Linux Mint 5 Elyssa - BETA 032 is out!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics.Please do not add support questions to threads here,use the appropriate support forum instead
whatever
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Linux Mint 5 Elyssa - BETA 032 is out!

Post by whatever »

Hi everybody,

Time for me to give some feedback on LM5. I installed it in my "testing environment" (Thinkpad X30, PIII 1.2 GHz, 512mb RAM) and been using for couple of days now. Before that I used Ubuntu 8.04 final for about a week and before that there was OpenSUSE 10.3

I love new updated artwork, it's slick! (; I haven't even change wallpaper cause I like it so much. I have however some problems with performance, sometimes the whole system just kind of like locks up and I cannot really do anything. It goes for about 30 seconds and then gets back to normal. It seems to be totally random and I am yet to find a way to reproduce this behavior. Actually the same thing was happening for me in Hardy... it's just so annoying.

I've been using Firefox 3 beta 5 at work on winXP for about a month now and found it to be very stable and noticeably faster than Firefox 2.0.x but that's just not the case on linux... I checked memory footprint and it's MUCH smaller than FF2 I used on OpenSUSE (50mb vs 150mb with roughly the same usage pattern) but still it feels slower... on some pages when I type something into a text field there's a horrible lag - I type faster than text shows up and that was never the case on previous versions of Firefox. Any idea how it might be?

New MintMenu is also very nice but it feels kinda slow as well. I don't know if it's tied to the first problem I mentioned (whole system lock-ups) or anything else, but there's several seconds delay from when I click on the icon and the menu shows up. Also I don't really like the way menu stays open on top of new windows created after I click on anything in the menu...

One last thing - what happened to "Lock Screen" button in gnome panel applets? I used it Hardy and it isn't in LM5...

Boot time also feels considerably slower than Hardy - progress bar stops for about 5 or 6 seconds during boot time.

I realize that my laptop isn't exactly a performance monster but I switched of all desktop eye candy and disabled some unused services as well (btw. any good guides how to optimize performance?)

Apart from above mentioned issues this is a great release! Keep up the good work (-:

Greetings

Zero Prime
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Zero Prime »

Well, I finally decided to do an install and I'm glad I did. Everything runs great on my machine. I've never seen synaptic package manager run that fast before, wow!! The only thing I would change is the kernal. 2.6.24-17 seems to be faster on a lot of machines than 2.6.24-16. Of course if I could figure out how to activate the proposed updates it wouldn't be a problem.

jiggling_john
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jiggling_john »

I'll repeat myself from the last god knows how many releases....

SPELL CHECK DOESN'T WORK IN OPEN OFFICE!!!

This is a show stopper guys, you can't ship an OS with a pre packaged office suite that doesn't have a working spell checker. It's fundamental, simple as.

The idea of mint is its "ready to go out of the box" and this is a massive omission. For all the good mint does, this is just one of those niggles that could easily be fixed, but really annoys newbies and the like. Digging in apt shouldn't happen for a while, and this would be one of the first things I'd miss! Lets get it fixed

please!

rivenought
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rivenought »

Jiggling John,

You may wish to check or adjust your settings in OpenOffice. My spellcheck works just dandy in both Mint 4 and Mint 5 versions. Good luck.

Zero Prime
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Zero Prime »

I got the 2.6.24-17 kernal installed and now my system flies. I wish I could recommend it for everyone, but I've heard it's not a one size fits all thing. Even though there is less complaining about 2.6.24-17 than 2.6.24-16 from what I've seen.

kelean
Level 2
Level 2

Post by kelean »

kelean wrote:I have attempted to run Elyssa on two different computers. First, a dell opti-plex 110 P-3 866. It would not boot, but this is not the first distro that failed on this computer. Mint 4 ran well in it though. Second machine a AMD 1800+ 384 megs of ram. The live CD ran great, the splash screen was awesome looking. Booted very fast and ran extremely fast for a live CD. I liked it so much that I wiped my hard drive on my dual boot of Dream and Ubuntu. Install went great, but when I reboot I was greeted to the old splash screen, not the cool one from the live CD. Everything looked good. I have a nvidia quatro2 graphics card. The pop up about installing the nvidia drivers, so I did that. I rebooted and was greeted with a 800x600 resolution that I could not change. I tried installing the driver with envy but did not help. So back to hardy until this issue gets resolved. This is a great release. It looks awesome and the mint tools and tweaks are very cool.

Keep up the good work.

Kelean

Update, On my dell listed above. I can start mint 5 in safe mode. It run fairly well from the CD, I am sure it would run quite well if installed.
My question is how do i edit the xorg.conf file. I looked at it and it very short with very little information. I would very much like to install mint5 on all of my computers but first I need to find out how to get the proper resolution. The 800x600 is not even an option (haha).
Any help would be most appreciated, Kelean.

ominousluv
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ominousluv »

jiggling_john wrote:I'll repeat myself from the last god knows how many releases....

