Linux Mint 13 reaches end of life in April

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics.Please do not add support questions to threads here,use the appropriate support forum instead
Moem
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Linux Mint 13 reaches end of life in April

Postby Moem » Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:48 pm

turtlebay wrote: Sorry Mint admins

There is no rule here that we can't mention about other distros, or recommend them to others. It's cool 8)

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the topic and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Postby xenopeek » Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:16 pm

If you have an older computer that can only run 32-bit software and it doesn't officially support PAE—like a computer with an Intel Pentium M processor—the chance is good you can use Linux Mint 17.x and 18.x anyway. Instructions for this from the release notes: "To boot Linux Mint on CPU which do not officially support PAE please use the 'Start Linux Mint with PAE forced' option from the boot menu." If it doesn't work on your computer you can instead use LMDE 2 as that works with any 32-bit processor.

Linux Mint 17.x and 18.x do require more free disk space for the installation (9 GB instead of 5 GB for Linux Mint 13) but otherwise the system requirements are comparable. The MATE edition and certainly the Xfce edition would be an option for older computers.

If MATE or Xfce are too heavy you can also switch to LXDE. Just install the packages lxde and lxde-common. I recommend you do that with the following command to also get the additionally recommended LXDE packages installed:
apt install --install-recommends lxde lxde-common
Then logout and on the login screen select to login to a LXDE session (use the gearwheel icon in the top right of the login box).

Artemia Salina
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Artemia Salina » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:34 pm

Is this why sudo just died after the last update on my system?

su still works but sudo does not, nor does sudo via a panel when running, e.g. Mint Update.

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Postby xenopeek » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:02 am

No, that is completely unrelated. Linux Mint 13 reaching end of life after April only affects no longer getting security upgrades and, as time goes by, it becoming harder to install additional software. It does not make your software stop working. Please open a new topic for your issue in a support forum.

supertuxkart
Level 4
Level 4

Postby supertuxkart » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:02 pm

turtlebay wrote:
supertuxkart wrote:
Trapper wrote:If you find that LM 17.3 or newer doesn't work well for you, LM 17.2 may be the good choice. It's supported the same as LM17.3 and comes without all the transitional systemd and hardware issues you may experience with 17.3 and beyond. I'm not kicking anything new. I am just saying some people with older hardware may be better off with 17.2.

Mint 17 does works in those old machines, but it is slow as a turtle.
Then it's not possible to wait a couple of minutes just for opening a single browser page.
Ubuntu 12.04/Mint 13 are the last excellent distros which can comply with the hardware as i suggested to many people with older machines.

May I humbly suggest you have a look at PCLOS (PCLinuxOS) which is fast on older machines - http://distrowatch.com/?newsid=09741. as a substitute for Mint 13. Sorry Mint admins but we have to try to look after those with older hardware as not everyone can afford new just to keep up with modern resource hungry distros!

Yes, but there's only a single 32bit community maintained version.
64bit does not fit the CPU.
Anyway thanks.

supertuxkart
Level 4
Level 4

Postby supertuxkart » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:23 pm

xenopeek wrote:If you have an older computer that can only run 32-bit software and it doesn't officially support PAE—like a computer with an Intel Pentium M processor—the chance is good you can use Linux Mint 17.x and 18.x anyway. Instructions for this from the release notes: "To boot Linux Mint on CPU which do not officially support PAE please use the 'Start Linux Mint with PAE forced' option from the boot menu." If it doesn't work on your computer you can instead use LMDE 2 as that works with any 32-bit processor.

Linux Mint 17.x and 18.x do require more free disk space for the installation (9 GB instead of 5 GB for Linux Mint 13) but otherwise the system requirements are comparable. The MATE edition and certainly the Xfce edition would be an option for older computers.

If MATE or Xfce are too heavy you can also switch to LXDE. Just install the packages lxde and lxde-common. I recommend you do that with the following command to also get the additionally recommended LXDE packages installed:
apt install --install-recommends lxde lxde-common
Then logout and on the login screen select to login to a LXDE session (use the gearwheel icon in the top right of the login box).

Thanks for the hint.
As first i will try in my Mint 13 VM ( usually together the real machine, i have always a second copy in VB to find-out the behaviour of the same OS during some tasks which maybe can damage the system or in a external USB HD ) and i will do an installable DVD iso with systemback.
Anyway i am quite sure it will not work.
The AGP video card has lack of support starting from Mint Mate 14 and it is very slow, also.
So i will try with Mint 17.x, in Mint 18 i assume it will be worse.
In case, i will tell the results with this hardware for people who is looking to replace the great Mint 13.

Mute Ant
Level 10
Level 10

Postby Mute Ant » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:10 pm

Why not try LMDE Batsy...no PAE...no kicking...no screaming.
Please backup your files and important data before anything else. Do not assume that [Insert Name Here] will do it for you automatically.

xfrank
Level 4
Level 4

Postby xfrank » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:53 pm

Mute Ant wrote:Why not try LMDE Batsy...no PAE...no kicking...no screaming.

How is the performance of LMDE Mate in an old/weak machine?
Linux everywhere. Distro: LM17.3 (Cinnamon, Xfce); LM18.1 (Cinnamon,Xfce); LM13 - (Xfce) [I will not upgrade LM 13 in may]

turtlebay
Level 4
Level 4

Postby turtlebay » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:28 am

It's a free download, so try it. If it's too slow, bearing in mind that a Live session running off a DVD will always be slower than an installed system, then try either the XFCE version of Mint ( http://distrowatch.com/?newsid=09710) or a lighter distro such as PCLOS 2017 ( http://distrowatch.com/?newsid=09741)

_Josue_
Level 1
Level 1

Postby _Josue_ » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:00 am

Just in case if it helps anyone, I will share my experience.
I must say I have succesfully installed linux mint 18 xfce 32 bit on a very old (2002 or so) Pentium IV. Of course I had to solve some trouble because the machine was specially outfitted with internal speakers:
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=232557&p=1288033
Besides of that, it's now working fine, of course I don't know how hard I can push it since my parents use it only to watch some videos online.
Freedom is the right of all sentient beings.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”