Linux Mint 5 Elyssa - BETA 032 is out!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics.Please do not add support questions to threads here,use the appropriate support forum instead

Re: Linux Mint 5 Elyssa - BETA 032 is out!

Post by Guest » Tue May 13, 2008 3:39 pm

GRUB entry for XP missing:
I installed Mint for the first time. During the installation it did not recognize my windows XP partition (but it did recognize the Vista and recovery partition). So I have to add the XP grub entry manually.
I had expected a confirmation after having looked for other OS present on the system, before installing grub (as under ubuntu).

stroom

stroom
Level 1
Level 1

Post by stroom » Tue May 13, 2008 3:42 pm

Guest wrote:GRUB entry for XP missing:
I installed Mint for the first time. During the installation it did not recognize my windows XP partition (but it did recognize the Vista and recovery partition). So I have to add the XP grub entry manually.
I had expected a confirmation after having looked for other OS present on the system, before installing grub (as under ubuntu).

stroom
Sorry for posting as guest, this should not have been an anonymous first post.
I want to add that Ubuntu did not have this problem (installed on same partition before I formatted it to install Mint).
Last edited by stroom on Tue May 13, 2008 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Helmeci
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Helmeci » Tue May 13, 2008 3:56 pm

yeah im downloading the torrent as we speak. it started of saying like 3 weeks. then finally after like 30 mins sped up and went down to about 4 hours. got like an hour left.

micpet
Level 1
Level 1

Post by micpet » Tue May 13, 2008 4:06 pm

Bug report:

Browser kicks out when watching You Tube videos. Same problem that Hardy has.

When restoring previous session in FireFox, it resets preferences in add-ons. Most annoying.

Hope a fix for this can be found. Ubuntu has made no effort at all on this problem.

Thanks.

red-e-made
Level 5
Level 5

Post by red-e-made » Tue May 13, 2008 4:14 pm

micpet wrote:Bug report:

Browser kicks out when watching You Tube videos. Same problem that Hardy has.

When restoring previous session in FireFox, it resets preferences in add-ons. Most annoying.

Hope a fix for this can be found. Ubuntu has made no effort at all on this problem.

Thanks.
Ah, I believe this is a Firefox thing. Some problem they're having with Flash. Can't say FF3 has been any different, either.

merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 » Tue May 13, 2008 4:23 pm

red-e-made wrote: Ah, I believe this is a Firefox thing. Some problem they're having with Flash. Can't say FF3 has been any different, either.
I have Firefox 3pre(nightly builds) and flash is working fine in Daryna.
Maybe it's a little of both, Hardy and Firefox 3 Beta.
Last edited by merlwiz79 on Tue May 13, 2008 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lantesh
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Lantesh » Tue May 13, 2008 4:27 pm

Ok got the Beta installed. Here are some observations.

1. I saw some comments on the themes, and I had one particular issue myself. First I had to turn off the new Gnome Compositing. Things were a mess prior to that. I now have Compiz running. When I change a theme everything is now changing except the colors on the Mint Menu. I end up having to go and turn the customs colors for the Mint Menu on, and then back off again, and then Mint Menu picks up the colors of the current theme.

2. It was mentioned in a previous post, and a picture was posted showing that other mounted drives are not showing up named after the folders they are mounted to. As was stated this bug also is also in Hardy Heron. I had this same issue in a Hardy installation of Edubuntu. Because of that on Fred's advice I used the latest live CD of Gparted and gave all my partitions labels. What makes this interesting is that the Elyssa Beta picked up those labels during installation, and my mounted drives are named correctly. My conclusion is that the latest version of Gnome/Nautilus displays the partition label instead of the mounted folder name. So if you haven't labeled your partitions you get some generic name like "30 gig" or whatever.

