gm10's Linux Mint Tools PPA

Get involved, create or participate in a project.
gm10
Level 19
Level 19

Re: gm10's Linux Mint Tools PPA

Post by gm10 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:39 pm

PSA: If you had trouble installing the PPA within the last 12 days, there was a dependency issue that prevented some packages from installing that has been fixed now. Feel free to try again in case you ran into the issue (it did not affect existing users of the PPA, which is why I did not notice right away). :idea:
Tune up your LM 19.x: ppa:gm10/linuxmint-tools

pizzadude
Level 2
Level 2

Post by pizzadude » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:18 pm

Here's a new bug for you :wink:

The new "mint-support-status" command you added doesn't work:

Code: Select all

mint-support-status
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/mint-support-status", line 216, in <module>
    if origin == "linuxmint":
NameError: name 'origin' is not defined
Visit my blog LinuxSurge if you like websites that haven't been updated in over 2 years

gm10
Level 19
Level 19

Post by gm10 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:46 pm

Eh, that's what I get for pushing that one already. I had thought about pulling it out of the release for I really only wanted to push that other fix for now but that script isn't relevant for anything so why not. Anyway, pushed a fix that should take care of it. It was working fine for me btw, so I hadn't noticed, but of course your glorious collection of package sources would manage to break it. :D

pizzadude
Level 2
Level 2

Post by pizzadude » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:55 pm

gm10 wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:46 pm
Eh, that's what I get for pushing that one already. I had thought about pulling it out of the release for I really only wanted to push that other fix for now but that script isn't relevant for anything so why not. Anyway, pushed a fix that should take care of it. It was working fine for me btw, so I hadn't noticed, but of course your glorious collection of package sources would manage to break it. :D
I am the PPA master.
Behold my PPAs.
Visit my blog LinuxSurge if you like websites that haven't been updated in over 2 years

gm10
Level 19
Level 19

Post by gm10 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:17 pm

Feature spotlight:

My mintsources now automatically tests mirrors for HTTPS support and configures them to use that instead of HTTP, where available.

This is accompanied by a new option to use the selected base mirror also for security updates - by default those always come from Ubuntu's server to protect you against a stale mirror, but neither Ubuntu's nor Mint's own repositories support HTTPS, whereas many mirrors do.

Just a small thing I had wanted to add for a very long time but never got around to doing.

On another note, the PPA's user base keeps growing quite steadily, but on the feedback-front it's eerily quiet, I'm just doing my own thing in my own little bubble. Which is cool, because it's basically what this PPA is all about, but I would still love to have some feedback on reasons you are using the PPA, the features that made you decide to ditch official Mint tools for my little side-project.

The only telemetry I got is from launchpad's download statistics, and according to that it seems mintupdate's automatic self-update feature is a big hit with most of you using it (based on how fast mintupdate updates get applied compared to updates to other packages), but otherwise I have no idea (no worries, I am not going to add telemetry of my own even though I would love to have it - I have (openly) done it in other projects and it is so very useful in guiding development...).

So on the off-chance that anyone is reading this, take a second and share your thoughts? Either way, have a nice week-end everybody. :)

Drugwash
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Drugwash » Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:36 pm

Heh, still got notifications from this thread although my previous comments were flushed somewhere else. So yeah, while I'm here there's my thoughts:
- since you added that changelog box to the Updater, it would be nice to move the image/avatar and the checkbox below to the left, and enlarge the changelog window to their right, auto-sized. Or the other way around, whatever. It's too small as it is now, kinda tedious to read.
- does mintmenu have anything to do with the Cinnamon (Start) menu? If not then just disregard this; if yes then please check it, because when switching from modern style (grouped windows in panel) to legacy style (taskbar buttons) in the Welcome dialog, the menu becomes completely empty and a fresh Linux user wouldn't know what to do from there (there's not even a separate shutdown/restart button for such situation).

