How to start a new project for a new backup utility

About programming and getting involved with Linux Mint development
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
fgalgani

How to start a new project for a new backup utility

Post by fgalgani »

Hello everyone,
I'm using Linux from a lot of years and in spare time I write few code for my needs (I'm not a professional developer, I know only the basis of several programming languages). Some days ago I've discovered Linux Mint 12 and now I love it :)

I'm new in this forum.

Some years ago, I wrote in Bash a very small but useful backup utility (based on rsync), that is different from the other ones and with a very simple graphical user interface (based on zenity). I'm using it every week and maybe it can be useful also for others, in particular because its extra optional checking for backup integrity (based on sha1sum, that can be useful, for example, if you are suspecting hardware problems or if you want a deep checking every month). Several times I've fixed few bugs and now I can consider it reliable.
I've packaged it in a deb (tested on various versions of Ubuntu and on Linux Mint 12) for some friends, that also use it.

The license is GPL v.3. At the moment this utility is only in Italian, but I can add support for more languages and translate it in English... or somebody can help me to do it ;)

My question is: how can I contribute to the community? How can I start a project? What is a step-by-step procedure for add my software to a repository?! Who decide which software can be stored in repository?

Thank you,
Francesco Galgani
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Habitual

Re: How to start a new project for a new backup utility

Post by Habitual »

Francescoo:

Welcome to the Linux Mint Community...

Return to “Programming & Development”