I'll post back with any additional findings.

red-e-made
Level 5
Level 5

Post by red-e-made » Tue May 13, 2008 4:30 pm

merlwiz79 wrote:
red-e-made wrote: Ah, I believe this is a Firefox thing. Some problem they're having with Flash. Can't say FF3 has been any different, either.
I have Firefox 3pre(minefield) and flash is working fine in Daryna.
Maybe it's a little of both, Hardy and Firefox 3 Beta.
Could very well be. I've experienced Flash video causing the browser to lock up when I try to close the tab to where I have to force quit. My workaround is to click over to another tab before closing the tab with the Flash video on it. Usually works. Maybe it's time for me to give FF3 another day in court.

jake74
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jake74 » Tue May 13, 2008 4:33 pm

Installed and running well on my Asus EEE 701

I'm a complete linux noob, having installed Ubuntu a few times in a virtual machine, but never really tinkered with it until I got my EEE. Using the post-install instructions on eeeuser wiki for Heron, everything seems to be working well, Wifi, Camera (Skype) and Volume/Brightness all work.

I like the style and design of LM, being a graphic designer myself, and think it's a cracking distro. I've tried quite a few since I got my EEE!

cheers

aapiethaaap
Level 2
Level 2

Post by aapiethaaap » Tue May 13, 2008 4:42 pm

The crashing firefox with flash is a problem with the plugin, i saw the ubuntu bugreport and have experienced it myslef, it effects al browsers wich use the plugin so epiphany doesnt work properly either, only opera uses its own plugin so that is kind of usable when viewing flash.

kayakaholic
Level 3
Level 3

Post by kayakaholic » Tue May 13, 2008 5:04 pm

micpet wrote:First off:
Only problem so far seems to be with the workplace switcher. Will not change from 4 spaces to less, such as the 2 spaces I prefer
If you have compiz running you have to change it in the compiz-config rather than right clicking on the workspace switcher.

Only things I've found is that the login screen preferences takes about 3 minutes to load, but that was the same in hardy I think. Oh and although rhythmbox has mp3 support out of the box after installing banshee I had to grab some other mp3 library from the repos, once again I had to the same in hardy mind you.

bghntr
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bghntr » Tue May 13, 2008 5:13 pm

Acer TravelMate 6465WLMi notebook:

Reporting a problem doesn't work: it reacts with throwing up a dialog that it has crashed, after that it reports not being a genuine Ubuntu package.

ATI build in graphics card Mobility Radeon X1300: if one enables the ATI restricted drivers you loose the resolution and you'll end up with 800x600 on a screen which natively has 1680x1050.(Ubuntu 8.0.4 did this perfectly well) Elyssa gets the correct resolution without ATI drivers and good looking sharp fonts. (the latter in contraire to *buntu and Debian 4.0rX)

I opted not to display any icons on the Desktop, simple to set up now. However, when I did a Elyssa > Home Folder : just clicked it, nothing else, my Desktop was trashed out of the blue with a series of icons like Documents, Downloads, Music and a load of others, including Desktop. I can't seem to get rid of those. When you dump them to the trashcan they're gone of course, but you end up with an incomplete
/home directory, because these items are missing then. So if that happens to you, don't empty the trashcan! For now I have put those icons all together in the Desktop directory which icon was put on the Desktop too (yes, weird, I know) in an attempt to at least clear up my Desktop a little. (this is the real show stopper for me, duh!)

Elyssa didn't install v4l2 needed for the Acer Orbicam (webcam based on Suyin chip), so Ekiga didn't work. I installed it through Synaptic and after that Ekiga and Cheese work.

Updating went without a cinch, no problem. Accessing and using the Software Portal, including installing applications: no problem. Using Synaptic to fetch some packages and install them: no problem either.
Sound: no problem, after sliding up the surround slider (and making it visible) in the Volume Mixer.

micpet
Level 1
Level 1

Post by micpet » Tue May 13, 2008 5:24 pm

kayakaholic wrote:
micpet wrote:First off:
Only problem so far seems to be with the workplace switcher. Will not change from 4 spaces to less, such as the 2 spaces I prefer
If you have compiz running you have to change it in the compiz-config rather than right clicking on the workspace switcher.

Only things I've found is that the login screen preferences takes about 3 minutes to load, but that was the same in hardy I think. Oh and although rhythmbox has mp3 support out of the box after installing banshee I had to grab some other mp3 library from the repos, once again I had to the same in hardy mind you.
My machine is too old for compiz effects. It has an nvidia nv11DDR GetForce2 MX200 card! Sluggish at best of times, but serviceable. The workspace switcher preferences have always worked. That is why I posted it.