SPELL CHECK DOESN'T WORK IN OPEN OFFICE!!!

This is a show stopper guys, you can't ship an OS with a pre packaged office suite that doesn't have a working spell checker. It's fundamental, simple as.

The idea of mint is its "ready to go out of the box" and this is a massive omission. For all the good mint does, this is just one of those niggles that could easily be fixed, but really annoys newbies and the like. Digging in apt shouldn't happen for a while, and this would be one of the first things I'd miss! Lets get it fixed

please!
Works for me. Might be your particular system?

kikinovak
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kikinovak »

Hey there. Comments about 5.0b

I don't know if it's a good idea to ship Thunderbird pre-bundled with the Lightning plugin. Here's two reasons:

1) Some folks prefer Sunbird, following a one-app-per-task tools philosophy. My wife does, for example.

2) The plugin comes localized in english only, but my system is fr-FR. Result: Thunderbird in french, calendar section in english.

I tried to install Sunbird, but failed to localize it. When installing only the Sunbird package, I tried to activate the "Quick locale switcher". French is in the menu, but when I select it, Sunbird remains in english, even after restarting it.

There are some sunbird-locale-** packages in the repos, but they're from a different version (0.7 vs. 0.8) and wreck the Sunbird install.

Please check this: many people use a calendar.

ominousluv
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ominousluv »

kelean wrote: Update, On my dell listed above. I can start mint 5 in safe mode. It run fairly well from the CD, I am sure it would run quite well if installed.
My question is how do i edit the xorg.conf file. I looked at it and it very short with very little information. I would very much like to install mint5 on all of my computers but first I need to find out how to get the proper resolution. The 800x600 is not even an option (haha).
Any help would be most appreciated, Kelean.
I think with 8.04 they are getting away from using xorg.conf. Having said that, I'm not exactly sure what the alternative is. Make sure "screen and graphics is installed"

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install displayconfig-gtk
Then run

gksudo displayconfig-gtk
Make sure the proper driver is selected or even installed. What video card are you using (or onboard video)?

clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Attention all Elyssa BETA 032 users... sources.list are changing, Romeo is no longer a separate repository but is becoming a section. Update your /etc/apt/sources.list:

http://upload.linuxmint.com/elyssa/sources.list

Note: Also upgrade mintsystem to version 1.2 for mintInstall to pick up the changes.

Clem

mmesantos1
Level 8
Level 8

Post by mmesantos1 »

What command do you type in the terminal to edit sources.list, I do not remember. Please help.

Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

mmesantos1 wrote:What command do you type in the terminal to edit sources.list, I do not remember. Please help.

sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4

Zero Prime
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Zero Prime »

I hope I didn't do this wrong, but I just replaced my source list with the one I down loaded from the link that Clem provided. Is this right? I don't have a section called Romeo, but I do get several sections called developmental.

mmesantos1
Level 8
Level 8

Post by mmesantos1 »

Thank you Zwopper! :)

Zero Prime
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Zero Prime »

Well, I finally found a bug. FF3 crashes on me while on youtube. This doesn't happen for me on Ubuntu 8.04 or Ultimate Edition 1.8.

halw

Post by halw »

Works for me in Youtube.

Kynan
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Kynan »

Yea works for me also.
Normal people believe that if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.

oliverjames
Level 4
Level 4

Post by oliverjames »

While waiting patiently for the final Elyssa release (based on past experience this will be yet another step forward) I'd just like to congratulate and say thank you to all who have worked to produce Mint Linux. Daryna is so good that it puts Win XP in the shade.

Oliverjames

Wraeththu
Level 1
Level 1

FF3 and anotther Bug discovered (3d graphics)

Post by Wraeththu »

FF3 also crashes on my system after beginnig to play flash movies (like in youtube), but not all the time.
Another bug iI discovered has to do with 3d graphics (games):

My system: Monitor resoution: 1680 x 1050
Geforce 7800 GS+ (7950 Chipset)
Nvidia driver

if you start a game, choose fullscreen AND the same resolution as the desktop has, it loooses focus, you cant move the mouse in the game and the menu bar is still visible at the bottom. Sometimes you can still move the mouse in the menu bar, sometimes it wont work at all. In some cases the menu bar continuously flickers (appears and dissapears again)
When I choose another resoution, like 1440 x 900, everything works fine and as desired.

Games tested:
Sauerbraten
Tuxracer
Nexuiz

Workaround for now: I choose the lower 1440x900 screen resolution in Games.

asdfsafdasdf

Post by asdfsafdasdf »

Is there somebody who has tried to dist-upgrade from daryna to elyssa after having sources.list replaced with
http://upload.linuxmint.com/elyssa/sources.list
??

Return to “Releases & Announcements”