Linux Mint 5 Elyssa - BETA 032 is out!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.

Re: Linux Mint 5 Elyssa - BETA 032 is out!

Post by Guest »

Well, it is a pimp-uppped Ubuntu, and I think I made a better one myself. VCL instead of mplayer so I could play more multimedia formats like m3u streams. Using realplayer I can play all kinds of realplayer streams. Mplayer can't.
Seriously: Skip mplayer and use VLC instead. Using the same codecs it has better lip sync (especially on WMV) and handles interrupts better.
For example: Go to wwitv.com and look at Netherlands (no, I am from Sweden!). Try to play Consumenten TV. It will be stopped. You can try to re-start it over and over again, it just stops. Using VLC (not the plug-in but the real program) you get a message about a faulty GIF file. This is what stops mplayer from working. In VLC, just tell it to skip it, and the video starts. A huge amount of video streams have this problem, which makes mplayer unusable, but VLC works every time, the only thing you have to do is to close the window telling you that there is a problem.
I would LOVE Linux Mint if this was corrected, as it is probably the best Windows-killer around.
But for now, I prefer the original Ubuntu 8.04 plus Ubuntu-restricted-extras plus VLC plus RealPlayer. That way I can play almost all media formats on the web. With Linux mint as it is now, only about half of them.
You are SO CLOSE!!! -- but not there, yet. I have installed Ubuntu and the extras on four computers the last week. If you had gone all the way it would have been Mint instead...
/Stefan Berge, Valutronic, Sweden / http://www.valutronic.se
Zero Prime

Post by Zero Prime »

Just to add my 2 cents. I just finished playing around with the live CD. WOW!!! I've never had a live CD boot that fast. All the programs were snappy. I'm impressed. I'm not going to install yet because I'm waiting for the final, but if the live CD alone is any indication of the full install then Clem and the gang have done an outstanding job.
derek

Post by derek »

I've been running Elyssa since yesterday evening, and it looks very nice. The only two problems I've had were the issues with the mintmenu not using the system theme until i unticked the 'use custom colors' box (which probably isn't really a bug, just an annoyance,) and after installing the nvidia drivers, my display was set at 800x600. Easily fixed with nvidia-settings, but I had to call it from the command line via sudo. Opening nvidia-settings from mintmenu would change it for that session, but it wouldn't (or i didn't see the option) run it as administrator, so the xorg.conf wouldn't save properly.

I'm not doing anything terribly fancy with it, in terms of my config, but this beta seems solid enough for me to use full time.
xwin78
Level 1
Level 1

Post by xwin78 »

LM5---dreamy even in beta! Way to go Clem & Team.

I'm beginning to wonder how long till the rest of the world catches MINT FEVER!

thank you all so much!
live for what you'd die for
ku4tp

Post by ku4tp »

Apologies if this post is redundant. I could find nothing in a search.

I had installed Hardy on my laptop (Presario DV6000 series) and b43-fwcutter with firmware and the restricted drivers manager worked beautifully. With Elyssa, no joy. I'm even having trouble getting ndiswrapper, which has worked fine in the past - with Celene - to function. Anyone else experience similar issues?
Rob Brill

Post by Rob Brill »

Hi Everybody

Version 5.0 Beta Elyssa
I am running Linux Mint Gnome Main Edition since the day before
yesterday. Awesome Graphical Grub. I have changed the wallpaper
and replaced it for another i caugut on Mint's Art Gallery. Sorry,
i do not like black themes although they are very attractive to many
Mint's users. I prefer green, blue or carbon themes.

I would like that some Zwopper themes were added. They look great.
Mint's design art team is very talented.

Great! The possibility to uninstall programs through Mint's menu

Mint's mounted all my partitions and added them to the grub menu.
In order to know which partition i want to watch, i need to open it
clicking on the hd icon because only media partitions size are shown.

Cons:

PPPOECONF
After configuring pppoeconf, i got a connection activated but i couldn't
surf the web.
that's what i did to fix it:
sudo route add default ppp0
Once configured no more problems.
This is very common on Debian releases.

It wouldn't happen on Mint 4.0 Gnome Main Edition and Kde Ce - Daryna
It does not happen on Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu 8.04, Mandriva 2008.1

Mintinstall (softwares) from:

Software Portal - It's Ok
removed - it does not work
Apt - it does not work

Rhythmbox works fine but sometimes i can't hear music from
any radio station (Virgin, for instance) Late at night it is
a good choice here in Brazil. Canadian, Norway, NC State,
Magnatune stations work every time. Last.fm (no chance)
I have a good broadband internet connection. Perhaps the
very heavy internet traffic. Are there any restrictions to
listen to Virgin Radio Stations? Virgin Xtreme is a very
******* good one.

Hope Mozilla to change this firefox 3 Beta5 (very soon)
to Rc1 - it crashes sometimes - indeed no good

Linux Mint is not a remix of Ubuntu (Gnome) Kubuntu (Kde).
It's a more Special Distro and contributes with a lot of fantastic
innovations and tools to the Linux World. Everybody should
scream it everywhere.

