Help compiling a package [solved]

About programming and getting involved with Linux Mint development
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gargy2002
Level 1
Level 1

Help compiling a package [solved]

Post by gargy2002 »

Hi guys,
I'd like to install linuxtrack for head tracking on X-Plane. I have installed more or less all required packages such as opencv and all the Qt packages but the latest error got me stuck..

Code: Select all

sudo make
make  all-recursive
make[1]: Entering directory '/opt/linuxtrack-master'
Making all in src
make[2]: Entering directory '/opt/linuxtrack-master/src'
make  all-am
make[3]: Entering directory '/opt/linuxtrack-master/src'
gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I..   -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -O2   '-DLIB_PATH="/usr/local/lib/linuxtrack/"' -Iqt_gui -g -O2 -Wall -Wextra -Wformat -Wformat-security          --param ssp-buffer-size=4 -fstack-protector -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2  -c -o ltr_extractor-game_data.o `test -f 'game_data.c' || echo './'`game_data.c
game_data.c: In function ‘get_game_data’:
game_data.c:142:59: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type ‘mxml_node_t’ {aka ‘struct _mxml_node_s’}
  142 |       fprintf(outfile, "%s \"%s\" (%s)\n", id, name, appid->child->value.text.string);
      |                                                           ^~
make[3]: *** [Makefile:1265: ltr_extractor-game_data.o] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory '/opt/linuxtrack-master/src'
make[2]: *** [Makefile:855: all] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory '/opt/linuxtrack-master/src'
make[1]: *** [Makefile:498: all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory '/opt/linuxtrack-master'
make: *** [Makefile:403: all] Error 2
I had some help on X-Plane forum but this is as far I could go. I'm on the latest Mint with Xfce.
Thanks!!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Help compiling a package

Post by rene »

https://github.com/uglyDwarf/linuxtrack appears to be a dead project, and this: https://github.com/aliyun/aliyun-oss-c-sdk/issues/77 says that the issue is caused by you having a too new version of, whatever it may be, "mxml" installed; that you should be using a 2.x version for said dead project.

Another comment I quickly ran into said that you should rather than "linuxtrack" use "opentrack", https://github.com/opentrack/opentrack. That then seems devoid of Linux prebuilds as well and I haven't tried, but you may have better luck with it, or try if the Debian build available through here https://github.com/opentrack/opentrack/issues/1117 works on Ubuntu 20.04/Mint 20.x.

Sorry, but way too much of a mess to in fact try here; there's build instructions in that above opentrack issue thread as well if the Debian package as such does not work. I'd in any case not try sticking with the very, very dead "linuxtrack".
gargy2002
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gargy2002 »

Hi, thanks for your reply!!
I know that linuxtrack is dead but at least it works. Someone on X-Plane forum(Debian) said he just reinstalled it the other day that made me believe this is the only solution for head tracking on linux. I have installed Opentrack 2.3 from Snap and then compiled the latest 2021 but none of them works. There is no video input. The 2.3 version at least let me changed the camera in /dev/video0-2(the PS3 camera was in /dev/video2 it did nothing anyway but camera worked in other apps) the latest had no such option at all. I probably need a fresh install because the system wouldn't let me install g++ due to some dodgy package that shouldn't have been in the repos. After I did that it was error after error but somehow compiled it at the end. The plan was to use head tracking in X-Plane but without going back to Uni for a software development degree.:)
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Okay, sorry, but I'm declaring this a lost cause. After getting lots of other preconditions met you can get past the mxml issue by uninstalling any potentially currently present libmxml packages and grabbing the 3 packages from https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/mx ... d/11772091 (all except the dbgsyms) but then you immediately run into a multilib issue for an -m32 compile that it for some reason does (sudo apt-get install gcc-multilib) and then a "opencv2" one which I'm sure you can also patch up from some other source again, but which I will myself not be trying anymore: this is simply to be considered too old, sorry. It'll be probably be better doable on Mint 19 (Ubuntu 18.04 base).