Other than that I like to stay on the edge, as you already know. And you're doing a very good job at fixing things even ahead of time. ;)

gm10
Level 19
Level 19

Post by gm10 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:10 pm

Drugwash wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:36 pm
Heh, still got notifications from this thread although my previous comments were flushed somewhere else. So yeah, while I'm here there's my thoughts:
- since you added that changelog box to the Updater, it would be nice to move the image/avatar and the checkbox below to the left, and enlarge the changelog window to their right, auto-sized. Or the other way around, whatever. It's too small as it is now, kinda tedious to read.
Are you asking to make it wider or higher? I'm not quite sure from the request. I did originally have it auto-sizing across the full width but it didn't look good because the contents are only 80 chars wide.

Btw I broke the changelog display for when you're not using auto-update with today's update, so next week you won't see one if you're doing it manually. Python's indents got me again. :P
Drugwash wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:36 pm
- does mintmenu have anything to do with the Cinnamon (Start) menu? If not then just disregard this; if yes then please check it, because when switching from modern style (grouped windows in panel) to legacy style (taskbar buttons) in the Welcome dialog, the menu becomes completely empty and a fresh Linux user wouldn't know what to do from there (there's not even a separate shutdown/restart button for such situation).
No, that would be an issue with Cinnamon's menu. mintmenu is for MATE - it is only getting used with Cinnamon when that one is in fallback mode, and which point you're also using MATE's panel, so no grouped window list.

Drugwash
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Drugwash » Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:36 pm

gm10 wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:10 pm
Are you asking to make it wider or higher?
Higher, of course. I had noticed the fixed narrow width.
gm10 wrote:
Btw I broke the changelog display for when you're not using auto-update [...]
Shi(f)t happens. :) No biggie. Indeed I like to do things manually when it comes to updates. Guess I'm just gonna trust you for the next update, if changelog will be missing. :D
gm10 wrote:
mintmenu is for MATE - it is only getting used with Cinnamon when that one is in fallback mode, and which point you're also using MATE's panel, so no grouped window list.
OK, I get it. Actually just noticed someone else reported this issue in the blog post. And it's quite possible the moving of the panel to other screen side to be the trigger, not the modern - classic switch. I do switch to classic and also move the panel to the top (set to autohide) right after a clean install - remnants of old Win95 days with a 12" monitor. :)

I did have a few Cinnamon crashes in the past (and one now with 19.2 because the nVidia drivers for my GeForce 310M card won't compile with the 5.2.0 kernel that I wanted to upgrade to) and didn't even notice the difference in the panel and menu.

BenTrabetere
Level 5
Level 5

Post by BenTrabetere » Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:01 pm

So on the off-chance that anyone is reading this, take a second and share your thoughts?
I resisted adding your PPA because a PPA that makes changes to system functions makes me nervous, I really did not understand what it actually accomplished, and I wanted to give it a couple of months to see if it created problems for others before I added it to my new shiny.

It passed the "wait test" - I just added the PPA, everything updated without an Earth-shattering kaboom, and now I wait for something meaningful to report.

gm10
Level 19
Level 19

Post by gm10 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:34 pm

Drugwash wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:36 pm
gm10 wrote:
Are you asking to make it wider or higher?
Higher, of course. I had noticed the fixed narrow width.
Ok, that makes more sense, and I had been considering the same, but there are drawbacks to that as well, namely it looks just wrong depending on the window size:
mintupdate.png
That's why I went with the all-around fixed size. And with fixed sizes I cannot make it larger because then it wouldn't fit on small screens anymore. So I'd have to add code to scale things manually, which is just annoying (I hate GTK, it should be able to do that on its own...). We'll see. To be honest I'll probably leave it as is.
Drugwash wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:36 pm
gm10 wrote:
Btw I broke the changelog display for when you're not using auto-update [...]
Shi(f)t happens. :) No biggie. Indeed I like to do things manually when it comes to updates. Guess I'm just gonna trust you for the next update, if changelog will be missing. :D
Well, the changelog will still be accessible via the History of Updates window as always. No biggie indeed.

gm10
Level 19
Level 19

Post by gm10 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:38 pm

BenTrabetere wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:01 pm
So on the off-chance that anyone is reading this, take a second and share your thoughts?
I resisted adding your PPA because a PPA that makes changes to system functions makes me nervous, I really did not understand what it actually accomplished, and I wanted to give it a couple of months to see if it created problems for others before I added it to my new shiny.

