gm10's Linux Mint Tools PPA

Get involved, create or participate in a project.
trytip
Level 12
Level 12

Re: gm10's Linux Mint Tools PPA

Post by trytip »

gm10 wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:25 pm
Patience, young Padawan. :)
Patience? waddayamean?
anyone know if Beta Mint 20.3 ready for download>? :D

Drugwash
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Drugwash »

Please add a "Don't tell me again" checkbox to that banner (or anywhere in Preferences), because I'm not gonna upgrade and I don't want it wasting screen space (and my patience) on each and every refresh or update. Or make the click on OK as a permanent action.
Either way, once acknowledged there's no use in pestering the user with the same announcement over and over again.

gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 »

Drugwash wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:21 am
Please add a "Don't tell me again" checkbox to that banner (or anywhere in Preferences), because I'm not gonna upgrade and I don't want it wasting screen space (and my patience) on each and every refresh or update. Or make the click on OK as a permanent action.
Either way, once acknowledged there's no use in pestering the user with the same announcement over and over again.
Have you actually tried clicking that button and are reporting a bug about it not being permanent? Or are you just assuming that I don't know what I'm doing? ;)
Tune up your LM 19+: ppa:gm10/linuxmint-tools

Drugwash
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Drugwash »

Yes, I have clicked it not only once but numerous times. The banner dissapears after clicking it, but then clicking Refresh in the toolbar brings it back after refresh operation is finished.
Do you really think I would've reported/asked that blindly? :roll:
Please watch this screencast: link

gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 »

Drugwash wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:56 am
Do you really think I would've reported/asked that blindly? :roll:
I had a little hope left that it wasn't I who doesn't know what he's doing. :lol:

The banner will disappear permanently if you restart mintupdate. I'll fix it coming back on refresh, that was, of course, not intentional.

Drugwash
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Drugwash »

gm10 wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:19 am
I had a little hope left that it wasn't I who doesn't know what he's doing. :lol:
Well, that hope is gone now. :P :lol:
gm10 wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:19 am
The banner will disappear permanently if you restart mintupdate. I'll fix it coming back on refresh, that was, of course, not intentional.
Of course - it was just (my) bad luck. As always. :D
Please note the banner also reappears after each automatic refresh, not only after manual ones.

About restarting things and reboots... I usually never shutdown or reboot my machine(s) unless something very bad happens. You may not believe me but even the Win98SE machine used to run for weeks until I did something stupid or installed something that required a reboot. Not to mention the XP machine that was acting as DHCP server and had to run 24/7 if I wanted LAN connectivity. And applications used to run for as long as they were needed.
Now, seeing Linux having to reboot after any apparently minor changes makes me thing there's something really wrong, as in too much interference from M$.
Anyway, rant apart this is not such a big deal - just a bit annoying. However, thanks to this I could test for the first time the screencast option in the applet I used and I may wanna modify it to (optionally) include the titlebar and borders, just in case they're needed in the future. Plus fixing the save path for videos. :wink:

gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 »

Drugwash wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:44 am
Anyway, rant apart this is not such a big deal - just a bit annoying.
So what would be less annoying, pushing a new mintupdate version to fix this or to leave it as is for now until I've got enough content for a real patch? I'm never sure. ;)

Drugwash
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Drugwash »

Well, it all depends on how many updates will show up these days, hence how annoyed the users will be. There are a lot of things to consider: those who upgraded to 19.3, those who will upgrade, those who have external PPAs, Romeo and other kinds of packages enabled (besides yours)... Whoever already upgraded obviously wouldn't be bothered but the rest will.
I, for one, have already disabled Romeo and Ubuntu-proposed so there may not be many updates if at all in the upcoming days. But I'm never annoyed by (real) bugfixes no matter how often they would show up. Remember I always check the changelog to see if an update is worth installing - reason why I asked for that default feature. ;)
In the end, the choice is yours. Just think of all the potential users and the (positive or negative) impact of your choice. :)
EDIT:
OK, the update just came in so the above is moot. Danke sehr! :)
Last edited by Drugwash on Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 »

Drugwash wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:55 am
Remember I always check the changelog to see if an update is worth installing
Well, I'm not giving users the choice regarding updates to Update Manager itself, that's why I prefer to keep the frequency down (althogh I removed the password requirement for them and with the option to apply self-updates automatically you can keep the hassle to a minimum - although I do, of course, prefer you to actually read and understand the changelogs, that's why I write them).

Anyway, moot point, for I had already pushed the update a few hours ago. I figured that people might still be getting Mint's mint-release-upgrade update, anyway (and that requires a self-update), so might as well sneak mine in there. Plus I had some new Ukrainian translations contributed - those are work in progress but getting a quick turnaround on contributed translations can be a motivating factor. :)

Drugwash
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Drugwash »

gm10 wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:03 am
Well, I'm not giving users the choice regarding updates to Update Manager itself
Yeah, that may be a delicate topic too. Since there have been (and may be in the future) certain bugs in Updater, some people may want to stay behind a release or two until they're sure everything is alright. As such, maybe the forced update for the Updater should be reconsidered. But that's just a side idea.

