Linux Mint 5 Elyssa - BETA 032 is out!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics.Please do not add support questions to threads here,use the appropriate support forum instead
newW2
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Linux Mint 5 Elyssa - BETA 032 is out!

Postby newW2 » Sat May 24, 2008 10:01 pm

Yes RC1 is better than the beta in Mint 5. However, did you try what Clem suggested here?

67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Postby 67GTA » Sat May 24, 2008 11:56 pm

PhoenixPenguin wrote:I just converted my desktop to Mint 5 from XP.
now i am noticing Firefox3 crashing almost once a day without even a warning.
i don't remember Firefox3 beta crashing on me when i had it on my XP, and i am using Firefox3 RC1 on my Vista laptop and it doesn't crash.
does anyone know what the problem could be?

When I'm viewing anything that has to do with flash, it crashes like crazy. It is a lot worse than the beta. Every third or fourth video on youtube will crash it. It will eventually get ironed out. Mint 5 and Firefox 3 are still under development :D
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke

Monkwarrior
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Monkwarrior » Sun May 25, 2008 2:25 am

Yep, FF3 seems very unstable in this beta.

Monk.

Lantesh
Level 6
Level 6

Postby Lantesh » Sun May 25, 2008 2:51 am

Clem,

I was talking about this recently with some of the other guys, and I wanted to make sure I it was listed here in the Beta thread along with a picture. Daryna/Gutsy had a menu entry that brought up this Display Settings GUI, which is great for making changes. Unfortunately it is now missing in Elyssa/Hardy. The actual functionality is still there if you type "gksudo displayconfig-gtk" in the CLI, but the menu entry was really nice to have. I added it back in myself, but it would be nice if it was included in the Elyssa final release.

Kynan
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Kynan » Sun May 25, 2008 8:46 am

I noticed the new Screen Resolution program and it looked quite nice and it had some interesting features mainly that you get set your screen upside down, to the left or the right, so being inquisitive i tried setting it upside down and while it worked my screen was upside down however everything froze up, i could not click go back to previous or keep these settings or anything so i had to ctrl + alt + backspace and relog in. I have a feeling that this would be a hardy bug but i thought i'd share my experience.
Normal people believe that if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.

AshtonBRSC
Level 1
Level 1

Postby AshtonBRSC » Sun May 25, 2008 11:29 am

Another vote for gnome-bluetooth to be included. Bluetooth works out of the box with Hardy but not with Elyssa.

7even
Level 1
Level 1

Postby 7even » Sun May 25, 2008 1:36 pm

Russian localization didn't install though today's upgrade FF 3 RC1. Flash-plugin also didn't work. I got installed it manually

jasonwatkins
Level 1
Level 1

Postby jasonwatkins » Sun May 25, 2008 3:42 pm

7even wrote: I got installed it manually

how did you manage that because I've been trying to re-install it and do it manually with no luck.

cheers

clem
Level 15
Level 15

Postby clem » Sun May 25, 2008 4:24 pm

displayconfig-gtk is not stable and doesn't work as well as the Gnome "Screen Resolution" tool. On some of my systems it freezes up the OS..

Bluetooth was included in Mint in BETA 034 so it will be there in the next public release... speaking of which BETA 048 is currently uploading. If Exploder is happy with it we'll release it as soon as possible.

Also, mintAssistant 2.4 is now in the repositories and fixes the "user locked" problem with "sudo su". Just upgrade it and run it.

Clem.

hotweiss
Level 4
Level 4

Postby hotweiss » Sun May 25, 2008 4:55 pm

jasonwatkins wrote:
7even wrote: I got installed it manually

how did you manage that because I've been trying to re-install it and do it manually with no luck.

cheers

I uninstalled via terminal, installed it via terminal and then installed via Firefox. Mind you, Youtube now crashes Firefox after watching a few videos for some reason.

hotweiss
Level 4
Level 4

Postby hotweiss » Sun May 25, 2008 4:58 pm

BTW, just to give you an idea of how popular Mint has become, I downloaded the Beta with 65,000 peers on BitTorrent.

Monkwarrior
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Monkwarrior » Sun May 25, 2008 5:02 pm

hotweiss wrote:Mind you, Youtube now crashes Firefox after watching a few videos for some reason.

For me too.

Monk.

ominousluv
Level 1
Level 1

Postby ominousluv » Sun May 25, 2008 6:01 pm

clem wrote:displayconfig-gtk is not stable and doesn't work as well as the Gnome "Screen Resolution" tool. On some of my systems it freezes up the OS..

Clem.

But with "Screen Resolution", you can't change your display driver. Is there a way to change graphics driver another way, without adding driver information to xorg.conf?

tuxStyle@

Postby tuxStyle@ » Sun May 25, 2008 6:10 pm

I hope drivers for Broadcom chipset bcm43xx will be in latest beta or stable version.
Is a nightmare to make wireless working on my Dell Vostro 1500.