The "universal" binary package by the way relies on qt4 which has also been removed from 20.04 so frankly...
gargy2002
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gargy2002 »

Thanks for your help!
I knew it was a long shot but still hoped that there is a chance. What desktop would you recommend for a fresh install? I used to be a Gnome guy before Mint which is Xfce and only for last 6 months. I was thinking about KDE plasma with the dock. Thanks!
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

If you are saying that you'll be installing Mint 19 to try this again; Mint 19 had already dropped the KDE edition so I'd stick with Xfce again.
gargy2002
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gargy2002 »

No, I'm going back to Debian. X-Plane was the only reason why I switched to Mint because I though it's a more gaming friendly distro. My old laptop with nVidia GT650M worked better with Mint but I have got a brand new RTX one so will give it a go on Debian.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

gargy2002 wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:22 am X-Plane was the only reason why I switched to Mint because I though it's a more gaming friendly distro.
Well. This is the official Mint forum and I'm one of its ridiculously-many posters and can assure you that I am not gamer-friendly at least... :roll:

Anyways. The Steam Deck is running on an Arch Linux base, so it may be the case that e.g. Manjaro is a good choice --- although certainly Steam as such runs fine-ish on Mint. Have now for a few major releases of Mint seen happen that by the time Mint N.3 is around the corner, as is currently the case for Mint 20, the by then old Ubuntu LTS base makes itself known to be old --- and we've lately had a few people here with issues installing Steam directly from Valve which I believe could very well be one of the early signs of that same trouble for Mint 20 again. Ubuntu directly might be the best choice from among the Debian-branch.
gargy2002
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gargy2002 »

I don't use Steam whatsoever and the only two packages from Snap is Opera browser and unfortunate Opentrack. Once the graphics will be up and running on Debian there shouldn't be any issues with X-Plane and I might also try the testing Debian Opentrack package. I started with Edgy and finished with Intrepid when half of my laptop wouldn't work such as audio, network and some chipset. Feisty was probably the best Ubuntu distro but every other one stopped supporting more and more hardware out of the box. No more Ubuntu for me.:) Linux Mint exists only because a bunch of Ubuntu developers had enough of Canonical dictatorship and left Ubuntu to develop Mint or at least I have heard that some time ago.:)
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Anyone certainly feel free to correct me if I'm mistaken but as far as I'm aware neither Clement Lefebvre, Mint project lead, nor any of the other main developers are disgruntled ex-Canonical employees. Canonical being the most commercial of the end-user desktop Linux offerings it gets most free-as-in-stupid-speech end-user abuse hurled at it but note that it's not in fact in any sense a company one should demean. That said demeaning is by and large the very reason that Linux has until this very day remained the fragmented failure on the desktop that it is (personally I've only ever hated Canonical for picking Debian as a base; yah, no need to point out irony there...).

Currently the very commercial entity Valve is through gaming aiming to make Linux less of a failure for home users at least --- but I take it then we're again already hurling abuse at that commercial party as well? I've been here for 20+ years now and can't even say that "history repeats" in the sense that it's not a discrete event which does; it's just never been and undoubtedly never will be other.

1. Write an operating system.
2. Get the FSF and its psychotic fanboy crowd involved.
1677216. Profit.
gargy2002
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gargy2002 »

I have read that long time ago on some linux forum. Never cared about politics like that but since Mint was based on Ubuntu and not Debian I thought there might be something to it with the developers leaving Ubuntu. I left Ubuntu(for Windows 7 LOL) because of the diminishing hardware support of my computer and plenty of people I know experienced much better hw support on Mint than Ubuntu. Although I was looking for a gaming distro I'm not exactly a gamer. X-Plane is the only game I play and it's not even a game but a flight simulator. Shame the Opentrack didn't work out but there is still hope:)
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Specifically as to hardware support that's a kernel matter and Linux Mint's kernels are Ubuntu kernels --- but, okay, it does seem I may have been gearing up for a rant a bit too much there generally. Best of luck with the tracking thing :)
gargy2002
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gargy2002 »

It's been a while when I observed this issue. Computers(mostly laptops) worked out of the box with Mint but not with Ubuntu. It wasn't probably kernel related but still it was a major issue for Ubuntu that lost users because of that. X-Plane is having issues lately probably after the latest update or it might be something with the system. Sound in headphones is cutting off and sounds of some of the helicopters are nowhere near the tunes it had what I installed it.:)

Return to “Programming & Development”