First English MintCast out!

Get involved, create or participate in a project.
katasuka
Level 2
Level 2

First English MintCast out!

Post by katasuka » Sat Oct 13, 2007 3:23 pm

Check out http://mintcast.blogspot.com/.

This is a special edition ;-)

EDIT: For those who don't know, all pun aimed at Ubuntu is in fun. No disrespect intended ;-)

There is now a remastered version of the first cast. Please check it out and give feedback on things such as quality, layout and such. The remastered cast was done by Dargon/Tera-Alpha Media. Intro song and ending song was also donated by Dargon/Tera-Alpha Media

EDIT by Clem: I'm making this a general announcement to get people's attention and collect as much feedback as possible. There is room for improvement IMHO but it's a very important project for the community and this first episode is very promising.
Last edited by katasuka on Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.

clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem » Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:01 pm

Hi there,

So here we are.. the very first podcast about Linux Mint !! :) Congratulations to both of you for releasing this first episode and good luck for future episodes.

Note: I first thought there was something wrong with the MP3 as it's only 1.5MB but everything was fine with it and I had no problem listening to the podcast.

Criticism (constructive hopefully):

- don't hesitate to use jingles at the beginning and at the end of the show, people love them :) You can also separate your podcast into different sections (news, main story etc..) and have jingles for these.

- take your time, relax and talk to each others more (maybe if you didn't know what each others were going to say before the show). But in fairness you've done really well already. You should have heard Michael and I when we first tried.. it was pathetic (especially Michael... ah no, especially me) :)

- If I was an Ubuntu dev I would hate you :) In fairness Mint is not Ubuntu done better, it's Ubuntu made different.. different vision, different pros and cons and half of what you see comes directly from those Ubuntu devs.. so fair play to them.

- Bananas are great, no doubt about that. :)

Clem

merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 » Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:43 pm

Though I haven't listen to it yet.(don't have mp3 support installed yet), I am sure you are doing a good job.
The website site looks nice.
I think this will take off and do well.

frank392
Level 4
Level 4

Post by frank392 » Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:59 pm

:shock: TOTAL lack of taste, next time have some one to review it before you up-loaded. and the burp totally unnecessary, keep it for your wife. you do not need to disrespect the people that are listening to you.

katasuka
Level 2
Level 2

Post by katasuka » Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:12 pm

Shocked TOTAL lack of taste, next time have some one to review it before you up-loaded. and the burp totally unnecessary, keep it for your wife. you do not need to disrespect the people that are listening to you.
im not gonna say anything to this... except, id like to see you do a better job ;)
- take your time, relax and talk to each others more (maybe if you didn't know what each others were going to say before the show). But in fairness you've done really well already. You should have heard Michael and I when we first tried.. it was pathetic (especially Michael... ah no, especially me) Smile
we did a script, we talked it out and rehearsed it over and over at least a dozen time before trying to record. we also recorded at least a dozen times also. what we got there was about the 12th or so recording. my wife messed up and i just continued.
- If I was an Ubuntu dev I would hate you Smile In fairness Mint is not Ubuntu done better, it's Ubuntu made different.. different vision, different pros and cons and half of what you see comes directly from those Ubuntu devs.. so fair play to them.
i know, i was mainly joking around. ubuntu is ok, yes linux mint is better in my opinion.... but no disrepect aimed at ubuntu :P

sherry19
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sherry19 » Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:33 pm

Hello,i didnt do a lot of it because I get toung tied easily lol and besides for the people who think its not good enough try making two people who joke arround all the time and stick one in there that gets toung tied and you have me :) anyways we hope you like out next one we had fun with the podcast we didnt want it too serous that wouldnt be too fun or personalized although i dont know much about linux besides how to crash it lol and so far i havent crashed mint so i love it lmao though i only froze it once and i donno how :S anyways have a good day

~~Sherry~~

katasuka
Level 2
Level 2

Post by katasuka » Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:58 pm

There is now a remastered version of the first cast. Please listen to it and give feedback about it. Please read the first post of this thread to see the link to the site and find out more.

Husse
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Husse » Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:31 am

Sorry - both podcasters and Clem, but this should not have been posted.
Apart from the lack of seriousness the sound quality is so poor that I did not listen to it all. I don't hear to well and I could only just about hear what's been said and the effort I had to make was to much for me to continue.
I know it's not easy....
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it

d00p
Level 1
Level 1

Post by d00p » Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:50 am

Sorry to say that but i couldn't understand a thing. katasuka is talking WAY too fast and cause of the sound quality i dont even know what they were talking about...(Original MP3 File has much better sound than the remastered mp3...)

plus: we already have a podcast website since April this year http://www.linuxmint.de/podcast.html (it's just not being used cause there was no podcast)
visit LinTelligence.de - Download LinuxMint

msgnomer
Level 2
Level 2

Post by msgnomer » Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:50 am

Hey guys. I say kudos to you for actually accomplishing this goal! I think a mint podcast is a great idea. It has potential.

Aside from what others have said: You need to make a strong effort to speak clearly and smoothly. Ee-nun-see-ate. ;) If it's difficult for a native English speaker to understand (moi), I imagine it's far more so for someone who isn't one.

