Linux Mint 5 Elyssa - BETA 032 is out!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics.Please do not add support questions to threads here,use the appropriate support forum instead
7even
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Linux Mint 5 Elyssa - BETA 032 is out!

Post by 7even »

Kynan wrote:
Kynan wrote: Equalizer for exaile no longer works (pulse audio?).

Sound laggs much more easily and worse when doing things in the background while listening to music. (pulse audio?.)
To quote myself so you know what i'm talking about.. i did some searching and found that it is a problem in hardy and the exact problems i was experiencing were also being experienced by others.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=4928900
This link... Is it resolve your problems with pulse audio?

ominousluv
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ominousluv »

I have it in alphabetical order....
Could it be that mintUpdate for some reason is not interpreted the same as Mintupdate in your system
Of course this is helpful, but not everything is a bug in Elyssa, it can be a bug specific to one system
All of the mint items are lowercase "m". I installed mintBackup and it properly inserted itself (alphabetically). the other mint stuff (mintUpdate, mintAssistant, etc.) are all at the bottom of the menu. mintBackup was installed after installing Elyssa, whereas the others came with the Elyssa installation.

***Just checked my laptop and it is in the proper order. Guess it's just this one desktop.***

U.S. Mint
Level 1
Level 1

Post by U.S. Mint »

Have no trouble with Daryna.
Elyssa Beta 032 produces distorted, unusable video.
Starting Elyssa Beta 032 in Compatibility Mode produces correct video.
Why?
Mainboard is Via PC3500G, using built-in video.

67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 67GTA »

The "Download the Linux Mint 5 User Guide" link on the start page just leads back to the start page. The link address is http://www.linuxmint.com/start/elyssa/#
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke

clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

mintMenu 3.5 was simply reporting "3.3" in the about dialog, so that's fixed in 3.6 (tiny bug really). As for the user guide it's not ready yet..

Clem

Catze
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Catze »

BUG REPORT:

Trying to install the Mint 5 Beta on my Amilo Si1520. I always get an [Errno 5] Input/output Error.
post() while post();

Husse
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Husse »

U.S. Mint wrote:Have no trouble with Daryna.
Elyssa Beta 032 produces distorted, unusable video.
Starting Elyssa Beta 032 in Compatibility Mode produces correct video.
Why?
Mainboard is Via PC3500G, using built-in video.
Compatibility Mode is "Safe graphics mode" (which is veas and should be changed to proper drivers a s soon as possible) and a few boot options like noapic (don't have the list right now)
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it

Clint
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Clint »

Husse,

Many thanks for your help, but iam afraid its still not working, even did a hard drive install, still nothing.

One interesting thing though, i downloaded Ubuntu 8.04 and it works fine, I am trying to find out what is the difference between the two, am currently running on Ubuntu as its working, like i have said before LM4 works fine, i have also posted in the hardware section

thanks again

clint

rgn
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rgn »

First of all i want to say that this is a great release! I was a fanatic Ubuntu user but now i've changed to Linux Mint Elyssa. It's great!

But, i found a small bug: the Grub splashscreen (gfxmenu) doesn't work correctly when you install Linux Mint Elyssa with a separated /boot partition. The problem is that the "gfxmenu=" entry in /boot/grub/menu.lst point to /etc/grub/message.elyssa. This directory can't be found when it's on another partition. I solved it by simply copying the file message.elyssa to /boot/grub and change the gfxmenu entry to this "gfxmenu=/message.elyssa".

Maybe this configuration should be changed in the final release so that it will work.

