Linux Mint 5 Elyssa officially released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
kanishka
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Linux Mint 5 Elyssa officially released!

Post by kanishka »

I'm impressed by Elyssa's snappiness... It's faster than my Kubuntu-64bit installation, more like the Debian-based Sidux! :shock:
psykid

Post by psykid »

Wonderful Job. Great Distro. If it wouldn`t be carlsberg probably the best beer in the word , i bet Mint would kick ass also. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
ksousa
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ksousa »

Since I've made the fresh install of LM5 everything works very smooth and with any kind of problem ... Except the LM Forum where i can't read what the people write there. I need made copy/paste .... :( ... why?? ... anybody has the same problem???
AK Dave

Post by AK Dave »

ksousa wrote:Since I've made the fresh install of LM5 everything works very smooth and with any kind of problem ... Except the LM Forum where i can't read what the people write there. I need made copy/paste .... :( ... why?? ... anybody has the same problem???
Problem with fonts and colors perhaps? Maybe something to do with your selected Theme?
Dupo

Post by Dupo »

Why Elyssa livecd is so slow on an old computer with 256mb ram ?

I had never this problem with Daryna. Daryna worked very well.
With Elyssa, the installation takes too much time to start, and I do not see the end. With Daryna, I never had this problem.

Can you explain me ?

Thanks.
AK Dave

Post by AK Dave »

Try Elyssa Lite perhaps?

My thoughts: Elyssa may have a heavier hardware requirement, albiet slightly, heavier libraries, or perhaps the CD is better packaged with more dense archiving which takes more time to unpackage. You do know that the CD's iso is heavily compressed, taking a 2.5-3gig install and cramming into <700meg of CD.
tawan

Post by tawan »

AK Dave wrote:Try Elyssa Lite perhaps?
Lite is not light/lite in weight - - it just doesn't have codecs and some stuff ;)

maybe the name is at fault, it is not a lite edition in the sense of performance needs, it just has less of the good stuff.
AK Dave

Post by AK Dave »

It is also a smaller install, having lost those codecs (etc).
melbo

Post by melbo »

Awesome! I see what they were saying about 'snappy'... It just rocks on my 5 yr old Acer laptop. Not a single problem so far and I did find one really cool bonus to my system! My Synaptics Touchpad now has one finger scroll if I run my finger along the far right side of the pad! A lot like my XP system at work (HP).

I'm very happy with this release and a big congrats to Clem and the whole Mint gang!
I still need to back up my important stuff in /home partition and do a clean install to get rid of all that junk I don't use anymore.

Thanks again!!

Oh, should I run the "mark all upgrades" in synaptic to pull the 2.6.24-18 kernel?

edit: I just noticed some ubuntu icons in my menu? Is this because I didn't fresh install my /home and just fresh installed the filesystem?
Zero Prime

Post by Zero Prime »

I just installed yesterday. I have to say that this is a great release. It runs even better, for me, after updating to the latest kernel.
kanishka
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kanishka »

I was a bit scared to update my perfect-working Elyssa with the gnome-xxx updates (level 3), fearing to be no longer able to change the wallpaper (horror!) or worse.
In the end I did it, and... everything is smooth as before. :D

Elyssa is a real pleasure. It seems to be twice as fast as Daryna. Outstanding work!!! 8) 8)
Lolo Uila
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lolo Uila »

Yea, the latest round of L3 updates seems to have fixed the wallpaper issue, but Firefox seems to be partially broken now. :(

One of the Forums I frequent (http://boardsus.playstation.com) has the option of HTML or Graphic (WYSIWYG) editors. After the latest L3 updates I can't use the Graphical editor any longer. Or the spell check for that matter (although realtime spell checking is still working). When I click on the buttons nothing happens. :(

Still working in my Celena install.
tawan

Post by tawan »

elbeto wrote:I have the known issues with the background and the updates. I had issues with Flash in Firefox.
elbeto
to avoid that we disabled level 3 updates, it shouds like you may have received a level 3 update
elbeto wrote:Also I was dissapointed to see a new release already after the new iso came on Friday.
elbeto
nothing to be dissappointed over, it fixes isses for new users, anyone with an "old" iso can do a simple fix :)
elbeto wrote:Question, can I port the new Mintmenu to Daryna?
elbeto
i heard someone say you could, but not sure how official that was

good luck, i hope you get sorted :)
mmesantos1

Post by mmesantos1 »

Hi All,
I finally had a chance to install the final release of Linux Mint 5.0. I have just moved to a new home and had to use a wireless USB adapter for my internet connection during the install and it worked during the live CD session and after the install. I must say I was not able to get that to work on the previous version of Linux Mint 4.0. I am very happy with the way this version of Linux mint runs out of box and after or Post install. :D

I would like to thank all who were involved in making this version of Linux Mint what it is!
Last edited by mmesantos1 on Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lolo Uila
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lolo Uila »

Hmm... okay, the Firefox problem I mentioned earlier seems to have gone away on its own. I even tried installing the L4 updates and still had the problem (but no others so far, so it looks like L4 didn't break anything). Then this evening I returned to the PSU forums to reply to some threads, and all of the sudden the Graphical editor & manual spell check were working again. :?

It seemed to start after I did the latest round of L3 updates, but now I am thinking it was just a coincidence... I have noticed a few changes at the PSU forums, so now I suspect they were updating the forum software and it was a temporary glitch. Odd that it didn't affect Firefox in Celena?

So... I guess we can disregard that Firefox issue I posted above, since it appears it really wasn't a problem. :oops:

And even with the Elyssa Backports, and Ubuntu Backports & Proposed repos enabled, and L3 & L4 updates applied it is still running great. 8)
jaeming

Post by jaeming »

Man I wish I could d/l this. Been trying for days but even with the closest mirror it's painful! Yes, bandwidth in NZ is not good. Can't wait to give it a go though.
boysha
Level 3
Level 3

Post by boysha »

Hi,

Just to tell you that I made a great system and I am installing Mint 5 exclusively to this machine.
It will be a great "no Windows" system.
Thanks to all the guys that made it possible. Great job!

All the best!

Neb
yamawho
Level 3
Level 3

Post by yamawho »

I noticed that the memtest version on the cd is still v1.7 ...

Any reason why it hasn't been upgraded to v2.01 ?
darco
Level 4
Level 4

Post by darco »

Lim-Dul wrote:
I thought nvidia was good for linux...
NVIDIA isn't even good for/to Windows. E.g. its drivers crash on Vista all the time and it's not the OS'es fault... I have a GeForce 8800GTX and the recent drivers crash and recover when I'm watching movies... I guess there's another corporation to add to the "hate list" if you're into such things. ;-)
Wow, I have never had a problem w/Nvidia drivers and my Vista Ultimate x64. I still have Windows on a dual boot only because when I get the urge to play a game, its waiting for me :)
Oh and I normally d/l modified drivers for my 8800GT and they are amazing!...I still cant get over the awesome graphics in Bioshock!

darco
darco
Level 4
Level 4

Post by darco »

Yesterday I was in line at Frys' buying a PS for my daughters pc and I noticed the man next to me had a "Linux for Dummies" book. He must have been in his 80''s :shock: (never to old to learn). I asked him if he was a Linux fan and he mention his grandson installed Linux on his pc. He didnt know what distro though. I told him to get Linux Mint and told him all the benefits about it and then the 2 cash register clerks over head me and they started asking about it!!!...
Spreading the word my friends!!

darco

Return to “Releases & Announcements”