SWITCH USER

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
fwin
Level 1
Level 1

SWITCH USER

Postby fwin » Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:25 pm

I installed fluxbox and linuxmint 9 on my laptop and I need to know how to switch user accounts. I have used ubuntu-gnome for about 1year so I am more or less familiar with gnu/linux commands, the terminal etc.. I would really appreciate any help with this problem. thanks in advance!

shane
Level 6
Level 6

Re: SWITCH USER

Postby shane » Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:29 pm

If you mean logging into an account while leaving another signed in... I don't think LXDM supports that since it is a lightweight DM. Theoretically, you should be able to manually start another X session and log in as another user. This is what GDM (in Gnome) does.

fwin
Level 1
Level 1

Re: SWITCH USER

Postby fwin » Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:00 pm

Hi Shane,

thanks for replying, yes I mean logging into an account while leaving another signed in. I tried to start another x session and log in as another user but fluxbox starts with out the tint2 panel. This is what I tried:

STEP 1: CTRL+ALT+ F1

STEP2: log in as a different user

STEP3: startx /usr/bin/fluxbox -- :1

Another problem besides the tint2 panel is that when I log out I can not go back to my original session (i.e. CTRL+ALT+F7). All the terminals tty1, tty2, etc.. are just like frozen, I can only see blank screens, and at this point I just have to manually restart my laptop.

It's too bad that this feature is not supported.

Thanks for the help anyway

Return to “Others”