next regular release of your tools. Based on the following approach, which I've tested in a VM with Ubuntu 18.04.3:

Edit: added enabling Appindicator and removed steps 3 and 8.

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository -y ppa:gm10/linuxmint-tools

sudo add-apt-repository -y ppa:teejee2008/ppa
sudo apt-get update

4. Ignore any updates offered to you by Ubuntu's updater and run this command:

sudo apt-get install mintsystem

sudo apt-get install mintupdate mintdrivers timeshift

sudo apt-get remove update-notifier
This will remove the following Ubuntu packages: ubuntu-desktop (redundant meta package), ubuntu-release-upgrader-gtk, update-manager, update-notifier.

7. Enable Appindicator in the Preferences of mintupdate.

8. Reboot.

Did you test them in Ubuntu 19.10 as well?
Last edited by Pjotr on Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:25 am, edited 4 times in total.

gm10
Level 19
Level 19

Post by gm10 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:16 am

Pjotr wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:43 am
Based on the following approach, which I've tested in a VM with Ubuntu 18.04.3:
I don't see how that can work without the compatibility pack. Also your 3. is redundant, it happens automatically after 1 and 2 in Ubuntu's version.

5 and 6 can be combined:

sudo apt-get install mintupdate mintdrivers timeshift update-notifier-
There is not need for 7.
Pjotr wrote:
Did you test them in Ubuntu 19.10 as well?
I am not aware of any 19.10-specific issues, the PPA has always tried to be compatible with the latest versions of everything.

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:42 am

gm10 wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:16 am
Pjotr wrote:
Based on the following approach, which I've tested in a VM with Ubuntu 18.04.3:
I don't see how that can work without the compatibility pack.
That gets pulled automatically when installing mintsystem.

Drugwash
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Drugwash » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:52 am

Hi, gm10. There's a tiny problem somewhere related to updater, software sources, network timeouts and whatever else.
A couple days ago I got a network-related error while attempting a manual check for updates:
Screenshot from 2019-10-23 10-46-21.png
However, next instead of testing download speed for main repository and choosing another mirror, as the logical choice, I wanted to enable the Romeo packages. So I flipped the (extremely ugly and space wasting) corresponding switch:
Screenshot from 2019-10-23 10-51-00.png
As you may notice in the second screenshot above by its light color, the switch is in an intermediate state. It remained like that for a minute or so until I decided to close the hung dialog, which led to killing the whole Updater process as it was unresponsive.

My suspicion is that there is a too long of a timeout before the network (or the dialog) acknowledges the failure to connect to the selected mirror. Of course, I may be wrong. Question is, can anything be done to shorten this timeout in order to avoid the complete utility getting hung? And/or can there be any additional visual feedback as to what happens when activating those switches (as in "downloading indexes, please wait" etc) in case the operation may take more than a few seconds (possibly on a very slow connection or whatever)?

trytip
Level 11
Level 11

Post by trytip » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:57 am

this is ridiculous again with this bad signature: no i don't think it's gm10's fault i get the same thing

Err:15 https://mirrors.evowise.com/linuxmint/packages tina Release.gpg
  The following signatures were invalid: BADSIG A6616109451BBBF2 Linux Mint Repository Signing Key <root@linuxmint.com>
Fetched 819 B in 2s (386 B/s)   
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
3 packages can be upgraded. Run 'apt list --upgradable' to see them.
W: An error occurred during the signature verification. 
The repository is not updated and the previous index files will be used. 
GPG error: https://mirrors.evowise.com/linuxmint/packages tina Release: 
The following signatures were invalid: BADSIG A6616109451BBBF2 
Linux Mint Repository Signing Key <root@linuxmint.com>
W: Failed to fetch https://mirrors.evowise.com/linuxmint/packages/dists/tina/Release.gpg  T
he following signatures were invalid: BADSIG A6616109451BBBF2 
Linux Mint Repository Signing Key <root@linuxmint.com>
W: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.
mint03@mint03:~$ 