It passed the "wait test" - I just added the PPA, everything updated without an Earth-shattering kaboom, and now I wait for something meaningful to report.
Oh, but I create new bugs on the regular, so that "wait test" is slightly weak. :lol:

And yes, I realize I'm not exactly marketing the PPA by not providing a description of the feature set. That's ok. :mrgreen:

Drugwash
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Drugwash » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:17 pm

gm10 wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:34 pm
it looks just wrong depending on the window size
If it were pinned to the left side of the window it would look like a sidebar or something. Aesthetics is good but functionality should come first. If the changelog can't be read comfortably then why show it there? ;) I wish I had a screenshot to do some mockups. Meh, we'll see.
gm10 wrote:
the changelog will still be accessible via the History of Updates window as always.
Oh, you shouldn't have said that. Now I went there to check it out and stumbled into a bug - not sure if it's my system at fault or whatever else.
Chose mintupdate from the history list, the window opened and as always I started resizing it by grabbing and dragging the bottom-right corner. Now, vertically it resizes correctly following the cursor position, but horizontally it lags a little when dragging to the right (to enlarge the window), and it lags massively when dragging to the left (to shrink the window). Wrong multiplier/divider value somewhere? You were saying about GTK...? :roll:

gm10
Level 19
Level 19

Post by gm10 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:41 pm

Drugwash wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:17 pm
gm10 wrote:
the changelog will still be accessible via the History of Updates window as always.
Oh, you shouldn't have said that. Now I went there to check it out and stumbled into a bug - not sure if it's my system at fault or whatever else.
Chose mintupdate from the history list, the window opened and as always I started resizing it by grabbing and dragging the bottom-right corner. Now, vertically it resizes correctly following the cursor position, but horizontally it lags a little when dragging to the right (to enlarge the window), and it lags massively when dragging to the left (to shrink the window). Wrong multiplier/divider value somewhere? You were saying about GTK...? :roll:
Yeah, I'm aware, it's due to automatic word-wrapping, which is provided through GTK and quite clearly not the most efficient algorithm. It mainly happens with Mint's packages that ignore the 80 character line length limit for changelogs. My changelogs do adhere to the limit but the old Mint-changelogs do still exist at the end of the file and I don't want to rewrite history by modifying them now. Ubuntu's packages should nearly all be good.

So this is a known issue that I will not fix. You should have no reason to resize that window a lot, anyway, I mainly left it resizable so you can fullscreen it, should you want to. But it doesn't save a custom size so no reason to get artistic with it. ;)

all41
Level 15
Level 15

Post by all41 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:50 pm

A wise mystic once said:

"Doing my thing is sort of my thing"

Heavy

Drugwash
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Drugwash » Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:50 am

gm10 wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:41 pm
So this is a known issue that I will not fix.
Ah, alright then, if it's known then it's known. :)
Still, to mask it there would be two possible workarounds:
1. Load/Save window size between sessions (easier but breaks when system fonts size changes).
2. Show a fixed window size (at least horizontally) that takes into account both the 80 chars per line limit and current text font size.

But don't mind me, I'm just an old failed perfectionist with too many ideas. :D
Enjoy the weekend! :wink:

gm10
Level 19
Level 19

Post by gm10 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:36 am

Drugwash wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:50 am
Still, to mask it there would be two possible workarounds:
1. Load/Save window size between sessions (easier but breaks when system fonts size changes).
2. Show a fixed window size (at least horizontally) that takes into account both the 80 chars per line limit and current text font size.
Oh, now I finally get it. You've got a really large font size and it doesn't fit? Now it all makes sense. I was fixed on you wanting a longer window previously and hadn't made the connection. Thanks for insisting.