Congrats Clem and team

Let's wait for the final version with no stress, ok?

Cheers
Roberto
Last edited by Oscar799 on Mon May 03, 2010 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Offensive language removed
Clint

Post by Clint »

elbeto wrote:I tried to boot the CD but it didn't work :(

I will wait for the next release.

elbeto

hi there,

Did you checksum the download and also what speed did you record the cd? slower the better
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

Rob Brill wrote: I would like that some Zwopper themes were added. They look great.
Mint's design art team is very talented.
Cheers
Roberto
Thanks Roberto! :oops: :oops:
I agree, there are many talented artists in the Mint community!
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4
Clint

Post by Clint »

Hi Clem,

very nice job on LM5, could you please shed some light as to why the wireless (broadcom 43xx) does not work in LM5, I had no problems in LM4 it works a treat, I have done the same as i had to in LM4, to try and get it to work. is i something to do with the new kernel?
Iam still playing about with the live cd of LM5, but my hard drive install still is LM4 and i runs very well indeed

I hope that there is a way to get my wireless working on LM5, otherwise i willl be staying with LM4, unless another distro can produce the goods, for the record my wireless will not work in Ubuntu 804. I have all the restricted drivers loaded and the firmware (I can connect my laptop to the net using a lan cable) so i can download the drivers.

In addition when i try to use the windows driver and set the network up i get a response saying that "you do not hold the privileges to set up network"???

hope that you or someone can help me out here,

thanks in advance and keep up the good work, I am not a programer but i will help out in any way i can i have using linux on and off for about 8 years now

regards

clint
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by npap »

Hello fellow Minties :)
Try this mirror if your download is too slow.: http://ftp.cc.uoc.gr/mirrors/linux/linuxmint/5/ Around 45MB/sec.
Good luck :)
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by npap »

Clint wrote:
elbeto wrote:I tried to boot the CD but it didn't work :(

I will wait for the next release.

elbeto

hi there,

Did you checksum the download and also what speed did you record the cd? slower the better
Try downloading from this mirror http://ftp.cc.uoc.gr/mirrors/linux/linuxmint/5/ Elbeto
Star Span

Linux Mint 5 Elyssa - BETA 032 is out! KDE anyone?

Post by Star Span »

tried Elyssa and it's looking really nice. Lovin' the little tweaks done especially in the menu section, good thinking. anyway is there a KDE version coming soon. Gnome is OK but I'm privy to KDE. I might install Gnome anyway and see if I can get KDE to work through Synaptic.
Thanks to everyone who made this incredibly easy and fun distro possible. FREEDOM!!!
oliverjames
Level 4
Level 4

Post by oliverjames »

It looks very nice. There are some interesting security changes, trying to remain Zen about these!

One particular issue at present concerns access to the fat32 partition where my email folder lives. I looked in fstab to change the permissions to - defaults,utf8,umask=007,gid=100 - but I cannot find the partition reference. It appears that there are some changes.

Please can anyone tell me how to configure access to this partition so that Thunderbird can read and write to it.

Overall impression so far, very good. Installed without a glitch in 15 minutes.

Oliverjames
Last edited by oliverjames on Fri May 16, 2008 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Husse

Post by Husse »

access to the fat32 partition
There is a change in mounting of partitions
Only root and swap seems to end up in fstab
Copy the line you have in Daryna, change the dev if necessary - don't use UUID and create a folder in media if you prefer to have it there or where ever you want
kayakaholic

Post by kayakaholic »

It seems that to use NTFS partitions for your music library in banshee or rhythmbox you have to first open the partition in nautilus otherwise the apps just wont access the partition.
Lantesh

Post by Lantesh »

Jadephyre wrote:as with Hardy, Elyssa is telling me that it can't find my processor... thanks for using the same shitty kernel as Hardy does.
And thank you for your shitty post! :roll:
big_dog1968

Post by big_dog1968 »

Is there a projection for when the final comes out?
If I install the beta now, will I be able to upgrade, or do I have to do a clean install?

I have Hardy up and running perfectly right now. Initially the Live CD would not boot. I kept getting busy box every time, until I added irqpolling as a boot option. Will I have to/be able to do this with Mint?

BTW, I had this same problem before and despite much help from Fred and Clem I couldn't get it to work http://linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9601 (I had pre-maturely celebrated, but it went bad again soon after and I gave up until Hardy). It turns out to have been that simple issue that was ruining things for me.
Zero Prime

Post by Zero Prime »

If your brave you could update to the new kernal. To do this you would have to enable the backports. This kernal is a very iffy thing though. For me it gave my system a very nice performance boost. For many it has worked great, but of course there are the few. Some have had a lot of trouble with it. Considering you have ATI graphics though you may want to wait until EnvyNG is also updated because it does not support the kernal update yet, but it is being worked on.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

For any of you that are having problems, here is a list of Hardy related problems and the status of things.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/hardy/+bugs

Since we are using Hardy's repositories and packages I thought this might be of interest to some of you.
Zero Prime

Post by Zero Prime »

You don't update your system? That's new to me.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”