Linux Mint 20 “Ulyana” 64bit support for Raspberry Pi 4

About programming and getting involved with Linux Mint development
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
roddev

Linux Mint 20 “Ulyana” 64bit support for Raspberry Pi 4

Post by roddev »

Hi Teams,

I was wondering if there would be an image on the upcoming version of Linux Mint 20 on Raspberry Pi 4. I would like to do some testing prior official release as I'm already running Ubuntu Server 20.04 LTS on my raspberry pi 4 4gb and it runs amazingly fast and cooler - doing 36 degrees Celsius with a 5v mini fan attached.
So I assume running Linux Mint would much better, stabled. :wink:

Cheers,
RodDev
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
roddev

Re: Linux Mint 20 “Ulyana” 64bit support for Raspberry Pi 4

Post by roddev »

BTW - Ubuntu 20.04 LTS is Now Certified for the Raspberry Pi

https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2020/05/ubu ... spberry-pi

:D
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

roddev wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 7:52 pm I was wondering if there would be an image on the upcoming version of Linux Mint 20 on Raspberry Pi 4.
It's highly implausible. I seriously doubt that Raspberry Pi support would be in keeping with the stated direction of Linux Mint.
roddev

Post by roddev »

I wouldn't be surprise if Linux Mint Team decides on taking a shot to IOT on upcoming versions. It's much lighter and faster then Ubuntu/Debian and it would make totally sense to have beginners, kids on trying with Linux to play around with..other then windows PC.

It just matter of time it will be heading that way though. For the meantime You can install Ubuntu with cinnamon remix https://ubuntucinnamon.org/
I just haven't tried it on my Raspberry Pi as yet. Let you guys know.

Adding another note *

Linux Mint Debian Edition (LMDE) 4 already released = Raspbian is a Debian-based computer operating system for Raspberry Pi.
Ubuntu 20.04 Lts already officially released for Raspberry Pi = Linux Mint 20 is based on Ubuntu 20.04

So it makes totally sense it's all supported :D
M_aD
Level 4
Level 4

Post by M_aD »

roddev wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 9:10 pm

Linux Mint Debian Edition (LMDE) 4 already released = Raspbian is a Debian-based computer operating system for Raspberry Pi.
Ubuntu 20.04 Lts already officially released for Raspberry Pi = Linux Mint 20 is based on Ubuntu 20.04

So it makes totally sense it's all supported :D
LMDE4 = Debian
Raspbian = Debian but tailored specifically for the raspberry pi and has a modified kernel if i remember correct. Raspbian is still 32 bit but work on 64 bit is ongoing.

So LMDE won't even run on a pi.

Ubuntu 20.04 LTS has a server version that is a special build to run on ARM architecture also with a modified kernel to run on the pi. Plain Mint 20 won't run on the pi, the team would have to develop another spin which they probably won't do due lack of dev's, time and because the focus is on the main edition and the flagship desktop Cinnamon.
kevin34ct
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kevin34ct »

Just install Ubuntu 20.04 Server then you'll have to install Cinnamon for the terminal. It works, I did it to my R Pi 4, 4GB It's not a true Linux Mint, but it has the same look.
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

The new Pi models are 64 bit but the older ones are 32 bit. Raspbian stays 32 bit for a while to provide compatibility. An LM for a Pi would have to provide compatibility with those older devices.

Within the ARM architecture, there are about 20 variations. There are two or three used across the Pi generations. Which of the 20 would you support? For most applications, there is not much difference but down at the OS level, there are differences.

Based on using several models of Pi, Only the Pi4 has the power to usefully run something other than the customised Raspbian GUI. Plus, if you are only running a server type application, the OS GUI is not important. If you are recompiling something for ARM, an application like Nemo might be more useful.
BwingBob
Level 3
Level 3

Post by BwingBob »

kevin34ct wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:26 pm Just install Ubuntu 20.04 Server then you'll have to install Cinnamon for the terminal. It works, I did it to my R Pi 4, 4GB It's not a true Linux Mint, but it has the same look.
I second this recommendation. I installed Ubuntu 20.04 Server, then installed the MATE desktop, works perfectly. I install Ubuntu because I needed gnuradio 3.8, and 3.7 is the latest version available on Raspbian.

Bob
Pop_OS! 22.04 {Dell Inspiron 15 5510}
Linux Mint Cinnamon 21 {Minisforum UM700}
Pop_OS! Thelio Mira ;-)
We have met the enemy and he is us. - Pogo
legacypowers
Level 4
Level 4

Post by legacypowers »

BwingBob wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:50 pm I second this recommendation. I installed Ubuntu 20.04 Server, then installed the MATE desktop, works perfectly. I install Ubuntu because I needed gnuradio 3.8, and 3.7 is the latest version available on Raspbian.

Bob
Understandable, but i would totally build from source, seems like a way smaller chore to me.
Terminal - zsh wrote: ╭─legacy@forums.linuxmint.com
╰─➜ _
BwingBob
Level 3
Level 3

Post by BwingBob »

legacypowers wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:29 am
BwingBob wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:50 pm I second this recommendation. I installed Ubuntu 20.04 Server, then installed the MATE desktop, works perfectly. I install Ubuntu because I needed gnuradio 3.8, and 3.7 is the latest version available on Raspbian.

Bob
Understandable, but i would totally build from source, seems like a way smaller chore to me.
Sorry for the late reply, I have been at sea. https://share.garmin.com/solitaire. I am not sure that building from source would be a smaller chore, gnuradio has a ton of dependencies. I may try it just to see when I get home.

Bob
Pop_OS! Thelio Mira ;-)
legacypowers
Level 4
Level 4

Post by legacypowers »

BwingBob wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 9:27 pm
legacypowers wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:29 am

Bob
Sorry for the late reply, I have been at sea. https://share.garmin.com/solitaire. I am not sure that building from source would be a smaller chore, gnuradio has a ton of dependencies. I may try it just to see when I get home.

Bob
the whole guide on how to do it on a Raspberry Pi: https://wiki.gnuradio.org/index.php/Ins ... spberry_Pi
Terminal - zsh wrote: ╭─legacy@forums.linuxmint.com
╰─➜ _
BwingBob
Level 3
Level 3

Post by BwingBob »

the whole guide on how to do it on a Raspberry Pi: https://wiki.gnuradio.org/index.php/Ins ... spberry_Pi
Good info, thanks. Might be a moot point for me now since Raspberry PI OS (Bullseye) has gnuradio 3.8.

Bob
Pop_OS! Thelio Mira ;-)

Return to “Programming & Development”