Drugwash
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Drugwash » Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:16 am

trytip wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:57 am
i get the same thing
Ah yes, it's possible the root cause was the same for both of us. Nevertheless, I believe something should be done to inform the user in the GUI about any errors or delays, and avoid GUI hang-ups. Those of us that use GUIs (almost) exclusively would never have the chance to catch such errors as you presented above when the tools are not launched through the terminal.

gm10
Level 19
Level 19

Post by gm10 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:40 am

Pjotr wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:42 am
That gets pulled automatically when installing mintsystem.
Of course, nvm, I brain farted.
Drugwash wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:52 am
Hi, gm10. There's a tiny problem somewhere related to updater, software sources, network timeouts and whatever else.
evowise.com is a known terrible mirror, I don't understand why Clem keeps including it. Just forget it exists and you'll be fine.
Drugwash wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:52 am
However, next instead of testing download speed for main repository and choosing another mirror, as the logical choice, I wanted to enable the Romeo packages. So I flipped the (extremely ugly and space wasting) corresponding switch:
Screenshot from 2019-10-23 10-51-00.png

As you may notice in the second screenshot above by its light color, the switch is in an intermediate state. It remained like that for a minute or so until I decided to close the hung dialog, which led to killing the whole Updater process as it was unresponsive.
I'll look into it. It's possible I already have actually, I remember fixing something related to that, I've just been skipping a release cycle due to lack of time.

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr » Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:46 am

I repeated the installation of your tools in a clean Ubuntu 18.04 VM, and this time the panel icon of mintupdate didn't appear. Not even after a reboot....

Perhaps it should be auto-launched with a delay of, say, 20 seconds? That would ensure that Ubuntu is already "at rest" and fully functional. It's a trick I usually apply for custom startup applications.

gm10
Level 19
Level 19

Post by gm10 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:26 am

Pjotr wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:46 am
I repeated the installation of your tools in a clean Ubuntu 18.04 VM, and this time the panel icon of mintupdate didn't appear. Not even after a reboot....
Did you switch it to AppIndicator mode?

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr » Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:04 pm

gm10 wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:26 am
Pjotr wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:46 am
No. That was indeed the solution. :P

Drugwash
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Drugwash » Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:20 pm

gm10 wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:40 am
evowise.com is a known terrible mirror, I don't understand why Clem keeps including it. Just forget it exists and you'll be fine.
I certainly didn't know that and most likely many/most Mint users - especially new ones - wouldn't know that either. It actually worked fine for me until that incident; it gave best download speed in the test, that's why I chose it at the time. So let's try to somehow fix this for evowise and any other mirrors that may have such troubles in the future, rather than banning them forever. ;)
gm10 wrote:
I'll look into it. It's possible I already have actually [...]
That would be great. 8)
gm10 wrote:
How would users know about that? Why not test for the presence of both APIs (or whatever they are) and choose whatever is available, taking into account any possible user setting when both are available? ;) Even mark that somehow in the GUI as an automatic choice, in Edit > Preferences > General > Interface, next to the AppIndicator checkbox.

gm10
Level 19
Level 19

Post by gm10 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:18 pm

Drugwash wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:20 pm
gm10 wrote:
I certainly didn't know that and most likely many/most Mint users - especially new ones - wouldn't know that either. It actually worked fine for me until that incident; it gave best download speed in the test, that's why I chose it at the time. So let's try to somehow fix this for evowise and any other mirrors that may have such troubles in the future, rather than banning them forever. ;)
There's nothing for me to do about it, the mirror is just bad. You'll find plenty threads on here from users having trouble with that mirror.
Drugwash wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:20 pm
gm10 wrote:
How would users know about that? Why not test for the presence of both APIs (or whatever they are) and choose whatever is available, taking into account any possible user setting when both are available? ;) Even mark that somehow in the GUI as an automatic choice, in Edit > Preferences > General > Interface, next to the AppIndicator checkbox.
I do test for the AppIndicator API, the option is only available when that is installed, otherwise it's greyed out and you get a tooltip telling you what to install. The default StatusIcon API is deprecated and not all desktop environments support it, that's why I added the AppIndiciator support in the first place. I only keep it the default because Mint users are used to it.