Husse
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Husse »

@ rgn will be in the release notes
I'm not happy with gfxgrub from a support point of view but it seems to remain there for now
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it

MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

Just installed, noticed a bug right away (inherited from Ubuntu):
- My Broadcom WLAN card does not "bring up" a wireless extension, posted the fix here
Other notes:
My back and forward buttons on my MX Revolution mouse works out of the box! Though the "window switcher" does not work, and the "center button" brings up the Tracker search tool, I want it to be like a center click, though you can't have everything :)
My HP Laptop has a deactivate pad button, when activating it again it still launches help browser (0xf5) That should be forced to F1, IMO, then people can change it if they have another button for it. Same thing in Daryna (not so sure if it is like this in Ubuntu though, I might have to check it up).
The brightness when it starts up is set to minimum, when the desktop is loaded it does not set it to full, even though I am plugged in. This might be some powersaving features set, but this is a clean install, I have not changed anything (except doing the fix above). I think this is related to some new feature I saw in Ubuntu 8.04, where the brightness is set to minimum from boot until the desktop is *fully* loaded (ready for use) and then change it to full.
I can't really see anything more just out of the box, might notice some things later on though :)
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin

grizwald
Level 3
Level 3

Post by grizwald »

I see there is a Firefox update http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all-beta.html available but how does one install it? The "Check for Updates" is greyed out on my Firefox 3 software. With luck this update might fix the drop outs that are being experienced when using Firefox and Elyssa.
I have downloaded the file and unpacked it OK and am presented with an array of folders and files. Where does one graft/copy them?

Any thoughts/advice [constructive] would be appreciated?

Grizwald.

67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 67GTA »

grizwald wrote:I see there is a Firefox update http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all-beta.html available but how does one install it? The "Check for Updates" is greyed out on my Firefox 3 software. With luck this update might fix the drop outs that are being experienced when using Firefox and Elyssa.
I have downloaded the file and unpacked it OK and am presented with an array of folders and files. Where does one graft/copy them?

Grizwald.
The update will come when it is uploaded to the repo servers. Firefox is kept from updating by itself to keep it stable, as are other apps from the repos.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke

merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

grizwald wrote:I see there is a Firefox update http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all-beta.html available but how does one install it? The "Check for Updates" is greyed out on my Firefox 3 software. With luck this update might fix the drop outs that are being experienced when using Firefox and Elyssa.

Grizwald.
Ubuntu has to make a package 1st, with any fixes/patches for Ubuntu.

Kynan
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Kynan »

7even wrote:
Kynan wrote:
Kynan wrote: Equalizer for exaile no longer works (pulse audio?).

Sound laggs much more easily and worse when doing things in the background while listening to music. (pulse audio?.)
To quote myself so you know what i'm talking about.. i did some searching and found that it is a problem in hardy and the exact problems i was experiencing were also being experienced by others.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=4928900
This link... Is it resolve your problems with pulse audio?
It fixed my problem with choppy sound when i was doing tasks in the background, but it still hasn't fixed my problem with using exaile's equalizer, i've seen a bug report for this not being pulse audio but gstreamer.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/exaile/+bug/192105 which directed me to https://bugs.launchpad.net/exaile/+bug/193929
and i also found this http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=764641 which tells me that it is indeed a problem with gstreamer.
Normal people believe that if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.

Kynan
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Kynan »

Ok I solved the problem...

I had to install jackeq i also installed jackd and jack-tools but i think its jackeq which instantly made the eq work and the sound sounds much better, so i hope it is included in elyssa final.

Steely
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Steely »

Hi

Great job on the beta. It has been running well and the only thing I have noticed so far is that it can take a long time for Login Window in Control Center to launch the first time. A minor cosmetic issue is that grub shows full screen and the usplash during boot only fills about half the screen and then goes to full screen at the login screen. After installing the nvidia drivers I had to edit xorg.conf to change the virtual setting from 1600 x 1200 back to the proper resolution of my monitor ( 1280 x 1024 ). At 1600 x 1200 the login window is really off center.

Keep up the great work !

Dale

Post by Guest »

The most attractive of the Linux distros!

BUT Audio problems: Rhythmbox, Exaile and Amarok, faint but annoying crackle when playing CD's, Rhythmbox is worst, Amarok is best (passable),

JP84
Level 1
Level 1

Post by JP84 »

Yea, one of the first things I did after I installed this beta was removing PulseAudio. I'm using the SPDIF connection on my soundcard which just would not work with PulseAudio.

Kynan
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Kynan »

PulseAudio seems a big pain in the ass to most people... including me, why did Ubuntu include it? what advantages does it bring? does mint need it?

Return to “Releases & Announcements”