Window focus behaviour

About programming and getting involved with Linux Mint development
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lokillouu
Level 1
Level 1

Window focus behaviour

Post by lokillouu »

Hi! I'm a C/C++ student atm. Have been considering switching to linux for some time now, and finally made the decision. So far, so good! Its been over a week now, and I am pretty happy atm. But there are some things that are missing for me, such as "most recent window focus". This means that when I launch a program, I expect the focus to be put under this new window. Let's say I open Brave or Whatsapp with my custom key shortcuts. If I do that, the focus is not moved to them and I cannot start typing until I click on them, which kind of cuts the flow of everything. I thought it would be cool to try and add this myself. If I do it, we all can benefit from it, if I cannot, at least I will learn a lot about Linux from the inside! Can anybody point me to the responsible OS files, or something along those lines? I've been looking for it in the Cinnamon github repo, but there are so many files I get lost. I want to create a new window focus mode, thats all. We have click, mouse and sloppy... And we should have "new"/"most recent".

Thank you!
Last edited by LockBot on Tue May 30, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
vimes666
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Window focus behaviour

Post by vimes666 »

Let's say I open Brave or Whatsapp with my custom key shortcuts.
Normally the focus should shift to the newly opened gui. Is this focus problem also occuring when you open an application from the menu?
Which desktop are you using? (cinnamon/mate/xfce)
If you think the issue is solved, edit your original post and add the word solved to the title.
lokillouu
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lokillouu »

I'm using Cinnamon, great DE. All my apps get focus now. I started testing the shortcuts from the panel, everything working fine, and then I used my keyboard shortcuts... And works fine too! I tend to keep my system updated, so maybe one update fixed it. Still not getting focus on one app, but I guess that is the app problem and not the OS itself if everything else works just fine.
vimes666
Level 6
Level 6

Post by vimes666 »

Ok. There is one setting in cinnamon that could be the cause of that one app not playing by the book.
Check via <menu><preferences><windows><tab behaviour> if 'Give focus to new windows launched from a terminal' is checked. If not, do so and see if it helps.
If you think the issue is solved, edit your original post and add the word solved to the title.
lokillouu
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lokillouu »

Sorry for the delay! I checked and the option is already on. It may be because it is a flatpak? So maybe it is missing some permissions. I will try to mess with it a bit and see if it gets solved. In any case, it does not happen with any other app, so its not a deal breaker.

Return to “Programming & Development”