Linux Mint 5 Elyssa - BETA 032 is out!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Linux Mint 5 Elyssa - BETA 032 is out!

Post by clem »

Hi,

The first release candidate for Linux Mint 5 Elyssa is out and available for download.

Release notes: http://www.linuxmint.com/rel_elyssa.php
Download page: http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php

Please test it heavily so we can find and fix as many bugs as possible. Bugs are to be reported here in this thread. A lot of things are new so make sure to read the "What's new in Elyssa" section of the release notes.

Clem
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Linux Mint 5 Elyssa - BETA 032 is out!

Post by Zwopper »

Tried it yesterday, had a few quirks to it...

* When I insert my headphones in the headphone socket, the speakers mute, but there's no sound in the headphones.
* Desktop effects had to be turned on and off two times to get it to work.
* It took forever for the live CD to boot.

Other then that it worked fine, all hardware found except my on board card reader.
A lot of useful features, for instance the new version of the mintTools feels very stable and mature.

Nice artwork (thank you Jernau!), but inconsistent.
The boot screen says: High tech, Sci-Fi, Youth.
While the rest of the artwork says: Business, Elegance, Minimalistic, Mature.
Just my two cents...

Other then that, a nice selection of themes, but a new default icon set (exclusive to Linux Mint) would really improve the looks and the personality of this release A LOT.
Personally I'm no fan of the default blue mint theme, should be a green shade in my opinion.

Nice to have it out so fast though - excellent job from everyone involved! :!:
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by npap »

OK Zwopper,
Your art suggestions are very good but Elyssa is a masterpiece in itself :)
Good to have some variety in themes and backgrounds though.
Cheers,
npap.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Zwopper: The new GTK theme lets you change the colors.. click "customize" on the theme, "color" tab, and change the blue to any color you want .:)
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

--> that's mentioned in the release notes by the way 8)
KenWeiLL
Level 2
Level 2

Post by KenWeiLL »

Since it's based in Ubuntu 8.04, does it also supports Wubi installer?
KLM Merchant Hubs - A Coupon & Voucher Website
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

KenWeil: No it doesn't. "Based on" can be ambiguous.. from a an ancestor/descendent point of view the only Ubuntu release Elyssa would be indirectly based on is Edgy. It's built by modifying Daryna basically. From a package base point of view, Elyssa is based on Hardy since it sits on top of the packages which make the base of its system. Wubi is not something we've worked on, it's an improvement made by Ubuntu which we didn't port to Linux Mint.
Ookami

Post by Ookami »

I'm downloading it at the moment, but I'm probably going to run out of time. I'm leaving for an A-level exam in school, so it'll have to wait until after I fail it.
Sorry to put you on hold, clem, but... it's General Studies D:
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by npap »

Ookami wrote:I'm downloading it at the moment, but I'm probably going to run out of time. I'm leaving for an A-level exam in school, so it'll have to wait until after I fail it.
Sorry to put you on hold, clem, but... it's General Studies D:
O gee! Why should you fail the exam Ookami. We all wish you success. :)
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

It is, make sure to check the MD5 of your downloaded ISO.
belovedmonster
Level 5
Level 5

Post by belovedmonster »

As the person who started a thread about Gnome-do being great I am taking credit for it's inclusion :D Was a nice surprise to see its set up to run by default. Thanks Clem.

I'll have a play with the beta when I get some free time, but in terms of the release notes, it would be nice if there was a screenshot of the whole mintmenu. At the moment you show the different sections but you never show the whole thing as it would appear in the corner of your desktop.

I wouldnt use the word "pathetic" when you say "Don't worry, if you find this pathetic you can turn it off in mintAssistant" about the fortune cookies. Alluding that people might find one of your features "pathetic" sounds really unprofessional. It's a bad choice of words Clem.

