Page 4 of 6

Re: Linux Mint 16 "Petra" Cinnamon RC released!

Posted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:31 pm
by RacerBG
They are approved for stable! YEAH! 8) It will be time for testing...

Re: Linux Mint 16 "Petra" Cinnamon RC released!

Posted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:33 pm
by Incentive I.C
This is so awsome! I know it is recommended to do a clean install but anybody going to update via APT?

Re: Linux Mint 16 "Petra" Cinnamon RC released!

Posted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:17 pm
by Don_Pedro
going to update via APT?
Interlinking between all packages may be broke with an update via APT.
You may lost hours to try to recover + it would me very long to update instead to use a torrent = lost energy and waste your time for sure.

Re: Linux Mint 16 "Petra" Cinnamon RC released!

Posted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:21 pm
by Don_Pedro
diesel79 have in mind it takes more than 12 hours. I would say 24 , fo uploading mirror sites.

Re: Linux Mint 16 "Petra" Cinnamon RC released!

Posted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:24 pm
by diesel79
Don_Pedro wrote:diesel79 have in mind it takes more than 12 hours. I would say 24 , fo uploading mirror sites.
Thanks. I'm happy playing with Arch for now :) Looking forward to the new Mint though.

Re: Linux Mint 16 "Petra" Cinnamon RC released!

Posted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:56 pm
by tonyarnold99
Installed Mint 16 RC, but no sign of my wireless card. Card is an RT2561/RT61. Kernel in MINT 16 seems to be 3.11.x.

Wireless card was there on the version booted from a USB key.

Booted Mint 15 with same kernel (3.11) and still no wireless card.

Mint 15 with kernel 3.8.x is fine.

Any suggestions?

Regards,
Tony.

Re: Linux Mint 16 "Petra" Cinnamon RC released!

Posted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:05 pm
by diesel79
tonyarnold99 wrote:Installed Mint 16 RC, but no sign of my wireless card. Card is an RT2561/RT61. Kernel in MINT 16 seems to be 3.11.x.

Wireless card was there on the version booted from a USB key.

Booted Mint 15 with same kernel (3.11) and still no wireless card.

Mint 15 with kernel 3.8.x is fine.

Any suggestions?

Regards,
Tony.
3.12.1 is stable now you could install that https://www.kernel.org/

Re: Linux Mint 16 "Petra" Cinnamon RC released!

Posted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:25 pm
by mbalino
changelog from RC to Stable?

where can I find it?

Re: Linux Mint 16 "Petra" Cinnamon RC released!

Posted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:39 pm
by Brahim Salem
When are they gonna release Petra :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Re: Linux Mint 16 "Petra" Cinnamon RC released!

Posted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:58 pm
by clfarron4
Brahim wrote:When are they gonna release Petra :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
When it's ready.

Re: Linux Mint 16 "Petra" Cinnamon RC released!

Posted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:09 pm
by Brahim Salem
clfarron4 wrote:
Brahim wrote:When are they gonna release Petra :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
When it's ready.
It's ready steady http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=151353 :D :D

Re: Linux Mint 16 "Petra" Cinnamon RC released!

Posted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:20 pm
by Incentive I.C
Don_Pedro wrote:
going to update via APT?
Interlinking between all packages may be broke with an update via APT.
You may lost hours to try to recover + it would me very long to update instead to use a torrent = lost energy and waste your time for sure.
Yea but i don't have anyway to install it the safe way. (Bios doesnt support USB boot unless i update it :( ) and my Install DVD craped out. If i were to udate via APT right now(I am prepraed just in case it messes up) Would i get the stable?

Re: Linux Mint 16 "Petra" Cinnamon RC released!

Posted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:34 pm
by mbalino
One more time - if anybody knows

changelog from RC to Stable? :roll: where can I find it? :shock:

Re: Linux Mint 16 "Petra" Cinnamon RC released!

Posted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:35 pm
by Incentive I.C
I think i found it [url]http://ftp.heanet.ie/mirrors/linuxmint.com/stable/16/[/url] :)

Re: Linux Mint 16 "Petra" Cinnamon RC released!

Posted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:39 pm
by Brahim Salem
Incentive I.C wrote:I think i found it [url]http://ftp.heanet.ie/mirrors/linuxmint.com/stable/16/[/url] :)
How did you get your avatar bigger than ours? Where did you uploaded the picture? :D

Re: Linux Mint 16 "Petra" Cinnamon RC released!

Posted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:44 pm
by RobNJ
Installed this today, and I'm VERY impressed!

As they say locally: Ya done GOOD!

Re: Linux Mint 16 "Petra" Cinnamon RC released!

Posted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:23 pm
by sdim
Excellent job, Clem and team
Thank you for another great release.

Re: Linux Mint 16 "Petra" Cinnamon RC released!