Ok, fixed. Next version will do a variant of #2. I changed it to a monospace font, put 80 spaces into it, add a margin the width of the scrollbar, show the thing to get it to auto-size the width based on that, then replace the spaces with the actual changelog while keeping that window size. That way it should always display 80 characters no matter your theme and font size or dpi unless you replaced your system's monospace font with a non-monospace font, but I cannot protect users from everything...

I cannot set it to not be resizable afterwards for that results in a funny animation with the window width shrinking gradually. Didn't I say I loved GTK? So the issue this conversation started about will remain, but hopefully you won't have reason to run into it anymore.

I'll see if I can do something along those lines for the self-update changelog as well .

Drugwash
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Drugwash » Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:30 am

Uhm, actually no, I have a smaller font size overall. The machine being a notebook and me staying close to the screen, it's rather natural to have small font sizes, not to mention I had gotten used to the large 1680x1050 monitor on the XP machine and now I feel like there's some screen real estate missing, so I thought I should squeeze the most possible into this 1366x768 display. :)
But it's true that either smaller or larger font sizes would make a completely fixed window/control look wrong. That's why solution #2 looks more fit.
Hopefully you calculate the scrollbar width dynamically, because it can be modified at any time.
The self-update changelog window would mostly benefit from a height increase. A best-fit width would be a bonus.
Here's how it should ideally look when opened through History of Updates:
Screenshot from 2019-07-27 15-55-30.png
and here's an ugly mockup of how Auto-Updater could look:
updater mockup1.png
No idea about the Linux API but doesn't it have something that can measure the average/max string size in pixels given a font name and size? That (plus scrollbar size and any eventual borders) could be used to calculate window size dynamically in both History of Updates and Auto-Updater without the need to change to a monospaced font (which I always found ugly as hell in both Windows and Linux).

Oh, here's my Font Selection dialog, for completeness sake:
Screenshot from 2019-07-27 16-42-05.png

gm10
Level 19
Level 19

Post by gm10 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:44 am

Drugwash wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:30 am
Uhm, actually no, I have a smaller font size overall.
Then I very much do not understand what your problem with the current version is - are you trying to make it more narrow then? I mean, it's probably a good change either way (not the biggest fan of going monospace but w/e), but why?
Drugwash wrote:
Hopefully you calculate the scrollbar width dynamically, because it can be modified at any time.
Yep, it's already doing that in the version you currently have. GNOME defaults to overlay scrollbars, so GTK doesn't do this automatically and I have to do it manually every time. Just lovely. ;)
Drugwash wrote:
Here's how it should ideally look when opened through History of Updates:
Screenshot from 2019-07-27 15-55-30.png
That's how it already looks like for me with the released version. How does it look like for you???
Drugwash wrote:
and here's an ugly mockup of how Auto-Updater could look:
updater mockup1.png
Yeah, no, no way, not gonna happen. Emphasis on ugly. Also please remember that while you may be on high-resolution widescreen, I'm trying to stay compatible with small screens and resolutions.
Drugwash wrote:
No idea about the Linux API but doesn't it have something that can measure the average/max string size in pixels given a font name and size? That (plus scrollbar size and any eventual borders) could be used to calculate window size dynamically in both History of Updates and Auto-Updater without the need to change to a monospaced font (which I always found ugly as hell in both Windows and Linux).
If I wanted to write my own GUI library instead of using the existing one then yes, I could do that. Yes, monospaced is ugly, you brought that unto yourself, haha.

