Linux Mint 5 Elyssa - BETA 032 is out!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics.Please do not add support questions to threads here,use the appropriate support forum instead
asdfsafdasdf

Re: Linux Mint 5 Elyssa - BETA 032 is out!

Post by asdfsafdasdf »

Is there somebody who has tried to dist-upgrade from daryna to elyssa after having sources.list replaced with
http://upload.linuxmint.com/elyssa/sources.list
??

Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

cello_911 wrote:i am using linux mint 4 Daryna and very happy but would like to update to Linux 5 elyssa, is there a way of updating to 5 without losing all my configurations or files and documents ? I am a new user to linux learning all the time so please if possible step by step advice would be appreciated..

Cello_911
Use mintBackup to backup your /home-folder and it shouldn't be a problem, or if you have a separate home-partition you can leave it unformatted.
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4

Zero Prime
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Zero Prime »

I guess my problem with Firefox is not a bug in LM but a bug in Firefox with flash. I tried the beta edition of Opera with flash and it works fine. Maybe when the update for Firefox 3.0 RC1 is released in the repos this will fix the problem.

Zero Prime
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Zero Prime »

Kynan wrote:Wow after trying youtube again i noticed something strange was happening... when i have exaile open and then open up firefox and goto youtube i get no sound only video... when i close exaile and firefox and reopen it the sound and vidio both works... now the really strange part is that if i open youtube first the sound and video work but i cannot play any songs in exaile it comes up with the play symbol but it is stuck on 0seconds and if i click down the progressbar it zips right back to 0.

I'm guessing this is a pulse audio or flash bug?
That sounds like it would be a Pulseaudio. Pulseaudio seems to be committing itself to the first application you open that requires sound output and then won't even recognize that a second application is open.. Did that make any since?

monaro70

Post by monaro70 »

Hi All,

I have just downloaded Elyssa -BETA 32 and tried to install it over LM 3.1 - no go. The programme goes through to the splash screen and gets to the live desktop. When the "Install" icon is selected Linux asks for the area the computer is in , what type of keyboard and and the format of the keyboard. Once these processes are completed it looks at the partitions and searches for devices on the computer. The programme searches for the devices for a couple of minutes and then reboots the computer and the process is repeated with the same result. I haven't had this problem when loading 3.1 or other distributions of Linux.

My computer has two Linux harddrives, could this be the problem? What else could possibly cause this?

Regards

Monaro70

Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

cello_911 wrote:zwopper..do I loose all my addittional applications on linux 4 if i install elyssa. ?

cello_911
Yup! :(
But the configuration of them will still be there when you reinstall them, maybe you can use APTonCD... - I don't know... :?:
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4

mmesantos1
Level 8
Level 8

Post by mmesantos1 »

Well I finally have Linux Mint running well on my PC. There still is a performance loss however. For some reason Linux Mint 5 does not run as fast as the previous version Mint 4. I am hoping since it is still in the Beta stage this will be corrected in the Final release. But I would like to say job well done to the Linux Mint 5 team. :D

If anyone else is having the same performance issue and has found a way to correct it please let me know. Thanks in advance.

Acid_1
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Acid_1 »

I know this is a Ubuntu 8.04 issue, but wireless for Broadcom is really aweful to get working.... It takes a bit, but it'd be cool if you guys could fix it so it works like it did in Daryna :P

linuxdynasty

Post by linuxdynasty »

I had a issue with getting compiz to work under a parallel desktop session on my MAC Book Pro..

This is the first time I used Mint and I must say I do love it and I did not see any performance issues at all under my parallel session.
I liked it so much I put the screenshots on my site http://www.linuxdynasty.org/linux-mint- ... shots.html

j0s3
Level 1
Level 1

Post by j0s3 »

cello_911 wrote:do I loose all my additional applications on linux 4 if i install elyssa. ?

cello_911

You might loose some, some of them stay. I did not format boot disk and could import settings from thunderbird and firefox bookmarks. Everything you had in /home stays how it was (do not know how it is with mintBackup). I reinstalled it last weekend and it was rather quick and painless.

Clint
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Clint »

Acid_1 wrote:I know this is a Ubuntu 8.04 issue, but wireless for Broadcom is really aweful to get working.... It takes a bit, but it'd be cool if you guys could fix it so it works like it did in Daryna :P
Hi,

what broacom ar you are using, (lspci) will list it, i too had problems getting it goin in LM5, but it wokrs fine in Ubuntu 8.04, are you using the restricted drivers???

Clint

mmesantos1
Level 8
Level 8

Post by mmesantos1 »

Well I have found a problem that I normally would have found after install but have over looked but when I play a DVD movie disc or try to play video from the Web I get audio but no video. I made sure all lib's were installed and gxine is installed. I even installed Ubuntu restricted extras and did not help. I did not notice this issue in this forum so if any one else has come across this issue and found a fix please let me know. Thanks in advance for your help.

