Linux Mint 13 "Maya" released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
sh4d0w808

Re: Linux Mint 13 "Maya" released!

Post by sh4d0w808 »

Hello,

Do you know, how to compile VMWare 8 modules? It fails always the first module compilation...
maxghi

Post by maxghi »

xenopeek wrote:maxghi, you may consider putting /boot on Ext4 instead? Perhaps it is somehow releated to separate /boot and/or Ext2...
You are right :)

I tested in Virtualbox Machine and it worked, as I get home I will install on laptop with ext4 for /boot

Thank you :)
nilocs

Post by nilocs »

Have been usin Ubuntu 12.04 but finding problems
with upgrades on a Dell 1525.
Just started using Mint 13.All seems fine and much smoother.Well done gang.
nilics
:)
sh4d0w808

Post by sh4d0w808 »

Okay, I've found solution for installing VMWare 8 Wks on Maya: http://weltall.heliohost.org/wordpress/ ... linux-3-2/
lurkatron

Post by lurkatron »

i dont know if this is the right place to report bugs/annoyances but here we go

-in general im very happy with it, im using cinnamon(maya 64 bit)
-3g mobile broadband NEVER connects automaticly even though its set to. sometimes it doesent work at all
-i cant find any way to delete a 3g connection so that i can make a new fresh one and not having the old one annoying me
-tooltips behind bottom panel if using 2 panels
-still no way to have programs open in the last position it was used, or fixed window placement. this annoys me SO much
-busy cursor for ages when opening nautilus
-screenlets blank out (as in becoming a black square) for a few seconds now and then and way too often before reverting to what they should look like
-adding or removing an applet causes tray icons to disappear (banshee for example)
-why wasnt the new single window gimp included?
-vlc even if set to 'always set audio start level to 0%' just doesent even tho the slider is at 0% - its still loud
bugmenotprettyplz

Post by bugmenotprettyplz »

chrnoble wrote:GeForce 6150SE
I have the same card and the same issue. Upgrading to the latest NVIDIA drivers in the X-Swat PPA resolves this issue for me (hit CTRL+ALT+Backspace to log out, use Gnome Classic to add the repository and upgrade your drivers, then log back into Cinnamon), but I've since switched to MATE anyway. Cinnamon is pretty, but it doesn't run especially well on my lower-end system--the interface is significantly more laggy than MATE, and so is Gnome Classic when using certain themes.

A couple of issues, for the record:

- PPAs added in both the MATE and Cinnamon editions both default to "Maya" instead of "Precise". I thought this would be fixed for the final release, but that doesn't appear to be the case.

- Cinnamon doesn't appear to support flashing/urgent application panel windows, at least not in any Cinnamon/GTK3 theme that I tried. This is an odd change, as Adwaita most certainly had this functionality in Mint 12, but doesn't anymore, even in Gnome Classic. This is a deal-breaking issue for me, and is one of the reasons I'm using MATE.
jonhen

Post by jonhen »

Having used Linux Mint 10 since it was released and found it to be excellent I have to say Maya MATE is superb. Installation on my HP DV2500 Centrino was flawless, quick and uneventful. I must congratulate you on this LTS, well impressed. :D

Jon
chrnoble

Post by chrnoble »

add the repository and upgrade your drivers,
And now is when I reveal my ignorance: How do I add the repo? Not very (read: at all) experienced in how to do that. Thanks in advance.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

chrnoble, the commands you need to add that repository, AlbertP shares here: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 02#p563707
chrnoble

Post by chrnoble »

@Vincent You have just saved my sanity.
nathanjh13
Level 3
Level 3

Post by nathanjh13 »

Great release gang. I can't help thinking of LM12 as a bit of a "Vista" nowadays.

Well done!
ChrisOfBristol

Post by ChrisOfBristol »

/dev/urandom wrote:
ChrisOfBristol wrote:If I manage to finish this document in time, I'll do some research on the Web to find out what a WM does, and why they might exit.
Thanks for your help, I like Mint/MATE so I'd like to get it working properly.
Good luck!
I think the window manager draws the borders around a window and puts the title bar and buttons on. I've deleted any directory in my home directory or in the .config directory that mentions MATE, Gnome, Metacity, or Mojo since they all have something to do with windows or desktops, in the hope that I would delete the messed-up configuration files and when I logged in default ones would be created. Unfortunately now when I login I get my desktop background but nothing else, no menu bars atall so I can't do anything. I've got a live Xubuntu disk which I'm using now in case you are wondering. I've tried installing Xubuntu and that works fine presumably because it uses different configuration files. When I reinstall Mint/MATE I'm back to a blank desktop. I format the / partition every time but I have /home in a separate partition.

I know how to login to a command prompt by ctrl-alt-F2 so I could type commands to delete files or install software with apt-get but I am a bit out of my depth now, I think I've made things worse in fact because before I could at least use the computer even if the windows were a bit awkward to use.
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

ChrisOfBristol wrote:
/dev/urandom wrote:
ChrisOfBristol wrote:If I manage to finish this document in time, I'll do some research on the Web to find out what a WM does, and why they might exit.
Thanks for your help, I like Mint/MATE so I'd like to get it working properly.
Good luck!
I think the window manager draws the borders around a window and puts the title bar and buttons on. I've deleted any directory in my home directory or in the .config directory that mentions MATE, Gnome, Metacity, or Mojo since they all have something to do with windows or desktops, in the hope that I would delete the messed-up configuration files and when I logged in default ones would be created. Unfortunately now when I login I get my desktop background but nothing else, no menu bars atall so I can't do anything. I've got a live Xubuntu disk which I'm using now in case you are wondering. I've tried installing Xubuntu and that works fine presumably because it uses different configuration files. When I reinstall Mint/MATE I'm back to a blank desktop. I format the / partition every time but I have /home in a separate partition.

