Linux Mint 5 Elyssa - BETA 032 is out!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics.Please do not add support questions to threads here,use the appropriate support forum instead
donec
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Linux Mint 5 Elyssa - BETA 032 is out!

Post by donec »

I am online and using Linux Mint 5 Elyssa Beta 032 and my first impressions are great. However! I have to unlock my wireless every time I reboot and when I unlock it and go to properties the WPA Personal password/phrase shows too many dots and will only work if I delete them all and reinsert the correct password/phrase
Don
http://bestwebstop.webcentr.net
Links and accurate information provide the best answer, while garbage in provides garbage out.ImageRegistered Linux user # 449322
Moved up to LM17 KDE

derek
Level 1
Level 1

Post by derek »

ominousluv wrote:
E: Problem parsing dependency Depends
E: Error occurred while processing mymoney (NewVersion1)
E: Problem with MergeList /var/lib/apt/lists/packages.linuxmint.com_dists_elyssa_import_binary-i386_Packages
E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.
E: _cache->open() failed, please report.
Used the same CD on 2 other computers. First time I've seen this. Mintupdate and Synaptic both give the error.

EDIT: Reinstalled OS and everything seems to be working.
I saw this this afternoon when I tried to install something. Not sure what it was, but after an apt-get update the problem seems to have gone away. (Not terribly helpful, I know, but it doesn't look like a problem that should require a reinstall.)

donec
Level 4
Level 4

Post by donec »

Linux Mint 5 Elyssa - BETA 032 has the absolute best printer setup I have seen good job. It found my hp 932c connected to our XP machine and the process was totally intuitive.
Don
http://bestwebstop.webcentr.net
Links and accurate information provide the best answer, while garbage in provides garbage out.ImageRegistered Linux user # 449322
Moved up to LM17 KDE

clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

E: Problem parsing dependency Depends
E: Error occurred while processing mymoney (NewVersion1)
E: Problem with MergeList /var/lib/apt/lists/packages.linuxmint.com_dists_elyssa_import_binary-i386_Packages
E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.
E: _cache->open() failed, please report.
Hi,

This can happen sometimes and it's nothing to do with your system, it basically means something is wrong with the repositories. We added MTH mymoney (a finance application) to the repositories earlier on today and found out that the package definition was malformed, so we removed it and contacted the developers to get a newer package.

It affected the repositories for about 5 minutes.

Clem.

metalf8801
Level 1
Level 1

Post by metalf8801 »

When I install a program that I can't install using software portal I have to log out and log back in before it shows up on the menu. The 2 programs I run into this with are Savage 2 and Penumbra Overture Demo.

clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

It sometimes take a few seconds/minutes for the menu to refresh, to force the refresh right click on "Elyssa" and select "Reload Plugins".

Clem

kelean
Level 2
Level 2

Post by kelean »

I have attempted to run Elyssa on two different computers. First, a dell opti-plex 110 P-3 866. It would not boot, but this is not the first distro that failed on this computer. Mint 4 ran well in it though. Second machine a AMD 1800+ 384 megs of ram. The live CD ran great, the splash screen was awesome looking. Booted very fast and ran extremely fast for a live CD. I liked it so much that I wiped my hard drive on my dual boot of Dream and Ubuntu. Install went great, but when I reboot I was greeted to the old splash screen, not the cool one from the live CD. Everything looked good. I have a nvidia quatro2 graphics card. The pop up about installing the nvidia drivers, so I did that. I rebooted and was greeted with a 800x600 resolution that I could not change. I tried installing the driver with envy but did not help. So back to hardy until this issue gets resolved. This is a great release. It looks awesome and the mint tools and tweaks are very cool.

Keep up the good work.

Kelean

67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 67GTA »

I noticed the increased partition moving times with the Hardy/Mint installer also. I also downloaded the latest Gparted live CD to use, and it was exactly the same. It took 5 hours to move a Vista partition from 116GB to 30GB.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke

nikos
Level 1
Level 1

Post by nikos »

Hi All,
I installed LM5 on my old Acer Travelnate 525TE and everything works fine, inclunding the usb wireless connection. I only completely removed firefox 3b5 and installed 2. I noticed that enabling progams from the main menu sometimes they only appear in Elyssa menu after a boot. I am really very happy!!
EXCELLENT WORK, Thanks to the Mint team.
Nikos

clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Just a note to all the early Elyssa users out there: A bug was fixed in MintUpdate. It sometimes failed to refresh the list of packages (telling you your system is up to date when really it's isn't). In case of a failure mintUpdate now forces an APT refresh so this doesn't happen again. This is fixed in version 2.7, to upgrade mintUpdate, either choose mintUpdate in the list of upgrades within mintUpdate (:)) or do the following in a terminal:

Code: Select all

apt update; apt install mintupdate
mintAssistant was also updated a few days ago.. but that's only if you're interested in getting the animals for the fortune messages :)