I received the update (as mentioned in the edit above), everything seems alright now. :wink:

gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 »

Drugwash wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:15 am
As such, maybe the forced update for the Updater should be reconsidered. But that's just a side idea.
It could be argued, but I'll stick with how it is. I'll just have to be more careful about not breaking things. Pjotr has that PPA of his that freezes my release for a while to provide more stability, maybe give that a try. But frankly the update frequency has become a bit lower already and will continue slowing down as I run out of things to polish. I'm pretty much feature complete now as far as things I want to see in the app go. I'm sure something small here and there may still come up, maybe via user suggestions, but overall I'm good with how it works.
Drugwash wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:15 am
I received the update (as mentioned in the edit above), everything seems alright now. :wink:
You wouldn't know, since the update restarts Update Manager, and restarting already fixed it before the patch. :mrgreen:

Drugwash
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Drugwash »

gm10 wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:23 pm
I'll just have to be more careful about not breaking things.
That would do. ;)
gm10 wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:23 pm
You wouldn't know, since the update restarts Update Manager, and restarting already fixed it before the patch.
Clever trick! :P :lol:

dorsetUK
Level 3
Level 3

Post by dorsetUK »

Updates here, updates there, updates everywhere, and what's really annoying is that all worked perfectly.

Cheers gm10. 19.2 to 3. 3 Beta to, um, 3. Your Update manager coped wonderfully.

Have a drink on me.

Jon

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr »

Updated my semi-frozen PPA to the latest and greatest today.

I really need to restrain my update impulses a bit; it's unworthy of a semi-frozen repo to be updated that soon again. :mrgreen:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 »

Pjotr wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:01 am
Updated my semi-frozen PPA to the latest and greatest today.

I really need to restrain my update impulses a bit; it's unworthy of a semi-frozen repo to be updated that soon again. :mrgreen:
I was gonna say, what happened to the projected 6 months schedule? :lol: Plus I'll have some fixes coming in later today probably if I find the time, so you'll be tempted again. ;)

PS: Update is out, affected packages are software-sources and mintmenu and for the non-bionic builds also mintupdate.

Happy Holidays everybody! :christmas_tree:

gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 »

Some roadmap info for those interested:

You may have noticed I recently dropped libxapp use from mintupdate and with today's update dropped it from software-sources as well. Remaining packages of mine that still use it are mintmenu for the preferences, and mint-common for no part that any of my packages actually use. In future updates I'm planning to drop mint-common usage entirely and split my additions and changes to it off into a yet-to-be-created package of my own, and for mintmenu's preferences we'll see (I might just go back to the old layout pre-libxapp usage).

The reason is that the core of the PPA has outgrown Mint by a lot and I want to rid myself of all development dependencies on it, not in the least because I have not been running Mint myself for a while now except for what I need to keep maintaining the PPA for Mint. And that part about the PPA won't change, I intend to keep it compatible with Mint no matter what. But I want to slim the PPA down to the essential and rid myself of Mint-specific dependencies like libxapp and mint-common and thus free myself from having to monitor those for patches I may have to backport.

There's the slight complication of how to migrate everybody back down Mint's versions of those packages after I drop them and packages depending on them, I have yet to decide how I'll do that and if I'll do that for LM 19.x yet or only for LM 20.x.

But none of the above should be relevant for you as a user, if I'm doing it right you won't notice any difference, it's just a little explanation for those who have been following the changelogs.

On this last day of 2019, I wish you all a happy new year. :)

Drugwash
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Drugwash »

I think I understood: become independent in order to become universal. Sort of. :wink:
There are two interesting bits above:
gm10 wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:27 pm
I have not been running Mint myself for a while now
May I ask what exactly have you been running? Just out of curiosity.
and
gm10 wrote:
if I'm doing it right you won't notice any difference
Does that ever work? :roll: Doing it right at the very first attempt, I mean. :) Well, good luck with that! 8)

Other than that, thank you for all your work so far and may you have a fruitful and fulfilling 2020. Happy New Year! :)

Kadaitcha Man
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Kadaitcha Man »

Drugwash wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:43 am
I think I understood: become independent in order to become universal. Sort of. :wink:
gm10 wrote:
Windows 98.
It's kad-eye-cha, not kada-itcha.

Drugwash
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Drugwash »

Kadaitcha Man wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:53 am
Windows 98.
Are you speaking for yourself or are you gm10's secretary? :roll:

Anyway, if I hadn't been myself a Win98SE user up until two years ago I might have believed you, but since I know way too well the issues that line of OSes faces nowadays, mainly in regard to web browsing, and generally with new software and incompatible standards - regardless of USP3 and KernelEx efforts - I think I can safely call BS on that allegation. 8)

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr »

Kadaitcha Man wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:53 am
Drugwash wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:43 am
gm10 wrote:
Windows 98.
Wrong! It's MS-DOS 6.22, because of its elegant autoexec.bat. I know, because I'm practically gm10's neighbour. :mrgreen:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

Return to “Community Projects”