gm10's Linux Mint Tools PPA

Get involved, create or participate in a project.
gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Re: gm10's Linux Mint Tools PPA

Post by gm10 »

This week's series of updates has been released. Unless I messed something up that was likely the last one for the year. Happy holidays. :mrgreen:
Tune up your LM 19+: ppa:gm10/linuxmint-tools

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr »

Thank you, and likewise Merry Christmas / Frohe Weihnachten / Zalig Kerstfeest.

I particularly like the German word "Weihnachten". In Dutch that would be "Gewijde nachten". Holy nights: a wonderful name.... I'm not religious, but it's one of the most beautiful things that Christianity has given us.

Stille nacht, heilige nacht in Dutch:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jnJN-1QlaQ
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 »

With subtitles, useful. And it's my favourite Christmas song, too. Zalig Kerstfeest! :)

Drugwash
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Drugwash »

Not so fast, mein Freund. There is some glitch in software-sources.

I opened Update Manager and from its menu selected Software Sources. Went to PPAs, selected rvm/smplayer and cliked on Open... thinking it would open the link in the default browser. Surprise! it opened it in a new dialog instead, while the controls in Software Sources window got disabled.

But that's not the main problem. Thing is, there was only smplayer selected in the dialog, so I selected the other three (skins, themes and smtube), clicked Install, and everything seemed to work nicely, only that once the installation dialog vanished the Software Sources window never got reenabled - cursor is stuck on rotating/busy even now after five minutes of waiting.

So I closed the Software Sources window (click on the [x]) and repeated all operations, except that now all four items in rvm/smplayer dialog were marked (and saying already installed) and disabled, so they could not be uninstalled through that dialog.

Main issue is the rotating cursor and disabled controls misleading people that an operation is still ongoing, but I also can't understand why would you allow installing but not uninstalling items through that dialog. Its illogical from my point of view.
Also, the Open... label on the button is misleading, at least on first use.

EDIT:
There is also something wrong regarding replacement of variables. Opening a different PPA Contents dialog I see (version %s already installed):
and another one - strange hex character not replaced:

gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 »

Drugwash wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:15 am
I opened Update Manager and from its menu selected Software Sources. Went to PPAs, selected rvm/smplayer and cliked on Open... thinking it would open the link in the default browser. Surprise! it opened it in a new dialog instead, while the controls in Software Sources window got disabled.
Working as intended and how it has always worked. I'd like to add a browser link as well but for that the whole business about starting the tool with root privileges must be changed first (also on my list but very low priority) - I'm not going to start a browser with root privileges, and starting the tool through pkexec prevents me from starting the browser in another user context.

I'll have a look at the rest, thanks for reporting those - it's not functionality I use so I didn't know there was a problem.

Drugwash
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Drugwash »

gm10 wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:50 am
Working as intended and how it has always worked.
Obviously I never used that feature before so didn't know how it used to work. It's funny that in most applications I always expected an application-owned dialog and got a browser fired up instead, and now it happened the other way around. Maybe because it's a dialog about PPAs and there are links directly visible there, so it's kinda expected to get the link opened in the browser.
No idea about the behind-the-curtain operations required to open the browser in Linux, but in Windows I always ran as administrator (with no AV or firewall) and never had any problems. I do not live in fear. ;) (but most others do, unfortunately)
What if the browser is already open? I suppose most people use tabs, never opening multiple instances of the browser. (it may depend on browser's own settings too)
Maybe the button label should be changed to Details or something that does not hint to actually opening the link. Then, if the browser opening issue gets a satisfactory solution, a new button could be added, like Open URL or something.

For the other issues, I never used that functionality either but just went through those options now out of curiosity and stumbled into the issues. It's only normal to report them for the benefit of everyone. ;)

Frӧhliche Weihnachten! 8)

gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 »

I know how to open a browser including opening a new tab in an existing browser, that's not the issue. In fact I've had the code already done for a while and waiting in a little branch of its own. The issue is purely user context. There is no solution until I move the root functionality into a separate process. Which would be nice to do but is by no means a priority because it does not impact the current operation of the app.

As to the rest of your issues (and the ones I discovered while looking into it), I'll let my combined changelog/task list for the next release speak for itself:

Code: Select all

software-sources (1:2.2.4~gm10) bionic; urgency=medium

* Repositories and PPAs:
    * TODO: Add right-click menu for copying the repository/PPA definition in
      addition to the existing Ctrl+c keybind
    * Fix Ctrl+c keybind not working with lock keys activated
  * PPA browser:
    * TODO: Consider adding uninstall functionality
    * Fix installing packages resulting in the GUI remaining locked perpetually
    * Fix "version %s already installed" text not including the actual version
  * Authentication keys:
    * TODO: Add Ctrl+c keybind for copying the fingerprint in addition to the
      existing right-click menu
    * Fix certain characters in key names preventing adding
      the key and leading to display issues if it was added in other ways
Drugwash wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:26 am
Frӧhliche Weihnachten! 8)
Crăciun fericit! 8)

Drugwash
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Drugwash »

Danke schӧn! :)

farkas
Level 4
Level 4

Post by farkas »

Installed Linux Mint Tools PPA a couple days ago.
Is there a page explaining what each tool does and how it works? Other than package details. Google wasn't very helpful.
I think it would help that if in the, Installation on Linux Mint:, section it would say that it has to be installed using Software Sources. I'm still in the learning stage about linux. I have used Linux Mint since windows quit support for XP. Just started exploring it since I retired.

I think I found a bug. I can get to Software Sources from Update Manager and Mint Menu, but if I try from System Setting after entering the password nothing happens.

