[SOLVED] getting firmware added to regular release

About programming and getting involved with Linux Mint development
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Outlawtoys
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] getting firmware added to regular release

Post by Outlawtoys »

Hello,

I have a topic that I marked as solved, because I found a patch that corrects a missing firmware, but my issue actually persists every time I apply update to my system. I can re-patch it and fix but I would like to know what needs to happen to get the patch added as something permanent or if it is already on the track to be added to base image.

My other thread viewtopic.php?f=52&t=374513&p=2185316&h ... x#p2185316

It is regarding a Broadcom wireless driver.

If I cannot get the firmware added to regular image, how can I keep it from getting wiped out on update. Since this is a wireless network adapter and if I deploy the system and cannot reach it over the network after an update, that means I have to go retrieve the system or tote a keyboard and mouse to the device and re-install the patch. I was hoping to use these systems for digital signage.

Thank you.
Last edited by LockBot on Sat Feb 18, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Regards,
Jesse
Running Linux Mint 20
Outlawtoys
Level 1
Level 1

Re: getting firmware added to regular release

Post by Outlawtoys »

Outlawtoys wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:30 am Hello,

I have a topic that I marked as solved, because I found a patch that corrects a missing firmware, but my issue actually persists every time I apply update to my system. I can re-patch it and fix but I would like to know what needs to happen to get the patch added as something permanent or if it is already on the track to be added to base image.

My other thread viewtopic.php?f=52&t=374513&p=2185316&h ... x#p2185316

It is regarding a Broadcom wireless driver.

If I cannot get the firmware added to regular image, how can I keep it from getting wiped out on update. Since this is a wireless network adapter and if I deploy the system and cannot reach it over the network after an update, that means I have to go retrieve the system or tote a keyboard and mouse to the device and re-install the patch. I was hoping to use these systems for digital signage.

Thank you.
Bump?
Regards,
Jesse
Running Linux Mint 20
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Outlawtoys wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 9:42 amBump?
If you would like to give attention to your topic, please use the "Bump topic" option. You can find it in the lower left of screen on the Topic Tools (wrench icon). Click the downward pointing triangle beside the wrench to see the "Bump topic" option. We prefer you do that rather than add meaningless posts to your topic.

Regarding your issue:
I see someone posted in RADXA forum nine days ago:
But in the official kernel release notes it says, that the BCM43454/6 has been added to the devices supported by default in the 5.18 release (https://kernelnewbies.org/Linux_5.18#Networking-1 1 under brcmfmac). So if you update your kernel via ethernet to 5.18 or 5.19 (the latest stable version as of writing), it should work out without any additional tweaking.
I do not know how that might interact with what you already have installed, but here is information on how to install a mainline kernel in Linux Mint Mainline – Another Tool to Install Latest Kernel in Ubuntu / Linux Mint. I know others have installed 5.18 and or 5.19 kernels on their system.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
Outlawtoys
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Outlawtoys »

Hello,
I have tried simply updating the kernel but that does not fix the Broadcom Wireless firmware issue. I still had to compile a firmware and deploy, and then re-deploy after an update.

Thank you for your comment and I will try to remember the "bump topic feature".

J.
Regards,
Jesse
Running Linux Mint 20
Outlawtoys
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Outlawtoys »

Clarification, I tried updating to 5.18. I have not tried 5.19. I will give that a go.

Thanks again.
Regards,
Jesse
Running Linux Mint 20
t42
Level 11
Level 11

Post by t42 »

Outlawtoys wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:30 am how can I keep it from getting wiped out on update
You can't, obviously, as you compiling a module for specific kernel. You still didn't reply to the JeremyB's
suggestion here Broadcom wireless not working
-=t42=-
t42
Level 11
Level 11

Post by t42 »

I just look in my 5.18 kernel, there is BRCMFMAC module, so it should work with BCM43454. Just specify it in the configuration.
-=t42=-
Outlawtoys
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Outlawtoys »

Alrighty,

I just ran "apt update", "apt upgrade" then rebooted. My wireless was broken.
I plugged in wired network, installed the suggested Mainline and used it to update to kernel 5.19.1 and rebooted. wireless working...

I will run this for a while and see if subsequent updates hold.

Thanks.
Regards,
Jesse
Running Linux Mint 20
Outlawtoys
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Outlawtoys »

t42 wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 3:03 pm
Outlawtoys wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:30 am how can I keep it from getting wiped out on update
You can't, obviously, as you compiling a module for specific kernel. You still didn't reply to the JeremyB's
suggestion here Broadcom wireless not working
Yes I did answer, I told him that I had found a solution.
Regards,
Jesse
Running Linux Mint 20

Return to “Programming & Development”