Linux Mint 5 Elyssa RC2 (BETA 048) is out!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Linux Mint 5 Elyssa RC2 (BETA 048) is out!

Post by merlwiz79 »

Knight 319 wrote:Burned a fresh copy of Beta 048 to a CD. Booted up, tried out some of the different themes, and notice this while using some of the darker themes. Start menu is bright, and the text is hard to read unless you hover the mouse over one of the buttons.

Note: This is while being in the Live CD.

Right click on the menu and Select Preferences.
Under Colors tab UnCheck use custom colors.
Reload the theme if needed.
Last edited by merlwiz79 on Mon May 26, 2008 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

merlwiz79, the quote from me did not show in your post. I said that the problem is gone in the installed system. I did not notice the problem in the second beta from the Live CD either.
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

Speed Demon wrote:
AlabamaHit wrote:
Speed Demon wrote:Can someone PLEASE tell me this: can u upgrade from 032 to 048 then 048 to final? Or 032 to final? Please help me. I will have wasted a cd otherwise. And it was a green lightscribe disk too :(
JESUS man READ the TOPIC

NOoooooooooooooooooooo

DONTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

is this eaiser for you to notice? Since you dont like to read obviously...

SPEED DEMON <<--------------------

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I say it like this cuase it has been asked 4 times i know of and ANSWERED yes ANSWERED ALL TIMES ASKED......

OK god no need to yell, i only saw it ASKED 4 times then most people said "Not reccomended, only go stable to stable" All i wanted to know is if i could go 032-048-Final sorry if i need to read between the lines. Please dont yell at people even if you are trying to make a point, I'm pretty sure that does not fit the "Forum Courtesy" guidelines of just about every site in the world. :(
These are for testing for bugs.
The best way to do this is fresh install each beta release.
Updating from a beta to a newer beta could cause problems that the Release doesn't have.
This would slow the release down by trying to find bugs that aren't really their.
mmesantos1

Post by mmesantos1 »

Thank you Zero Prime!
Now working like a charm. Once again Linux Mint forum is the best, always someone willing to help. :D
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 67GTA »

The only bug left on my system is with flash crashing Firefox. That means there really not any bugs left because this has nothing to do with Mint :D Perfect!
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

hotweiss wrote:I have another bug to report. After watching a couple of Youtube videos, Firefox will crash.
I'm not sure this is a problem with flash.
I have flash 10 beta on Daryna with Firefox nightly and it works fine until I go to youtube.
I could watch videos on many other sites without it crashing.
It seems to only crash for me on youtube.
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 67GTA »

merlwiz79 wrote:
hotweiss wrote:I have another bug to report. After watching a couple of Youtube videos, Firefox will crash.
I'm not sure this is a problem with flash.
I have flash 10 beta on Daryna with Firefox nightly and it works fine until I go to youtube.
I could watch videos on many other sites without it crashing.
It seems to only crash for me on youtube.
Same here. Only youtube crashes so far. After about the third or fourth video, FF just closes.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
hotweiss

Post by hotweiss »

mosaias wrote:Well, almost everything seems fine to me. But almost, because:

- It still doesn't automount my NTFS partitions in boot. Oh boy.
- I can't open my USB pendrives. It says "Invalid mount option when attempting to mount the volume 'nameofvolume'." Anyone with the same problem?

I will continue looking for bugs. So far, besides that two problems, everything very smooth...

Bye!
Boot those NTFS partitions in Windows twice, and then they should be working in Linux.
Steely

Post by Steely »

Still on Beta 032 here and will wait a few days to see what kind of issues there are with 048. There is something that is of concern for me that I experienced with Ubuntu Hardy Heron and Mint Beta 032 and hopefully it will be gone in 048. When I installed 5 to 10 + packages ( not updates ) my cpu would spike to 99 % during their install and would stay at 99 % even after the install finished. If I rebooted the cpu was at normal levels again. One program that did give me problems on all versions was gthumb. It would freeze on the install and cpu spiked to 99 % and had to restart and run dpkg --configure -a. It was common to get xml parser errors when that was run. This is almost an ancient computer ( amd athlon xp 1600 / 512 meg ram ) but it took over 15 minutes to finish running --configure -a for gthumb. It would be helpful if a few of the testers monitored their cpu % during package installs and after installed. It was only during installs that I encountered the spikes and never had any when using the system.