Thanks, though. Still best distro out of box, even in beta.

Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

WANTED! mintTools menu entry!!!

Post by Zwopper » Tue May 13, 2008 5:34 pm

Still high on my wish list is to have a separate menu entry for the mintTools!
I think it would add to the Linux Mint uniqueness!
Wanted Feature.png
Wanted Feature.png (47.11 KiB) Viewed 3702 times
So I started a poll here!!!
Last edited by Zwopper on Wed May 14, 2008 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4

ratpertus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ratpertus » Tue May 13, 2008 5:44 pm

Hi,

my first impression of LinuXMint 5 Beta: great! I've been using the previous version for quite some time and like it a lot.
So far I encountered to possible bugs:
1. When I installed the Beta for the first time, I used the compatibility mode - installation stalled at 87% while trying to get time form a network-time-server. Secind time with standard install no problems.
2. My wlan causes trouble (AVM Fritz! USB) - it seems as if the nm-applet doesn't get the wlan-key from the keyring-manager - I had to manually enter it every reboot. Standard Ubuntu had no problems. Maybe my fault, but I lack the deeper Linux-insight to tell.

Keep up the good work!

ratpertus

red-e-made
Level 5
Level 5

Post by red-e-made » Tue May 13, 2008 5:50 pm

By the way, I've had my torrent client on for a little over an hour now and have found no more than 5 peers and 2 seeds, with the highest download speed being 2 kB/s. The tracker I'm connected to is linuxtracker.org. Should I be using another one?

mosaias
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mosaias » Tue May 13, 2008 6:11 pm

Until now, overall usability ok. Two problems so far, however:

- Elyssa didn't auto-mounted my NTFS partitions during boot. I had to manually mount it or edit fstab by myself. For me it's ok, but auto-mount the NTSF partitions for the new user could be a nice idea, since there is some users - like me - who store personal data in NTFS partitions for both use in Windows and Mint (dual boot).

- There is a video playback problem in some computers with Intel videocard (my case) and compiz. When the window is moved, the video glitches in a blue screen. It's ugly and annoying. I found the solution here: http://forum.compiz-fusion.org/showthread.php?t=1152 , and I think that would be a good idea to fix this problem by default.

Cheers!

Arron
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Arron » Tue May 13, 2008 7:01 pm

bghntr wrote:Acer TravelMate 6465WLMi notebook:

ATI build in graphics card Mobility Radeon X1300: if one enables the ATI restricted drivers you loose the resolution and you'll end up with 800x600 on a screen which natively has 1680x1050.(Ubuntu 8.0.4 did this perfectly well) Elyssa gets the correct resolution without ATI drivers and good looking sharp fonts. (the latter in contraire to *buntu and Debian 4.0rX)
Exact same problem with me. The ATI restricted drivers worked well for me with X/Ubuntu 7.04, 7.10 and 8.04, as well as Daryna Main and XFCE. This is on my Compaq R4000 series with Radeon Express 200m.

Aside form that, looking VERY nice!

Husse
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Husse » Tue May 13, 2008 7:29 pm

The not automount of partitions confirmed only root and swap (did not use a separate home now, but I've since mounted my /home in a folder in home
Seems not to be possible to log in as root - not that i recommend it
http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... 55&p=77072
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it

w6kkt
Level 1
Level 1

Post by w6kkt » Tue May 13, 2008 7:57 pm

Downloaded & installed Mint-5-Beta 032. Great distro. The only problem I had is no bootloader installed. No boot loader option in installation. My fix was to add Mint-5- Elyssa configuration script to Mint 4.0 grub menu.lst on another partitition. I have nine partitions using eight Linux operating systems on this computer. As I have stated many times, "Mint" and "Ubuntu" in my opinion. are the best of the best PC operating systems (including all versions of MS Windows) for the average pc user.
Thank You,

Jesse (w6kkt) :D
Intel Pentium G3220
Asrock H81M-ITX mb
8gb PC3 ram
1x samsung 128gb ssd
Samsung dvd burner
Silverstone SG05 ITX case
Jesse (w6kkt)

Return to “Releases & Announcements”