Finally, would it make sense to include a donate money link somewhere at the top or bottom of the release notes? People might be more willing to donate a few bucks if you remind them that Mint needs funding while they are salivating over the new features. :mrgreen:
rivenought

Post by rivenought »

I have one of my machines seeding the torrent. I am not very good with artwork, I am not worth a hoot at programming, but I can do my small part to help out the Mint community.
Nathan_S

Post by Nathan_S »

Currently very satisfied of Daryna, Great that finally you have released Mint 5 Beta. Currently downloading to get the feel of it.
One question regarding firefox 3 and 2. I preffer due to add-on compatibility the firefox 2package . Have you solved the problem that was raised in several UBUNTU forums regarding the existence of both packages side by side, and the downgrading problems I encountered during the use of Hardy ?
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Nathan: Firefox 2 and 3 can be both installed and you'll end up with two distinct entries in the menu. The only limitation is that you can't run both at the same time. If you want to run FF2, you need to close all instances of Firefox first, then launch FF2 from the menu.

Belovedmonster: Actually both session and the menu entry run the mini mode of Gnome-Do, it would be nicer if the menu entry ran the normal one.. I'll make sure to fix that in the stable release. Also, how would you rephrase the sentence about fortune?

Clem
belovedmonster
Level 5
Level 5

Post by belovedmonster »

"and as it wasn't enough for the terminal to show stupid fortunes, we now have them said by a koala, a moose, or even Tux himself! (Don't worry, if you find this pathetic you can turn it off in mintAssistant"

Stupid is another word that needs to go. You might wanna say something like...

"and as it wasn't enough for the terminal to show light-hearted fortunes, we now have them said by a koala, a moose, or even Tux himself! (Don't worry, if you don't like this you can turn it off in mintAssistant"

This is just a suggestion, use different words if you like, the important thing is you don't use overly negative words. They might work in a casual forum post, but in something as factual as a list of new features they just stand out like really clunky choices of words.

English lesson over 8)

Don't forget to fix Gnome-do :wink:
Nathan_S

Post by Nathan_S »

I don't know much about programming, and I know it's somehow un-orthodox to say so, but because the release candidate is still in BETA phase, won't it be easier to somehow change the code lines, in the final release, to allow upgrade from firefox 2 to 3 through mozzila, instead of putting both packages in Elyssa (according to my knowledge firefox 3 is in Beta phase and lack's compatibility to many usefull addon's), this might also set mint as more community oriented then ubuntu and might increase market share with the less knowledgable computer users.
KenWeiLL
Level 2
Level 2

Post by KenWeiLL »

I have a little suggestion.
I haven't downloaded and tried Elyssa yet. So im not sure if this has been improved in this latest release.
Its something about mintUpdate.

As I have noticed with mintUpdate(from Daryna), every time it fetches for a list of updates from the internet, it takes too long to wait to see the list of updates. Yes, im having a slow internet connection. But still, there should be a way to show some loading bar and estimated time left until it finishes fetching the list of updates. Like that of the Update Manager of Ubuntu, it shows a status of how much time left, with the list of repos(not sure if repo is the name for that), so that we, with slow internet connection, somehow have a clue on how much time left before its finished. Whether its really fetching or not, whether its active or not.

Hope this suggestion will be put in consideration for the final release of Mint 5.
KLM Merchant Hubs - A Coupon & Voucher Website
Nathan_S

Post by Nathan_S »

Regarding the fortune phrase, I realy don't see the problem, It add's some fun to the use of the terminal and tof he computer, and as said, if someone does not get the humor he or she can always turn them off with mint assist.
I don't know, maybe if to many people will find it offending, you might change the default to not using it, although I realy don't see why. Humor is good for you, and so should be the use of our distro. For m, I intend to keep it.
Nathan_S

Post by Nathan_S »

Regarding the "stupid" and "pathetic" remarks clem, in hebrew they are sometimes used in the same light hearted spirit :lol: as been used by you, so I realy don't mind it.
Husse

Post by Husse »

We have not had the time to look at FF 2 and 3 side by side
My recommendation is never to run two versions of the same program in the same system
(Will soon be seeding)

Return to “Releases & Announcements”