LMDE 201303 released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

LMDE 201303 released!

Post by clem »

JWJones

Re: LMDE 201303 released!

Post by JWJones »

Woohoo! Congratulations to another awesome release!

If we are using RC1, is there any advantage in reinstalling, or should we just do a dist-upgrade, or just an update?

Thanks!
~FLOW~
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ~FLOW~ »

Hi, I'm very new to Linux Mint (came from Ubuntu) and i like it A LOT !
I have installed Linux Mint 14 - Cinnamon
just one question, newbie
What is the difference between "Linux Mint 14" and "Linux Mint Debian"....
Thank you
Linux Mint 21.1
Cinnamon

Be patient !!
What seams easy for you now, for a newbie might be a monumental helping hand.
An efficient pack will move as fast as the slowest member.
JWJones

Post by JWJones »

~FLOW~ wrote:Hi, I'm very new to Linux Mint (came from Ubuntu) and i like it A LOT !
I have installed Linux Mint 14 - Cinnamon
just one question, newbie
What is the difference between "Linux Mint 14" and "Linux Mint Debian"....
Thank you
Linux Mint 14 is based on Ubuntu, Linux Mint Debian is based on Debian:

FAQ
1. Is LMDE compatible with Ubuntu-based Linux Mint editions?
No, it is not. LMDE is compatible with Debian, which isn’t compatible with Ubuntu.

2. Is LMDE fully compatible with Debian?
Yes, 100%. LMDE is compatible with repositories designed for Debian Testing.

3. What is a semi-rolling distribution?
Updates are constantly fed to Debian Testing, where users experience frequent regressions but also frequent bug fixes and improvements. LMDE receives “Update Packs” which are tested snapshots of Debian Testing. Users can experience a more stable system thanks to update packs, or switch their sources to follow Testing, or even Unstable, directly to get more frequent updates.

4. How does LMDE compare to the Ubuntu-based editions?

Pros:
You don’t need to ever re-install the system. New versions of software and updates are continuously brought to you.
It’s faster and more responsive than Ubuntu-based editions.

Cons:
LMDE requires a deeper knowledge and experience with Linux, dpkg and APT.
Debian is a less user-friendly/desktop-ready base than Ubuntu. Expect some rough edges.
No EFI, GPT or secureBoot support.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

JWJones wrote:Woohoo! Congratulations to another awesome release!

If we are using RC1, is there any advantage in reinstalling, or should we just do a dist-upgrade, or just an update?

Thanks!
just apply all the updates available in mintupdate (if any) and you are in the final.
JWJones

Post by JWJones »

zerozero wrote:just apply all the updates available in mintupdate (if any) and you are in the final.
OK, thanks!
The Dark Side

Post by The Dark Side »

Again, My most Sincere Congratulations to the Linux Mint Team. I downloaded both versions (Mate and Cinnamon) to test them again pun have done an excellent job. Although personally, I prefer Ubuntu based versions than those based upon Debian, we must not fail to recognize that they have done a great job …… Congratulations !!!!

That if I have to say, that I still find very bad they have left the Official version of Linux Mint Debian Edition XFCE ….. I still keep asking, if some day, will be released the official version of Linux Mint Debian Edition KDE …. Anyway, once again, I say Congratulations Linux Mint Team !!!!
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

Great job and thanks Clem!
For those wanting Xfce, I miss it as well, but Xfce 4.8 from the repository will play well with MATE if you want to add it.
lKingjr

Post by lKingjr »

Apparently the Cinnamon version doesn't like VirtualBox 4.2.10 very much. Installed it as a guest on a Mac host and it consistently aborts if 3D is enabled. Which is unfortunate because it's a bit slow without it.
Last edited by lKingjr on Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
ashtonford
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ashtonford »

zerozero wrote:

Thanks!
just apply all the updates available in mintupdate (if any) and you are in the final.

installed lmde yesterday very nice as usual release form Mint. One question I have been having a prob installing chrome browser it dident want to sync after it was installed. Its not really a requirement for me just sorta keep it as a back up browser. Firefox works awsome .
revelationman
Level 1
Level 1

Post by revelationman »

i prob give you some of you a good chuckle I installed this by accident, I burnt the ISO thinking it was the regular Linux Mint but, it installed quite nicely I might add, I had a old AMD 3200 64 bit processor with a 1 gig of memory and 80 gig Sata drive so I said hey why not make it a Linux Box

So what is this Debian Hybrid, I do understand it is a Debian testing, but is this Debian ?
Now there is a learning curve , but I am glad they are going away from Ubuntu ,I honestly got turned off from the latest releases of Ubuntu so this accident of install has turned out to be running very smoothly

I am trying to gather more information on LMDE , I do know it is on a ongoing update channel or something like that, so I take it this will eventually not be a testing but what a full fledged Linux Mint Debian

I will like to learn more on configuration there is just the one theme Cinnamon and Libre Office needs to updated, what about the Kernel ?

