Fixes/Enhancements/Mods/Ports

About programming and getting involved with Linux Mint development
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Drugwash
Level 5
Level 5

Fixes/Enhancements/Mods/Ports

Post by Drugwash »

These are mostly Cinnamon applets that I found somehow buggy, incomplete, raw and/or otherwise not very fit to my personal taste. As such took it upon myself to fix and/or enhance them; in some cases rebuild with new name, or build from scratch by porting code from other platforms.

Please note all these pieces of software do fit my taste but may not fit yours, in which case you may better use the original versions (if exist) or kindly ask me for changes/additions. I may not be around this world for long though so don't hold your breath waiting for changes to be implemented by me - just as I took them and modified them without any prior knowledge of the programming languages involved (javascript, Python, JSON, CSS etc), you can do the same, time allowing.

Some of the pieces listed below have already been featured here in the forums; will just link to their respective topics in order to better aggregate the information. Others have not been published previously and only few days ago decided to release them on my old-but-never-used-before GitHub account; they will receive their respective links.

There is one application I started to work on and got sidetracked by various other issues; it has been mentioned here in the forums and the current incomplete code has been uploaded to GitHub but is not yet publicly available due to possible accidents in its current state.
That application is Plymouth Manager.
I'd appreciate if someone with fair Python3/Gtk3 (and maybe generic Linux systems) knowledge could offer some help, be it only ideas.

The list is as follows (sorted alphabetically):
- Applet PYE (applet-pye@drugwash) @GitHub @forums
- BetterlockPlus (betterlockPlus@drugwash) @GitHub @forums
- Cinn'r eyes (cinn-r-eyes@drugwash) @GitHub @forums
- CPU+RAM monitor (cpu-ram-mon@drugwash) @GitHub
- Download and upload speed (download-and-upload-speed@cardsurf) @GitHub
- Keyboard layout editor (standalone) @GitHub
- Multi-line taskbar (cinnamon-multi-line-taskbar-applet) @GitHub
- Plymouth Manager 3 (standalone) @GitHub private @forums
- Workspace grid 2D (workspace-grid@hernejj) @GitHub

Applet PYE has recently been fixed for Mint 21/Cinnamon 5.4 compatibility. Works in Mint 19/20/21beta.
Keyboard Layout Editor has not yet been tested in Mint 20/21. Works in Mint 19.x.
Multi-line Taskbar has not yet been tested in Mint 20/21. Works in Mint 19.x.
Plymouth Manager 3 has been shortly tested in Mint 21, certain features do work. Works in Mint 19/20.
Workspace Grid 2D may have a few issues in Mint 21 but at least it starts and certain features may work. Works in Mint 19/20.

Further discussions on the above (and or anything else) can take place here in the forums - publicly or by private message - or on my technical blog.
Patches can be provided at GitHub but can't promise to apply/merge them quickly as I still am utterly unfamiliar with that platform.

Oh and today July 19 is my birthday, which is so unimportant.
Last edited by LockBot on Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Fixes/Enhancements/Mods/Ports

Post by antikythera »

Happy unimportant birthday! I wonder how many more applets will break against GTK4? I know SmurphOS does sterling work converting legacy themes and applets for newer Cinnamon versions so it's good that you are also trying to fix old broken or abandoned ones too.
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
Drugwash
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Drugwash »

Thank you kindly for the good wishes. :)

In regard to Gtk4 I'd rather not even think about it, it might be way too much for my feeble soul to take. :roll:

Steve has been working hard with all his themes and other projects, it doesn't seem fair for him to keep working on fixing what was not broken in the first place. Change for the sake of change - to put it mildly - is a horrible, inhuman way of doing business. But that's just too off-topic here and now.

Those few applets and applications I took on just happened to be of interest to me, and worked on them on my 19.2 system which won't see any upgrade - not even to 19.3. If I live long enough and if the secondary test machine won't blow up (the BIOS already screams about the HDD SMART warning imminent failure) I might - and stress might - attempt to check and fix those for Cinnamon 5.4, but that's a big compound if. However most likely other people might work on those and other pieces of software too. The show must go on, eh... 8)
Drugwash
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Drugwash »

Just a heads up: some of the applets mentioned above have received (more) fixes for Cinnamon 5.4 compatibility.
For now the latest versions are at their GitHub locations only - neither the blog nor their respective forum topics have been yet updated.
Applet PYE, Cinn'r eyes, Multi-line taskbar, Workspace grid 2D should work fairly right for now. Waiting for more "improvements" from Cinnamon. :roll:

Return to “Programming & Development”