Clem.

twin
Level 2
Level 2

Post by twin »

clem wrote:
mintAssistant was also updated a few days ago.. but that's only if you're interested in getting the animals for the fortune messages :)
COOL! Thanks a lot Clem!!! :D :D :D

clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

mintBackup was also updated yesterday (it's missing in BETA 032). It was a great tool as it basically created a tar archive of your home folder, gzipped it, md5'd it and tared the whole thing again so your data was in a single .backup file which knew its own MD5 (well the md5 of its data anyway). the problem though was performance and disk.. space. MintBackup was not optimized at all :)

I made a test on 3.5GB of data. It took about an hour... and used 14GB of disk space.

I looked into it and found out that the 3.5GB of data resulted in a 3.5GB tar file, which once gzipped was 3.4GB big. While gzip was doing its work we were loosing precious time, using another 3GB on the disk... and all that, only to save 100MB on the resulting file. Same with the MD5, it needs to be added to the tar.. and here again we were loosing space and time.

So I heavily modified (simplified) mintBackup.. it doesn't compress anything anymore and it doesn't check any MD5 signatures :) It's much faster and it only uses 3.4GB (your disk had to be 75 % empty, now 50% will do).

While using mintBackup you should exclude large folders and files (which you can backup manually), mintBackup is more suited at saving all the rest really (all your small files and your configuration). Once the .backup file is created you should also make sure it works fine... simply double-click on it, and when mintBackup opens it, click on "View Content" to make sure it's ok.

To get mintbackup type this in a terminal:

Code: Select all

apt update; apt install mintbackup
Clem

j0s3
Level 1
Level 1

Post by j0s3 »

Hi clem,
first of all thanks for excellent Linux Mint you are doing great work. I can't wait for proper release so I'm going to try LM5. Thank you

Roberto Il Milanese

Post by Roberto Il Milanese »

Thank you,Clem!LM 5:the best distro in the linux world!
Ciao from Milano,Italy.

Husse
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Husse »

67GTA wrote:I noticed the increased partition moving times with the Hardy/Mint installer also. I also downloaded the latest Gparted live CD to use, and it was exactly the same. It took 5 hours to move a Vista partition from 116GB to 30GB.
It has to do with partition structure and if data is present and if that data has to be moved or not
I've been resizing a few partitions on this computer and my new laptop lately so I've noticed the long time it takes sometimes
This did take some time
Shrink a ntfs from some 80 GB to some 30 GB - Gparted said shrink and move to the left although it was as far to the left as possible alreadey
This did not take time
Expand an empty extended partition to fill up the void
This took really long time
Expand a partition with some 10 GB data to the left
(Because now the data is copied to the left)
This did not take time
Expand a similar partition to the right
Hope you see the pattern
And left in Gparted means the beginning of the disk (which is the outer rim)
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it

MikesHeadRoom
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MikesHeadRoom »

kelean wrote:The pop up about installing the nvidia drivers, so I did that. I rebooted and was greeted with a 800x600 resolution that I could not change. I tried installing the driver with envy but did not help.
I'm experiencing the same problem with an nVidia GeForce2 GTS/Pro. Hardy works just fine though. I hope this problem can be addressed. Thanks to all for the great work! Elyssa looks to be the best distro yet!

Husse
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Husse »

ominousluv wrote:First, I hope I'm being helpful with my picky little questions/concerns.

Having said that, I noticed that under "all applications", everything is alphabetical, except the prorams begining with "mint". When I installed mintbackup, it did insert itself within the proper alphabetical order. Is this intentional, a bug, or at least is there a way for me to reorder the menu list?
I have it in alphabetical order....
Could it be that mintUpdate for some reason is not interpreted the same as Mintupdate in your system
Of course this is helpful, but not everything is a bug in Elyssa, it can be a bug specific to one system
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it

7even
Level 1
Level 1

Post by 7even »

Kynan wrote:
Kynan wrote: Equalizer for exaile no longer works (pulse audio?).

Sound laggs much more easily and worse when doing things in the background while listening to music. (pulse audio?.)
To quote myself so you know what i'm talking about.. i did some searching and found that it is a problem in hardy and the exact problems i was experiencing were also being experienced by others.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=4928900
This link... Is it resolve your problems with pulse audio?

U.S. Mint
Level 1
Level 1

Post by U.S. Mint »

Have no trouble with Daryna.
Elyssa Beta 032 produces distorted, unusable video.
Starting Elyssa Beta 032 in Compatibility Mode produces correct video.
Why?
Mainboard is Via PC3500G, using built-in video.

67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 67GTA »

The "Download the Linux Mint 5 User Guide" link on the start page just leads back to the start page. The link address is http://www.linuxmint.com/start/elyssa/#
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke

Return to “Releases & Announcements”