Drugwash
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Drugwash » Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:39 am

gm10 wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:44 am
are you trying to make it more narrow then?
Yes, I'm always going for best fit, don't waste screen space with large blanks or whatever.
gm10 wrote:
Yep, it's already doing that in the version you currently have. GNOME defaults to overlay scrollbars, so GTK doesn't do this automatically and I have to do it manually every time.
Ah, good. Overlay scrollbars are one of the most stupid inventions, in my opinion. I disabled that abomination, but not all windows obey. A scrollbar is a strong cue for the size of a text/list/etc and having it hidden is, again, plain stupid. Ah, don't get me started on this mobile design that effectively makes real computers look like toys. :evil:
gm10 wrote:
How does it look like for you???
Like this (compare widths):
Screenshot from 2019-07-27 16-59-18.png
gm10 wrote:
Emphasis on ugly. Also please remember that while you may be on high-resolution widescreen, I'm trying to stay compatible with small screens and resolutions.
I do agree on compatibility with small resolutions. But how small, actually? According to my image editor, the minimum active window size is roughly 524x408px, while minimum full updater window size would be 535x517px. The text window in first two screenshots above has a width of 410px when using an Ubuntu 8pt font, which leaves ~110px on the side for the avatar and the buttons below it.
Now, for a high-resolution screen and a wide dialog there should be no problem to place avatar and buttons centered in the remaining space or centered to the absolute window width. For small-resolution screens these could be shifted above or below the changelog window, much like it does now (but not centered vertically); the only improvement should be the dynamic height of the changelog window according to the height of the main Updater window.

What I'm trying to say is that, contrary to Microsoft's line of (non-)thinking/reasoning, the "power" of a full-blown desktop computer shouldn't be undermined by the possibility of the software being used in hardware-restricted environments such as tablets, mobile phones etc. Detect screen size(s) and decide on-the-fly whether to use one layout or another. Flexibility. ;)

Again, these are only ideas generated by my line of thinking, which is "do try to please everybody, don't listen to the incompetents that say it can't be done" (obviously I'm not referring to you - it's a generic remark). :)

P.S. What's stopping you from writing your own GUI library, seeing that existing ones are not good enough? ;)

gm10
Level 19
Level 19

Post by gm10 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:53 am

Drugwash wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:39 am
Ah, good. Overlay scrollbars are one of the most stupid inventions, in my opinion. I disabled that abomination, but not all windows obey. A scrollbar is a strong cue for the size of a text/list/etc and having it hidden is, again, plain stupid. Ah, don't get me started on this mobile design that effectively makes real computers look like toys. :evil:
Well, that's why you have that dotted line at the bottom showing, that's what GNOME added as an indicator to make up for the invisible scrollbar. I disable that line on my system.
Drugwash wrote:
Again, these are only ideas generated by my line of thinking, which is "do try to please everybody, don't listen to the incompetents that say it can't be done" (obviously I'm not referring to you - it's a generic remark). :)
Well, "everything" can be done somehow. When someone tells you that it cannot be done it means that either they do not know how to or they do know what it would involve to get it done and it's just not worth it to them. ;)

Anyway, next week's patch will bring this, both dynamically sized to width with hardcoded height:
mintupdate-self-update-changelog.png
history-changelog.png
This is with font sizes larger than yours. I do not consider the height a problem beyond this, so at this point I thank you for your suggestions that helped improve those two windows but otherwise declare the matter closed. ;)

The only thing that might still change is that the monospaced font annoys me too much over the coming week that I switch back to the regular font and estimate the proper width based on 80 * "W" or something like that (whatever the widest character is).
Drugwash wrote:
P.S. What's stopping you from writing your own GUI library, seeing that existing ones are not good enough? ;)
Efficiency and integration. It's not like we don't have better libraries, like Qt. But all of Mint's desktops are GTK-based desktops, the themes are GTK themes, etc. If I did my own thing then I'd break out of that eco-system. Doesn't make sense to do on Mint, and this is still a Mint-specific PPA (for now).

Return to “Community Projects”