7even
Level 1
Level 1

Post by 7even »

I don't like Rhythmbox but after I've removed & replaced it with Exaile I can't load and listen audio CD. I had to install Rhythbox back again. :?

spas87
Level 2
Level 2

Re: FF3 and anotther Bug discovered (3d graphics)

Post by spas87 »

Wraeththu wrote:FF3 also crashes on my system after beginnig to play flash movies (like in youtube), but not all the time.
Another bug iI discovered has to do with 3d graphics (games):

My system: Monitor resoution: 1680 x 1050
Geforce 7800 GS+ (7950 Chipset)
Nvidia driver

if you start a game, choose fullscreen AND the same resolution as the desktop has, it loooses focus, you cant move the mouse in the game and the menu bar is still visible at the bottom. Sometimes you can still move the mouse in the menu bar, sometimes it wont work at all. In some cases the menu bar continuously flickers (appears and dissapears again)
When I choose another resoution, like 1440 x 900, everything works fine and as desired.

Games tested:
Sauerbraten
Tuxracer
Nexuiz

Workaround for now: I choose the lower 1440x900 screen resolution in Games.
I've used PNY NVidia 6600 gt

Ive got the same problem but when i use 1280x1024 resolution in game which is my screen resolution as well.

newbie clone

Post by newbie clone »

Top of the morning to ya,

I like the overall feel and approach of Minty over Ubuntu or Kubuntu but I had a couple issues on install and I thought I'd share it here.

For some odd reason, after install, minty wouldnt boot from my drive, tinkering around I found that while it was trying to load root as /dev/hda5, it in fact wasnt finding that device. So I changed the grub menu to list it as /dev/sda5 and tada, it works.

The splash screen doesnt because it's looking for /etc/grub and cant find it. I tried copying it to /boot/grub which is a seperate partition from root, we'll see if that fixes it.

Same problem with my broadcom wifi as everyone else I suppose, ended up installing bcm43xx-fwcutter, used it on a saved copy of bcwl5.sys and it seem to be working. This is better than my previous ubuntu 8.04 install which used the b43 version, my system became unstable after that and I've reinstalled because of it.

Thanks for the effort minty team,
cheers,
-=C=-

_-_

Post by _-_ »

1. Great release! Best Linux distribution on the market!

2. Thanks for the grub-bug-workaround:
rgn wrote:I solved it by simply copying the file message.elyssa to /boot/grub and change the gfxmenu entry to this "gfxmenu=/message.elyssa".
3. I had to change the gfxmenu entry to "gfxmenu=/grub/message.elyssa" to make it work.

Regards,
_-_

spas87
Level 2
Level 2

Post by spas87 »

Kynan wrote:
Zero Prime wrote:
Kynan wrote:Wow after trying youtube again i noticed something strange was happening... when i have exaile open and then open up firefox and goto youtube i get no sound only video... when i close exaile and firefox and reopen it the sound and vidio both works... now the really strange part is that if i open youtube first the sound and video work but i cannot play any songs in exaile it comes up with the play symbol but it is stuck on 0seconds and if i click down the progressbar it zips right back to 0.

I'm guessing this is a pulse audio or flash bug?
That sounds like it would be a Pulseaudio. Pulseaudio seems to be committing itself to the first application you open that requires sound output and then won't even recognize that a second application is open.. Did that make any since?
Yea i think you are right. Man i absolutely hate pulseaudio i've had nothing but problem after problem, first choppy sound then no equilizer effects now this.. ugh i think im going back to ALSA untill they fix all these bugs.
can you remove it and will it fix 5.1 sound issue thtanks in advance :-)

metalf8801
Level 1
Level 1

Post by metalf8801 »

When playing a full screen game at some point the game will leave full screen and when it does this I can't move my mouse. The keyboard commands work but there doesn't seem to be anyway to get the cursor to move.

This probably won't help but I had a problem like this on Ubuntu 7.10 but have not had it on Ubuntu 8.04.

Lantesh
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Lantesh »

metalf8801 wrote:When playing a full screen game at some point the game will leave full screen and when it does this I can't move my mouse. The keyboard commands work but there doesn't seem to be anyway to get the cursor to move.

This probably won't help but I had a problem like this on Ubuntu 7.10 but have not had it on Ubuntu 8.04.
I had this issue in Daryna. Turn off Compiz before you play a full screen game, and this won't happen.

badmotor 2

Post by badmotor 2 »

idiotkiwi wrote:Badmotor

Good to hear there are more of us. This is the time of the year I always (occasionally) think fondly of Auckland........... No frosts.

Regards
True! But we have humidity times 10. You feel like you are eternally wet.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”