Thanks for your responses to my posts and ongoing effort to improve Mint!
Regards
farkas
If your query has been resolved, edit your first post and add [SOLVED] to the subject line.
If you found a solution on your own please post it.
A generation which ignores history has no past and no future.

DAMIEN1307
Level 9
Level 9

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

Hi farkas, I think you may be a little confused when you mention LM installation instructions in the same breath as mentioning LM tools ppa.

LM tools ppa is written and developed by gm10 personally and is NOT part of the official LM developement teams offerings.

You will need to understand that it is gm10s software and you won't find much in Google or in LM installation instructions for it.

He knows what he is doing and many people here will attest to that.

Make sure to gear all questions for his ppa to him...DAMIEN

This will give you a better idea of what a ppa is, as it is not a part of official offerings from a Linux OS distribution.

https://itsfoss.com/ppa-guide/
ORDO AB CHAO

gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 »

farkas wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:04 pm
Is there a page explaining what each tool does and how it works?
I have a manual page for everything (man command in a terminal), but it mainly explains the command-line interface of each tool, not so much the GUI operation. The GUI has some explanatory labels here and there but beyond that there is nothing. If you find something particularly difficult to understand, please do not hesitate to let me know and maybe I can make it clearer. And we can certainly explain it.
farkas wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:04 pm
I think I found a bug. I can get to Software Sources from Update Manager and Mint Menu, but if I try from System Setting after entering the password nothing happens.
Ah, I think I know what is happening there, I had something similar with Driver Manager. I'll fix it. Can you let me know what desktop environment we are talking about though so I can confirm?

farkas
Level 4
Level 4

Post by farkas »

Thanks DAMIEN1307
Sorry about the confusion. What I was referring to was the page https://launchpad.net/~gm10/+archive/ub ... mint-tools.
There is a paragraph about ADDING Linux Mint Tools PPA.
Installation on Linux Mint:
===========================
After adding the PPA refresh your Update Manager. On a clean installed
LM 19.2/19.3 you will see updates to a few packages from my PPA. After you
installed the update to mint-common then an update for Update Manager
itself will become available. On other editions and installs that
upgraded to 19.2 you will get the Update Manager update right away.

You will have to start Update Manager again because it will exit. After
Update Manager has been updated, more updates from the PPA become
available.
Or it maybe that I'm confused, but that is how I managed to add it. The above doesn't mention that it needs to be added using Software Sources
I should have used Add instead of Install.
Make sure to gear all questions for his ppa to him...DAMIEN
I thought I was doing that by posting in this forum? If I erred, please point me in the right direction.
farkas
If your query has been resolved, edit your first post and add [SOLVED] to the subject line.

DAMIEN1307
Level 9
Level 9

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

no, your ok, you did it right by coming to this topic.
ORDO AB CHAO

farkas
Level 4
Level 4

Post by farkas »

Thanks gm10,
Using

System:    Host: steve-lap Kernel: 5.3.0-24-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 7.4.0 
           Desktop: Cinnamon 4.2.4 wm: muffin dm: LightDM Distro: Linux Mint 19.2 Tina 
           base: Ubuntu 18.04 bionic 
Machine:   Type: Laptop System: Dell product: Inspiron 5567 v: N/A serial: <filter> Chassis: 
           type: 10 serial: <filter> 

gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 »

farkas wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:43 pm
Sorry about the confusion. What I was referring to was the page https://launchpad.net/~gm10/+archive/ub ... mint-tools.
There is a paragraph about ADDING Linux Mint Tools PPA.
[...]
The above doesn't mention that it needs to be added using Software Sources
I should have used Add instead of Install.
There is a section below the description titled "Adding this PPA to your system", giving you a command line to add it. I'll add an explicit reference to that in the description.
farkas wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:49 pm
Thanks gm10,
Using

Desktop: Cinnamon 4.2.4 wm: muffin dm: LightDM Distro: Linux Mint 19.2 Tina 
Cheers. I've already committed the fix, I'll find myself a Cinnamon to confirm that what I fixed was the only problem here (missing polkit policy for the mintsources binary - I forgot about that since I transitioned the whole thing to a software-sources package and binary), but am very certain that that will be it. Since it is no critical issue./, I'll push the fix next week or even after that (given the season). I generally try not to do more than one release per week, don't want to become too spammy with the updates. ;)

farkas
Level 4
Level 4

Post by farkas »

Thanks, It should clarify things.
Happy Holidays!! :D

farkas
Level 4
Level 4

Post by farkas »

Don't mean to bother you but,
I tried
I have a manual page for everything (man command in a terminal),
Entered

man command
in terminal.
The result

steve@steve-lap:~$ man command
^[[3~No manual entry for command
steve@steve-lap:~$ 
Am I missing something?
Thanks
farkas

gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 »

farkas wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:10 am
Don't mean to bother you but,
I tried
I have a manual page for everything (man command in a terminal),
Entered

man command
in terminal.
My bad, I should have been more specific. "command" was meant as a placeholder for an actual command. For example
man software-sources, man mintupdate, man mintupdate-cli, things like that.

farkas
Level 4
Level 4

Post by farkas »

I should have been more specific. "command" was meant as a placeholder for an actual command. For example
man software-sources, man mintupdate, man mintupdate-cli, things like that.
Got it!
Thanks, now I got some research to get started on.

gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 »

Just to preempt the inevitable (already seen one post in the upgrade announcement thread, from a PPA user no less): Before you don't get this:

you won't get this:

Patience, young Padawan. :)

Return to “Community Projects”