But it is running very smoothly what an accident to make :)
M_aD
Level 4
Level 4

Post by M_aD »

revelationman wrote:i prob give you some of you a good chuckle I installed this by accident, I burnt the ISO thinking it was the regular Linux Mint but, it installed quite nicely I might add, I had a old AMD 3200 64 bit processor with a 1 gig of memory and 80 gig Sata drive so I said hey why not make it a Linux Box

So what is this Debian Hybrid, I do understand it is a Debian testing, but is this Debian ?
Now there is a learning curve , but I am glad they are going away from Ubuntu ,I honestly got turned off from the latest releases of Ubuntu so this accident of install has turned out to be running very smoothly

I am trying to gather more information on LMDE , I do know it is on a ongoing update channel or something like that, so I take it this will eventually not be a testing but what a full fledged Linux Mint Debian

I will like to learn more on configuration there is just the one theme Cinnamon and Libre Office needs to updated, what about the Kernel ?

But it is running very smoothly what an accident to make :)
There is no ongoing update channel from my point of view.
LMDE is Linux Mint that uses Debian as a base and it is not a so called real, true, full rolling release but rather a semi- or better... cyclic-rolling release that works with Update Packs (UP's) that are thoroughly tested first. These update packs are released once in a few months. Since Debian Wheezy is in Freeze since a while you don't have to expect any new UP's yet.

Mint isn't going away from Ubuntu at all, i don't know what made you think that they are... :)

Here's some info about LMDE if you haven't already found and read it:

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=197&t=91405

Also Cinnamon has more themes and they can be downloaded with the Software Manager or Synaptic. Just search for cinnamon-themes and install that package.
If you want to keep it stable just keep following the Update Packs that will be released in the future, these UP's will provide you with (for Debian) newer software like Libre Office, a Kernel etc. etc.
ashtonford
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ashtonford »

going away from ubuntu wouldent be a bad idea lmde has really been smooth for me.
3fRI

Post by 3fRI »

ashtonford wrote:
zerozero wrote:

Thanks!

installed lmde yesterday very nice as usual release form Mint. One question I have been having a prob installing chrome browser it dident want to sync after it was installed. Its not really a requirement for me just sorta keep it as a back up browser. Firefox works awsome .
I had the same problem with Chrome/Chromium when I ran LMDE RC recently. Other than that, LMDE seemed faster than LM 14 with Chromium and generally OK, but ultimately it wasn't what I wanted. That said, having used Linux Mint since 9 (Isadora) and having tried every "flavor" it has offered, I think it is the best Ubuntu-based distro out there and a great alternative to Ubuntu itself. :D
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

3fRI wrote: I think it is the best Ubuntu-based distro out there
just happens that is not ubuntu-based :D
lKingjr

Post by lKingjr »

zerozero wrote:
details, details :D I don't know why so many people have such a problem getting the two different bases of Mint straight. :roll:
3fRI

Post by 3fRI »

lKingjr wrote:
zerozero wrote:
details, details :D I don't know why so many people have such a problem getting the two different bases of Mint straight. :roll:
My bad, I should have been more clear in distinguishing between LMDE and the rest of Mint, which IS Ubuntu-based. :roll:
Trapper
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Trapper »

A word of caution regarding HP printer setup during 201303 installation from scratch. The hpijs driver is being chosen with some printer hardware that actually requires the hpcups driver for proper operation. You may have to manually change drivers. Interestingly, the 201204 installer made the correct selections for me with my C4680, as has LM13 & 14. That's not the case with 201303.
jamsterthecool

Post by jamsterthecool »

Hi,

I'm probably being a total noob here.I'm a little confused about this update announcement .I downloaded and installed LMDE approx 2 weeks ago and all is working fine .

Now I've just read this post about the update posted on March 22nd, 2013.So I thought maybe my system should be due a update.Though it hasn't updated anything since installation, which I put down to the main debian distro freeze thingy me bob . Anyway, just to clarify that my system is updating as it should I checked the 'update pack info' on the update manager . The last entry is for 'update pack 6' ,but the date below it is 2012.12.19 .Whilst the date on this release which included the update pack 6 is 22nd march 2013.

It does say the latest update pack used by the system was 6 . SO even though I installed LMDE before this update was announced I guess I still have the latest update pack installed .
revelationman
Level 1
Level 1

Post by revelationman »

I have to be honest I was a loyal Ubuntu user till unity came out, and I just said it is over, I just did not like though I tried to get use to it, as I mentioned , I though I was burning the regular Linux Mint till this was installed, and said hang this is Debian,

It is a very solid system , but from the last post this OS sounds like a Debian tester only and nothing more , what I would hope that this becomes a non testing system. and Linux Mint moves towards a solid Debian system .

Ubuntu has in my opinion dropped the ball, with Unity, Ubuntu Unity ran like a dog on this 8 year AMD 3200 with 1 gig , but it seems it has a new life with Linux Mint Debian

So the hope for me and I am sure others, LMDE becomes the new platform, for Mint, because I do not want to install another system I prefer to stick to this system to be honest

It is great

Return to “Releases & Announcements”