Just an idea: LMRE

About programming and getting involved with Linux Mint development
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Giga_mint

Just an idea: LMRE

Post by Giga_mint »

Hello there,

I noticed Linux Mint have a github repo.

One question, could I build the necessary packages on a Raspberry Pi 4, to create LMRE: Linux Mint Raspbian Edition.

What do you think? Is this a fairly feasible idea? Or have I got the wrong end of the stick?

Thanks

Giga
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Just an idea: LMRE

Post by xenopeek »

You could try building the software. I don't know if all are feasible for compiling or running on ARM.

You can't name it Linux Mint though, not without permission from Clem. (He holds the trademark and copyright for the Linux Mint name and branding.) There's also an expectation of quality associated with the Linux Mint name, thanks to the work of our QA and testing teams, and you naming something Linux Mint without their involvement would muddy that. If you can get it running you could reach out to Clem and ask if a community edition would be possible, where the Linux Mint QA and testing teams would be involved and it can use the Linux Mint name. There have been several community editions in the past. Otherwise you have to name it something else.
Giga_mint

Post by Giga_mint »

xenopeek wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 2:14 am You could try building the software. I don't know if all are feasible for compiling or running on ARM.

You can't name it Linux Mint though, not without permission from Clem. (He holds the trademark and copyright for the Linux Mint name and branding.) There's also an expectation of quality associated with the Linux Mint name, thanks to the work of our QA and testing teams, and you naming something Linux Mint without their involvement would muddy that. If you can get it running you could reach out to Clem and ask if a community edition would be possible, where the Linux Mint QA and testing teams would be involved and it can use the Linux Mint name. There have been several community editions in the past. Otherwise you have to name it something else.
Ok. Sorry about that.

Raspbian Spearmint. Is that any better?

Usb boot is out now, I might setup a devloping enviroment on my SSD I have lying around.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Not for me to say. Please reach out to Clem if you have any doubts about acceptable use. And as mentioned, maybe a community edition is discussable.

Raspbian is now Raspberry Pi OS, according to https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian/, and the Raspberry Pi foundation has similar limits on using their name and branding: https://www.raspberrypi.org/trademark-rules/. IDK if the same applies to the "Raspbian" wordmark.

Anyway, if you can get it running I would reach out to Clem. You can name it something else easily. The hard part is getting everything compiled and packaged so it can run and creating an ISO so it can be installed. Naming it is secondary I would say.
Giga_mint

Post by Giga_mint »

xenopeek wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 4:01 am Not for me to say. Please reach out to Clem if you have any doubts about acceptable use. And as mentioned, maybe a community edition is discussable.

Raspbian is now Raspberry Pi OS, according to https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian/, and the Raspberry Pi foundation has similar limits on using their name and branding: https://www.raspberrypi.org/trademark-rules/. IDK if the same applies to the "Raspbian" wordmark.

Anyway, if you can get it running I would reach out to Clem. You can name it something else easily. The hard part is getting everything compiled and packaged so it can run and creating an ISO so it can be installed. Naming it is secondary I would say.
Ok. To work.
zshlover
Level 1
Level 1

Post by zshlover »

Giga_mint wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 4:44 pm What do you think? Is this a fairly feasible idea? Or have I got the wrong end of the stick?
Ubuntu server runs on Raspberry Pi 2,3 and 4. As Linux and the software can work on the ARM project, I think some version of Mint is possible on the Raspberry Pi
Learn Python: pythonspot.com, pyqt

Return to “Programming & Development”