I'm Running 32-bit LMDE on 64-bit AMD.

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
chris_debian
Level 2
Level 2

I'm Running 32-bit LMDE on 64-bit AMD.

Post by chris_debian »

Hi, all!

### Posted here so more people see it, instead of the chat area.

I upgraded from Ubuntu 10.04, to the newest (Meerkat) release. Without going into detail, this broke my installation. Having been a long time (11 years) user of Debian, I thought it was time to re-examine my options.

I found LMDE and love it! I saw that everyone was eagerly awaiting a 64-bit release, so I downloaded the 32-bit release to try on a spare 32-bit box. For a brand new and experimental build, it works like a dream.

Whilst burning some 64-bit images to try as my Ubuntu replacement OS, I accidentally burned LMDE to a DVD and booted it. To my surprise, it quite happily booted to the Gnome desktop. I 'fired-up' the browser and thought I'd try YouTube; to my surprise, Flash works!!! This is an achievement on 64-bit, for many distros, never-mind a LiveDVD! As a result of this I ran the installer and within a very short time, I had a Gnome desktop, with all my Firefox bookmarks and files from my old /home partition. I even went over to Skype's website and downloaded the Debian .deb and installed it. Before I did this, I installed gdebi, so it would check for dependencies during the Skype install.

The bottom-line is that I have a great desktop now and (I never really needed any real 64-bit functionality, I just bought the latest hardware) things are working as I want them to. My preferred desktop is Xfce, so I may do a fresh install if (when) an official (and branded) LMDE release arrives, but for now, I am happy to just install xfce4 from the repositories (and also enjoy Gnome).

Thank you to all of the developers involved with this work. If you are running on 64-bit, I urge you to check-out at what you are missing.

Many thanks,

Chris.
Reasons why you may want to try GNU/Linux:

http://www.whylinuxisbetter.net/

linmint777
Level 5
Level 5

Re: I'm Running 32-bit LMDE on 64-bit AMD.

Post by linmint777 »

I upgraded from Ubuntu 10.04, to the newest (Meerkat) release. Without going into detail, this broke my installation
in linux mint, so,
clem not recommend the upgrade.
Linux Mint #1 Distro.
http://mintyubuntu.blogspot.com

asymmetros
Level 4
Level 4

Re: I'm Running 32-bit LMDE on 64-bit AMD.

Post by asymmetros »

I'm Running 32-bit LMDE on 64-bit AMD, from over a month a now.
I m so pleased that i dont know if i ll try the LMDE-64. (It is said that it will probably come this December)
Sid Mint Xfce -32, Openbox, KDE, Enlightenment, Liquorix Kernel
HP Compaq Presario cq71, Intel Core 2 Duo T4400 @ 2.2 GHz, 3 GB DDR2 RAM, Nvidia Geforce G 103M

Return to “LMDE Archive”