Topics will be closed after 6 months

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Topics will be closed after 6 months

Post by xenopeek »

You can also right-click the title of a post and select Copy Link. Then paste where you need it.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

xenopeek wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 4:16 am You can also right-click the title of a post and select Copy Link. Then paste where you need it.
That's even easier. Thanks!
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
gugalcrom123
Level 3
Level 3

Post by gugalcrom123 »

Shouldn't Your Artwork also be exempt from this?
New logo suggestion by me

My website
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

gugalcrom123 wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:55 pm Shouldn't Your Artwork also be exempt from this?
We don't think so but with the poll topics you had in 2021 and 2022 I can understand why you ask.
gugalcrom123
Level 3
Level 3

Post by gugalcrom123 »

xenopeek wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:27 pm
gugalcrom123 wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:55 pm Shouldn't Your Artwork also be exempt from this?
We don't think so but with the poll topics you had in 2021 and 2022 I can understand why you ask.
As well as Mint Memes!

My website
gugalcrom123
Level 3
Level 3

Post by gugalcrom123 »

I mean, not just Your Artwork, but all forums with topics that aren't questions/issues should be exempt from this. Artwork is subjective, you should be able to get feedback well over 6 months.

My website
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

gugalcrom123 wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 5:31 am I mean, not just Your Artwork, but all forums with topics that aren't questions/issues should be exempt from this. Artwork is subjective, you should be able to get feedback well over 6 months.
The more topics left open, the more time the moderation team must spend removing off-topic and spam posts. As indicated in this post announcing the locking of Open Chat topic:
The primary purpose of this board is to support users having issues or questions running Linux Mint.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
gugalcrom123
Level 3
Level 3

Post by gugalcrom123 »

SMG wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 11:18 am
gugalcrom123 wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 5:31 am I mean, not just Your Artwork, but all forums with topics that aren't questions/issues should be exempt from this. Artwork is subjective, you should be able to get feedback well over 6 months.
The more topics left open, the more time the moderation team must spend removing off-topic and spam posts. As indicated in this post announcing the locking of Open Chat topic:
The primary purpose of this board is to support users having issues or questions running Linux Mint.
Then where would do other things?

My website
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

gugalcrom123 wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:58 amThen where would do other things?
What "other things"? We have forums for artwork and chat and "other things". The only change is how long the topics in those forums remain open for comment.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

xenopeek wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 6:56 amNor will stickied topics be closed automatically.
In my opinion, "sticky" threads should be closed immediately upon creation or, at most, 72 hours from that time. Such threads are universally assumed to contain information that is important to know, useful, or both - and, therefore, should contain neither clutter nor debate. If we want to debate its information, or to have discussions about it, we should create a separate thread for that purpose. Additionally: If, at some future point in time, new information is discovered which changes that which is in the sticky thread, someone who has thread edit permission (e.g., forum staff member) should be notified with a request to either add the new information to the old, or to replace it. This way, the sticky thread remains concise, to the point, and useful. A user who views it in the future is presented with the information contained within it in a precise and simple manner; he or she does not have to read the information - and then continue to read through the entirety of what could be a very lengthy thread in order to be certain that the information is still considered to be valid, true and relevant (something that not all people have the patience and/or ability to do).

Again, IMHO, "sticky" threads should be locked when or very soon after creation. As for every other sort of thread, I have no firm opinion, for or against, because there are valid reasons both for doing so and for not doing so. As long as it's not a case of not locking old threads, but then giving a user grief for finding one and, when he/she sees that it isn't locked, posting in it.

Thank you for your time,
MDM

EDIT: Wait, it's six months after the time when the thread was created, NOT six months after the last post in it? No, no, no, don't do that, it's madness to arbitrarily stop an ongoing discussion! Plus, you're begging people to start creating additional threads soon after one has been created ("This will give someone four 'extra' days to reply to me..."). If you're going to do it, do it properly: Add a no necroposting rule to the forum where, if {since last write activity} >15,770,000 seconds (approximately half a year) then lock thread. Or instead of six months since creation, make it the equivalent of 90 days since last post. That would lock dead threads much sooner - without killing living ones.
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”