Changing Wbar position in Fluxbox- SOLVED

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Bubba_Smyth

Changing Wbar position in Fluxbox- SOLVED

Post by Bubba_Smyth »

Dang- I get tired of feeling like a newb...

I used Software Manager to install wbar. Didn't show up in the menu. Navigated to user/bin to find executable and started it. Shows up hidden under the "taskbar" at the bottom. I tried to edit the dot.bar file in user/share/wbar to change the position to the top. Can't save or change the permissions to save.

Downloaded the .deb file and installed wbar_util. It couldn't find the dot.bar file. Navigated to dot.bar file in user/share/wbar. Opened fine. Made changes to position, checked box for startup option, and deleted a couple items under launchers. Saved the file.

Rebooted and wbar doesn't start. Manual restart of wbar leads to no change in position and same items in launcher. If I open wbar_util it prompts me to open a valid config file or create a new one as before. In other words I'm still at square one.

I'm sure the problem is totally obvious to others, and I have searched around. Even tried another config ute. Suggestions please!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Bubba_Smyth

Re: Changing Wbar position in Fluxbox

Post by Bubba_Smyth »

Update-
1) Manual edit of Fluxbox startup file got the dock to load at startup. One down.

2) Restarted wbar_util and got the same message about the missing config file. Noted that it called the file .wbar not *.wbar or "dot.wbar" like it is named in the /user/share file. Said "What to h&ll" and removed the "dot" from in front of the .wbar. The renamed ".wbar" file works perfectly and accepts changes from within my user. Two down.

3) The dock is still stuck behind the taskbar at the bottom of the screen.
Bubba_Smyth

Re: Changing Wbar position in Fluxbox

Post by Bubba_Smyth »

Last problem solved by editing the startup file to include:
In ~/.fluxbox/startup change the wbar command to this
Code:
(sleep 3 && wbar -above-desk -pos top) &
Thanks to Erie Fisher at http://antix.freeforums.org/installing- ... -t985.html. Seems the .wbar file isn't the only file that uses the position line.
Bubba_Smyth

Re: Changing Wbar position in Fluxbox- SOLVED

Post by Bubba_Smyth »

One more thing...

The Wbar from the software Manager is version 1.3 something. There is a 2.0.1 available in .deb format. Tempting but I think I'll just download it for now ( install when I have more time! ).

Return to “Software & Applications”