I know how to login to a command prompt by ctrl-alt-F2 so I could type commands to delete files or install software with apt-get but I am a bit out of my depth now, I think I've made things worse in fact because before I could at least use the computer even if the windows were a bit awkward to use.
Unfortunately, I think you have to use a different home partition (either wipe the current one or make a new one). The only way I can think of to fix this is to reinstall with a new home partition, but keep your old home partition. That way you can access documents from your old home partition, but you will get everything you need back in the current one (config files, etc).
ChrisOfBristol

Post by ChrisOfBristol »

cwwgateway wrote:Unfortunately, I think you have to use a different home partition
That's well scary! I assume I could copy my stuff (no dot or other configuration files) from the old one to the new one when it was all working. I'd have to subdivide the / one into / and /home, but I don't know what I would mount the old /home as. In fact there is no way there would be enough space to do that.

What about just deleting every single file starting with a dot and deleting all of .config, would that be likely to capture the culprit?
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

ChrisOfBristol wrote:
cwwgateway wrote:Unfortunately, I think you have to use a different home partition
That's well scary! I assume I could copy my stuff (no dot or other configuration files) from the old one to the new one when it was all working. I'd have to subdivide the / one into / and /home, but I don't know what I would mount the old /home as. In fact there is no way there would be enough space to do that.

What about just deleting every single file starting with a dot and deleting all of .config, would that be likely to capture the culprit?
You could copy stuff from one /home to the other. As for deleting every single file starting with a dot, no. Deleting those files (and other files) are what started this - those files start with a dot because that makes them hidden. They're hidden because the system needs them to work. Deleting those files means your system won't work. My only suggestion is to install Mint 13 MATE (just one partition - /) and copy all of the files that start with a dot from that installation to your current one. That takes all of about 10 GB, maybe less.
ChrisOfBristol

Post by ChrisOfBristol »

cwwgateway
I have installed gnome-shell and everything is working again apart from having no window borders, title bars or buttons. Interestingly when I pressed the "show desktop" shortcut I got the message "your window manager doesn't support this or you aren't running a window manager". As usual I can get the window borders back by opening a terminal and typing

Code: Select all

metacity --replace & 
I think that all I need now is a window manager to start when the computer is switched on.
momist
Level 4
Level 4

Post by momist »

ChrisOfBristol wrote:That's well scary!
<snip>
No, don't do that. I'll try to explain a way out in simple terms. How much space have you available, not counting your separate /home and /swap? If it is large enough, you need to divide the root '/' partition into two. One big enough for a new Mint 13, and a new /home. Either do this using gparted, or possibly the Mint 13 installation disk. While you are looking at your partitions, identify the old /home partition - you are going to rename it.

When you install the new Mint, put root on /, home on the new /home, and rename the old /home as /old or /music or something like that. /swap can stay as it is. Only format the new home and the new root. Set the old home with the same previously used file format, and set it to mount with the new name you've chosen for it.

Once installation is complete, you can copy across from /old (or whatever) into the new /home what files you need, and if you wish to clean the system, delete everything else in there once you are sure you won't need it. That emptied /old (or whatever you name it) can be left empty until you install something else in the future, or if you have named it intelligently, you could put things in there, like all your music, or photos, or whatever. This would ease up the space needed in /home, so the new /home doesn't need to be big enough for music or pictures.

I hope that is not too confusing. Do you have a backup of the old /home somewhere, before you begin? It should have been backed up before you started, but of course it's only your documents and stuff that you are worried about, not those configuration files.
momist : a follower of the Greek god Momer.
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

ChrisOfBristol wrote:cwwgateway
I have installed gnome-shell and everything is working again apart from having no window borders, title bars or buttons. Interestingly when I pressed the "show desktop" shortcut I got the message "your window manager doesn't support this or you aren't running a window manager". As usual I can get the window borders back by opening a terminal and typing

Code: Select all

metacity --replace & 
I think that all I need now is a window manager to start when the computer is switched on.
Open a terminal and type "gnome-session-properties" (without quotes). This will open up startup applications. Click the add button. For name, type "metacity" and for command type "metacity --replace &" (both of these without quotes). This should add metacity to startup. One of the things you delete when you delete the dot directories is your startup applications.
ChrisOfBristol

Post by ChrisOfBristol »

Mint/MATE
momist wrote:I'll try to explain a way out in simple terms
Sounds like what I need! I didn't know you could make up your own partition names when installing. There is hardly any space left, but I think I understand what you are getting at so I will give it some thought then come back with a plan.
momist
Level 4
Level 4

Post by momist »

Sorry Chris, I won't be here to help as I'm leaving for a holiday tomorrow.

You can only make up names for partitions that don't already mean something to the the system, so 'pictures' and 'music' may not be allowed. I have one partition called 'data' and another called 'sightnsound', because 'media' is not free to be used.

When installing from the DVD, the final option called something like "do something else" is what you need, but I don't know if creating new partitions is possible with that, as I haven't done it. I do know that renaming the 'mount point' works. I would use a gparted live session CD to change the partitions, and then move on to the install disk. Gparted is available on some Linux installation disks as an option to be used, but I don't know if it is on the Mint DVD. Whatever you use, be careful with these tools, they're very sharp and powerful!

Good luck with it.
Ian
momist : a follower of the Greek god Momer.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”