I am really looking forward to the final release of Mint 5. Beta 032 was more stable than any other os beta I have ever installed and 048 appears to have resolved many of the issues with 032 ( I only experienced the cpu spiking ). I will make sure to post any issues I encounter with 048.

Keep up the fantastic work !!!

Dale
darco
Level 4
Level 4

Post by darco »

mmesantos1 wrote:Installed Beta 048. Lots of things that were issues from Beta 032 are fixed but still not able to get emerald to work. I can install emerald and open the program but after picking a theme and restarting unable to have theme work. The window decoration does not change to the emerald selected theme. If any is having same issue and knows of a fix please let me know. Thank you in advance for your help.
I just installed Beta 048 on my backup. Reloaded everything that I had w/032. Emerald works fine. Dont forget to add "emerald --replace" in CCSM under Window decorations.
So far no probs in 048. Will tweak some more tho :D

darco
vinoman
Level 5
Level 5

Post by vinoman »

I've been running beta 048 for an hour, tried videos on four different sites, and all worked.... except the video crashed on the New York Times site, (Mexican Crimes at the Border). I restarted Firefox and restored the session. I was up and running again.

...wow, I'm typing this thread while watching a music dvd (Pearl Jam)on second combo drive and running this live CD! that's impressive :)
Last edited by vinoman on Mon May 26, 2008 10:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mmesantos1

Post by mmesantos1 »

I have another issue with Linux Mint 5.0 Beta. This issue has been noticed with Beta 032 and 048 and also with Ubuntu 8.04. With Linux Mint 4.0 I was able to add a shared printer that is connected to my Vista Dell laptop via USB. I was able to add the printer via Samba with Linux Mint 4.0. Now when I go to add the printer in LM Beta it dose not show up when I click the Brows button. I can see the Windows workgroup but the printer does not show up. My printer is a HP Deskjet D2300 series printer.
deadguy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by deadguy »

cool!!! the new beta :D

just downloaded.

will install tomorrow :mrgreen:

cheers,

Deadguy
hotweiss

Post by hotweiss »

Here's another bug: apt is not linked in Firefox. I just tried installing wine by clicking on the link on their web page, but got an error stating that apt was not associated.
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 67GTA »

Found a Mintdesktop bug. Used Mintdesktop to turn on Gnome Compositing. When I used Mintdesktop to turn it back off, the whole system froze(probably nautilus). This required a hard shutdown and restart. I got an error message after rebooting that nautilus couldn't be used, even though it worked fine. This happened on two separate PC's.
hotweiss

Post by hotweiss »

67GTA wrote:Found a Mintdesktop bug. Used Mintdesktop to turn on Gnome Compositing. When I used Mintdesktop to turn it back off, the whole system froze(probably nautilus). This required a hard shutdown and restart. I got an error message after rebooting that nautilus couldn't be used, even though it worked fine. This happened on two separate PC's.
I can confirm this bug.

PS-what is Gnome Composting?
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 67GTA »

Gnome now has it's own composite manager. It is basically Gnome's version of a weak knock off of Compiz without any options :D
waldo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by waldo »

Does the .iso fit on a CD? I notice the size is over 700.
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

waldo wrote:Does the .iso fit on a CD? I notice the size is over 700.
690MBs is not over 700MBs :?
derek

Post by derek »

I've got a strange problem with the gnome taskbar. I removed the Network Manager icon, and lost the mintUpdate icon at the same time. I can't seem to get it back, although it's certainly possible that I'm not looking in the right place (i assume it should run when run out of the menu or one of the python scripts in /usr/lib/linuxmint/mintUpdate), and after i installed wicd, it's tray icon won't load either. The processes are running, but the icons won't display.

Oddly enough, beta 048 seems to be using signifigantly less memory than 032 was (32 wasn't bad, by any means.) I don't know if this is related to python tray icons not loading correctly or not, but...yeah.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”