All in all, I think with polishing and practice, it could be great.
Jess

katasuka
Level 2
Level 2

Post by katasuka » Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:28 pm

well i did say in the cast that im totally new to this so not to expect anything professional.

i already knew there would be people who didnt like the cast for one reason or another.

as for it getting better, i know ill get better at doing it with time and practice. i would like to say though that on this end and on the PSP i tested both casts on... the first one didnt play on the PSP but did play on everything else. The remastered played on the PSP and everything and sounded to me like it had a good volume level.

anyway, after i get moved and get settled in, ill do another one taking into account all suggestions given so far and see how it turns out.

msgnomer
Level 2
Level 2

Post by msgnomer » Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:44 pm

It sounded to me as if you were both a bit muffled.
Jess

sherry19
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sherry19 » Sun Oct 14, 2007 3:50 pm

why doesnt everyone try making a script and try doing a podcast its really fun and you will see that it is very hard to be serous if you keep messing up all the time and stopping and starting and pasting soundfiles together just dont work so you have to be smooth and profectional and serous all the way through will take time even if you completly memorize everything you have to say, its not as easy as it may sound thats why we messed up a lot and we got sick and tired at getting tords the end messing up and having to start all over so yeah.

frank392
Level 4
Level 4

Post by frank392 » Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:10 pm

katasuka wrote:
im not gonna say anything to this... except, id like to see you do a better job
at least you could say sorry.
and next time ask for help, ask people to review it!, I don't know what made you think that Mint is you guinea pig?, and that you can release something in the name of a community, that the only thing that have done, is try to deliver the BEST. and boy that podcast of yours is soooo far from that.

ASK FOR HELP!!! no need to be so arrogant.
and this is not personal, is about the way you are behaving, and your lack of professionalism. take some time listen to other podcast (good ones) you will learn a lot from them, ask them questions they are willing to help.

sorry but that is my opinion.
thank you for trying, but please ask people to review it first.

katasuka
Level 2
Level 2

Post by katasuka » Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:03 am

at least you could say sorry.
and next time ask for help, ask people to review it!, I don't know what made you think that Mint is you guinea pig?, and that you can release something in the name of a community, that the only thing that have done, is try to deliver the BEST. and boy that podcast of yours is soooo far from that.

ASK FOR HELP!!! no need to be so arrogant.
and this is not personal, is about the way you are behaving, and your lack of professionalism. take some time listen to other podcast (good ones) you will learn a lot from them, ask them questions they are willing to help.

sorry but that is my opinion.
thank you for trying, but please ask people to review it first.
first off, what crawled up your butt and died. someone donates their time (and a lot of it at that) and puts together something they never have done before, then release it and ask for peoples feedback and responses and you just diss them and basically say they are arrogant and unprofessional. well DUH im not professional, this podcast isnt making me any money, it isnt going to help "me" in any way, i am doing it in my spare time (which isnt much btw) and i try to not be as stuck up as other podcasts.
It sounded to me as if you were both a bit muffled.
see that was helpful...
You need to make a strong effort to speak clearly and smoothly. Ee-nun-see-ate.
that too was helpful...

however you havent said anything useful or helpful frank392 and you have been quite rude

as for everyone who has offered suggestions and feedback without being rude... i thank you as it will help me make the next one much better.

sherry19
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sherry19 » Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:13 am

we tried our best if that isnt good enough for you then relisten to it were in the begining we said " dont expect profetionals here" and we did it about a linux distro we both like, we didnt say anything bad about it, and why should we say sorry for something we did on our own time for somthing that we like, if you think we were rude try looking at the things your posting. giving helpful hints we accept but being rude and putting us down isnt cool. and how were we behaving bad? oh yeah for not asking someone to review it hello yeah thats why its up here for people here to review it duhhh. but sorry but that is my opinion. anyways good day

Husse
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Husse » Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:34 am

Hey sherry19
You have to put up for criticism
This is a beginning
Fix a few things and you may be on track...
1) Sound quality - I could not understand/hear what you were saying apart from a few words
2)Editing - if you had removed the giggling, burping and long pauses in the introduction it could have been a useful start
3)Let someone listen to it before posting (preferably someone in the Mint team)
4)I tried to get the podcast going earlier and I know it's not easy (failed because of my irregular working hours, the team could never get together :))
So - if you fix the sound quality and make some editing I'm more than willing to listen
Don't feel to bad about it.
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it

900i
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 900i » Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:34 am

My critique for what it's worth.

1. As we are a FOSS community, can the podcast be in OGG and not MP3 format.

2. Slow down and enunciate clearly, I could not understand what sherry was saying half the time. But that could be the result of the poor sound quality.

Good first attempt, that took some bottle (guts).
Core i7 Linux Mint 19.2/Windows 10

clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem » Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:15 am

Although I agree with most of the critics I am really happy to see that project started and very thankful to see you try. For this reason I would like people to help and give constructive comments to encourage you to do better instead of convincing you to stop.

The sound quality is not great but that's easily addressable. My main advice is not to write down everything you're going to say. Just outline the main topics, relax, eventually drink before the show (not too much ok?) and don't be afraid of the microphone.. it's better to hear someone thinking of what he's going to say than somebody making a mistake in saying what he learnt by heart. It takes a great deal of confidence to actually not work with a script but that's how you get a great podcast... just know what you want to talk about and just talk... don't have it on the paper.

PS: I tried that myself with Husse and Michael, and trust me I know how hard it is...

Good luck with that project. Make sure to include other people if they want to participate? (Skype? VoIP? etc..) Don't give up. The main thing is to be more confident and as it crazy as it sounds you actually need less preparation and more relaxation for this to work.

Clem

clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem » Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:19 am

As for publishing it, sure.. how else would you get feedback? I've made it an announcement twice for it appear at the top of the forums but somebody (a moderator, or yourself?) doesn't seem to agree with me :)

In my opinion it's still not ready for public release so I would have kept it in the Mint community (forums, blog, etc..) for feedback but not on distrowatch..

Anyway it's not that important. Good luck with the future episodes and to everybody else, help this project the best you can either by helping improving this podcast or by making another one. Either way do not discourage each others.

Clem

Return to “Community Projects”