And somebody else asked why i don't want to make a clean install.
Because i have a Dell Vostro :) and lot of things are not working by default:

- Sound problems
- CPU fans
- Wireless
- Compiz
- Bightness keys
- more (i had small issues with: hal and webcam too)

After every reinstall i need a few days to make everything work again :?

I don't remember

donec
Level 4
Level 4

Postby donec » Sun May 25, 2008 6:14 pm

ominousluv wrote:
clem wrote:displayconfig-gtk is not stable and doesn't work as well as the Gnome "Screen Resolution" tool. On some of my systems it freezes up the OS..

Clem.

But with "Screen Resolution", you can't change your display driver. Is there a way to change graphics driver another way, without adding driver information to xorg.conf?

You can use EnvyNG to change the graphics driver. It is located in the menu under Administration.
Don
http://bestwebstop.webcentr.net
Links and accurate information provide the best answer, while garbage in provides garbage out.ImageRegistered Linux user # 449322
Moved up to LM17 KDE

thomase
Level 1
Level 1

Postby thomase » Sun May 25, 2008 10:36 pm

Monkwarrior wrote:
hotweiss wrote:Mind you, Youtube now crashes Firefox after watching a few videos for some reason.

For me too.

Monk.

And me. Problem maybe flash player, reloaded Flash Player 9, now seems to be ok. other issues with viewing pictures though I am still investigating.

Lantesh
Level 6
Level 6

Postby Lantesh » Mon May 26, 2008 1:31 am

clem wrote:displayconfig-gtk is not stable and doesn't work as well as the Gnome "Screen Resolution" tool. On some of my systems it freezes up the OS.

Clem is this the "Gnome Screen Resolution Tool" you are referencing, or is there yet another tool that I am not seeing? This GUI lacks many of the features of "displayconfig-gtk", such as having a list of monitors to choose from. Unfortunately for me the "Detect Displays" button was non-functional on my system. I had to use "displayconfig-gtk" to get things right. While I would vote to have both in the menu, you are certainly the boss. I am hoping that although you are removing it from the menu that it will still be available in the final release via the CLI.

Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Postby Zwopper » Mon May 26, 2008 2:17 am

...downloading Beta 048... 8) 8) 8)
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Toshiba Portégé R930 | i7 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Ubuntu 15.04

Calvin
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Calvin » Mon May 26, 2008 2:23 am

Thanks for letting us know Zwopper, downloading it now too. I still have an extensive bug log for 032 to post that i've been writing for the past hour or three so i'll post it as i download it. :D

Calvin
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Calvin » Mon May 26, 2008 2:47 am

Sorry it took so long to post up these bugs i've been having in Elyssa 032, I've been busy today. If you need more details ask, I'm keeping this beta until the next ones comes out.

Specs:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+
nVidia Geforce 6150SE
400GB HDD
2GB RAM
20-inch wide screen LCD monitor (HP w2007)

Here are some general problem that affect both Daryna and Elyssa:

Scroll bars: When i try to move my mouse to the very edge of the screen and scroll it doesn't work, no matter if i change the theme i can't move it like i used to in Vista. If this is just Linux then it's fine but i just wanted to let you guys know that it happened.

Daemon dying: Daemon(Theme manager i think) doesn't work when i boot into the LiveCD or install until i get my nVidia drivers enabled using either Envy(NG) or the restricted drivers manager. Note: If i boot into safe mode i can still see the default theme but not use Compiz.

After Elyssa 032 installation:
After i booted into it i noted the loading screen is smaller than it should, i read deadguy's post and applied it but it didn't fix anything. Here are many quirks:

Audio volume is low, i have to set it on 85-100% to get what i used to get when i had it at 30% in windows and 60% in Daryna. I have RealTek HD Audio card though(does it make a difference?)

Compiz forgets it's settings after a while: I have compiz set to Extra(i love my compiz) but after a couple of hours it forgets and sets it to Normal.

Wobbly Windows don't stick: No more edge resistance?! Blasphemy!!!

Buttons changed for 3d windows cycling(may just be upgrade change) now it's Super+Alt+Tab when it used to be Super+Tab.

Drives don't automount anymore: I have all my stuff loaded onto a separate partition including my wallpaper and it's a pain to have to manually mount it every time i boot.

Openoffice.org Writer windows border decided to disappear when not in full screen mode. May have been Compiz related as it didn't happen after than one time.

About Me doesn't work, i get an error saying Evolution data center can't handle the protocol.

After update i got the flash problem, used the fix it worked fine.

Firefox RC1 likes to crash a lot i must note, my minty theme got reverted back to the default tango for Ubuntu after some time for some reason.

The fonts look pretty jaggy, fixed when set to Best shapes.

Inquiries:

I would like to know how i can summon Do via keyboard (it is running in the background, might as well use it).

Why is Hardware Information in Preferences?

Return to “Releases & Announcements”