Keep in my this PPA wasn't written for Ubuntu but for Mint, in fact I'm going out of my way to make it compatible with any Debian-based system. The defaults will remain what works on Mint though. And the options are there to change the defaults, I have little sympathy for users who don't look them over.

Drugwash
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Drugwash » Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:36 pm

gm10 wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:18 pm
There's nothing for me to do about it, the mirror is just bad.
May be so, but isn't there anything that can be done, such as lower the timeout value or something? User has no idea what exactly is going wrong, they only see the GUI hanging. Maybe spawn a message box, some statusbar notification - some feedback of any kind. Dunno, you're the programmer. :)
gm10 wrote:
I'm going out of my way to make it compatible with any Debian-based system.
That's appreciated. You know I'm on Mint but couldn't help reading your conversation with Pjotr and thought Ubuntu users might need some help with first-time installation. If everything were as it should you wouldn't have had to tell him to switch to AppIndicator - that should've been done by Updater automatically at first start.That's what I was referring to - any further customization is up to the user, but first start is critical IMHO. ;)

gm10
Level 19
Level 19

Post by gm10 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:12 pm

Drugwash wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:36 pm
gm10 wrote:
There's nothing for me to do about it, the mirror is just bad.
May be so, but isn't there anything that can be done, such as lower the timeout value or something? User has no idea what exactly is going wrong, they only see the GUI hanging. Maybe spawn a message box, some statusbar notification - some feedback of any kind. Dunno, you're the programmer. :)
Timeout where? You only mentioned a hang related to the romeo switch (the only one I could reproduce on my current dev version is one if you switch it quickly and repeatedly, seems a GTK bug) but nothing related to mirrors and timeouts. Did the mirror selection dialog hang?
Drugwash wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:36 pm
If everything were as it should you wouldn't have had to tell him to switch to AppIndicator - that should've been done by Updater automatically at first start.That's what I was referring to - any further customization is up to the user, but first start is critical IMHO. ;)
The updater cannot know what the desktop environment really supports. Ubuntu does have some support for the deprecated StatusIcon, it's just not working properly. I don't know the details, I haven't looked into it other than knowing that if you toggle to AppIndicator mode and then back to the default then the default will work at least for that session - or for the 5 minutes I tried it some weeks ago. StatusIcon is dead tech, I'm not motivated to try and make that work by default on desktops that have trouble with it, that's why I added the compatibility option long ago.

And again, this is primarily a Linux Mint 19.x PPA, it's not designed for other platforms and while I have been making some efforts to help Pjotr out with the Ubuntu side I'm not declaring it fully compatible with other platforms for now. It's just not my priority. Once I'm satisfied that I've modified and repackaged everything in a sufficiently neutral way to cleanly work on any platform I'll rebrand the whole thing and transition it to a new PPA.

Drugwash
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Drugwash » Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:44 pm

gm10 wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:12 pm
Timeout where? [...] Did the mirror selection dialog hang?
Nope. I didn't even try to switch mirrors. I got the error on a manual refresh, ignored it, went to the sources dialog and tried to enable Romeo. I can only assume that, upon enabling it, it tried to download something through that broken mirror and got hung. So I thought the connection [to a broken mirror] shouldn't take so long to acknowledge if it's working or not. I did not repeatedly switch it on and off - just once, to On.
What you may try to reproduce the issue: try to find a non-working mirror, switch to it, then try to enable Romeo (or other option that needs to connect to that mirror).
gm10 wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:12 pm
The updater cannot know what the desktop environment really supports.
Well, then test for Ubuntu vs Mint and enable AppIndicator by default if result is Ubuntu, else if Mint check user selection and set appropriately.

And that's all I have to say on the subject - when everything else is set properly we'll see how it all turns out. Movie time. Gute Nacht! :)

Return to “Community Projects”