I would like to contribute some code, but i'm a n00b when it comes to open source projects

About programming and getting involved with Linux Mint development
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
theironknuckle

I would like to contribute some code, but i'm a n00b when it comes to open source projects

Post by theironknuckle »

Hi there,

I have almost 20 years coding experience in a wide variety of languages, but i'm less familiar with the infrastructure involved in big software projects. I'd like to fix bugs as I find them and contribute to the linux mint code-base, but I feel a tad overwhelmed and am not sure how to get started.

The main thing I want to test the waters with is adding a "cycle workspaces" hotkey. I would assume this is small and not too difficult, and a good way to get familiar with the cinnamon code-base. Unfortunately I'm just not sure how to get set up.

1. how do I download the relevant codebase?
2. Is there a way to "sandbox" and "test" in such a way that altering the code doesn't break my system?
3. Once I have successfully implemented the hotkey, how do I submit the code for integration into the public release? (or to put it more broadly, what is involved in the process between some random schmuck like me writing some code and that code making it into a public release?)

edit:

I ask because I figure, rather than whining when things break and complaining about Linux lacking basic features which are present on windows and mac, I could just serve the community with my software-dev and coding knowledge by contributing such features to the project directly. I have skills and I'm keen to contribute! I'm just feeling a bit lost about how to do it because I've never participated in an open-source project before

edit 2: Personal note: Most of my life I have worked in the software industry on projects for which I have absolutely no passion. But contributing to an operating system is something I consider to be meaningful and worthwhile. I actually feel excited at the prospect of firing up vim and gcc and exercising the software side of my brain in a charitable way (ie, coding something worthwhile which helps people, without being paid for it)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mick-Cork
Level 4
Level 4

Re: I would like to contribute some code, but i'm a n00b when it comes to open source projects

Post by Mick-Cork »

Hello TIK,

Great attitude and hopefully someone with the appropriate knowledge will be able to steer you in the right direction re contributing.

In meantime, regarding cycling workspaces in particular, I use LM Cinnamon here and can cycle through the workspaces using Ctr+Alt and the relevant arrow key. You can configure the hotkeys in Menu/Keyboard (Shortcuts tab) / Workspaces.

Hopefully I haven't distracted you from your broader thoughts, but if the above is what you're referring to then hopefully helpful.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Re: I would like to contribute some code, but i'm a n00b when it comes to open source projects

Post by smurphos »

With regards to the workspace cycling shortcut, the feature already exists with the existing next and previous workspace shortcuts. To enable it..

Menu > Preferences > Workspaces > Check Allow Cycling through Workspaces.

For an introduction to contributing to Mint take a read of https://linuxmint-developer-guide.readt ... en/latest/
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
Mick-Cork
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Mick-Cork »

Thanks for adding that Smurphos. I had to look again at my own setup and realised I had the 'Expo' applet running. Probably set it up years ago and forgot all about it. It seems to override the setting that you referred to in that switching works without enabling 'allow cycling' under workspace preferences.

Anyway hopefully I didn't confuse the OP, think he hasn't been back since so reckon you caught it in time :)
theironknuckle

Post by theironknuckle »

Oh thanks guys! The toggle workspaces setting was exactly what i wanted.

Regardless, I'm still keen to contribute. I'm planning on making my home in Linux Mint for the indefinite future and so am keen to get deep into the internals and contribute some code. When I have some time I'll get my system set up for development. Really looking forward to dusting off my vim-fu and contributing code to something meaningful! :)

Return to “Programming & Development”