Posted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:03 pm
by Tejas_0
State of Play
  1. System Crashes. Mostly Firefox instigated during System Idle,.
    1. 4th Day, Wednesday 20th. Rounding off a productive untroubled day, left Firefox unattended for just a few minutes. Came back, tried to open a site, and Firefox crashed system with video memory overwrite.
    2. Thursday. Unmaximised Firefox(with focus) left unattended a few minutres, and on return found Firefox had crashed system with video memory overwrite.
    3. Friday.
      1. VLC Player full screen, Firefox minimised, system idling -> black screen with no video input and system crash
      2. Starting Firefox while Transmission was scanning through the partially loaded files (on disk) of a torrent being opened at full blast -> system crash with video memory overwrite. Suspect Firefox here.

      Preferences > System Settings > Screen Saver and Lock Settings
      Changing factory setting Lock ON to Lock OFF seems to have cracked the 'Firefox in idling system' crashes.
      • Saturday. Screeshot selecting whole screen results in video memory overwrite and system crash.
        • Sunday.
          1. Second Firefox restart of day -> video memory overwrite and system crash
          2. While reading a JS popup window, system timed out -> black screen with no video input and system crash
        • Monday. Clear and trouble free :D
        • Tuesday.
          1. Starting Brasero while Imaage Magick Display window on screen -> video memory overwrite and system crash.
          2. Restarting Firefox while Brasero was nearing the end of burning a 4GiB disk -> video memory overwrite. Brasero was able to finsh burning the disk, but after that system was u/s. Suspect Firefox here.
        • Wednesday.
          1. Minimising a JS popup which was on top of anotheer JS popup -> video memory overwrite and system crash.
          2. Logging into site with email account where JS was required, Firefox crashed 3 times. each time video memory overwrite and system crash. However today was able to log in with no touble at all. Obviously the offending script had been removed from site.
        • Today.
          Omitted to set Screen Lock to OFF, left VLC Player in Full Screen, Firefox minimised and system idling -> Dark screen with system crash. Did system restart, left idling for 20 mins without touching screen lock setting and with no Firefox, and on return touching mouse brought system back to life, thus once more pointing the finger at Firefox.
          Otherwise a trouble-free day :)
      • Wobbly FireFox Implementation
        In most Firefox crash instances it looks as if Firefox does not wait for clearance, but goes ahead regardless! Or, using a programming analogy, it is as if a piece of code is accessing an object without waiting to get the semaphore for the object.

        Am invoking Firefox with the command line nice -n 10 firefox -profile "/tmp/ffM_0" -purgecaches -offline btw the option -offline doesn't seem to work anymore, and it could be Firefox doesn't agree with being 'nice'.
        • Optical Disk DVD-RW 4.4 GiB
          • Sluggish Brasero
            Expected improvement in Brasero has not materialised. :(
            1. Burnt a 4.4 GiB disk over some 2-3 hours, with speeds varying from 0.9x to 2.0x, but very infrequently 4.0x. Takes ages to create a checksum at the beginning (had temp dir with 9GiB free space). Successfully burnt disk, but crashed at some juncture during verification!
            2. Comes a poor second behind k3b. Had to revert to an 18 month old Kanotix distribution and use its k3b. Doesn't do a checksum, burns straight away at a steady 4.1x, with the disk burnt in just 15 minutes. Verification takes another 6 minutes (error free), and just a bit longer when erroneous sectors were re-read culminating in an error around the 94% mark. Anyway, in some 20 over minutes one knows if one has a faulty disk or not. (Both had the same temp dir with 9 GiB free space)
          • File Manager & System Notification
            1. The same Brasero burnt disks were sometimes announced as Blank disks, and at other times as being labelled, in which case there was also a file manager entry to be found.
            2. A situation arose where the disk was ejected, but the file manager entry still remained, with directory structure intact. Even the video file, last accessed from the disk, could also be played, with no disk present! This was all very confusing :?
        • Mute Skype
          Installed skype 4.2.0.11 with apt-get which increased memory usage from 9% to 41% (/cow of Live System 438M) and the test call resulted in just noise from the speakers. Resorted to manually installing the skype provided skype-ubuntu-lucid_4.2.0.11-1_i386.deb, thereby getting a lesser increase of memory to 35%. No noise from speakers during test call, but also no sound! The skype whoosh login sound did not occur in both cases. So back to trusty old Nadia, dpkgd the deb, memory increased from 12% to just 21%, and everything worked perfectly, including the skype whoosh login sound.
          • Libre Writer Workaround
            As attempting to open Print dialog crashed the system, managed to print to ps file by exporting to pdf with the option to view exported pdf file. Print to ps file from viewer then worked.
          Here's hoping the proper release wil have addressed most of these problems. :idea:

          Re: Linux Mint 16 "Petra" Cinnamon RC released!

          Posted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:18 pm
          by Incentive I.C
          Updated via APT and everything went GREAT! Only problem is at boot it says Ubuntu(How would i fix that) instead of Linux Mint but everything works. About to run sudo apt-get autoremove to get rid of leftovers :D

          By the way I put LM16 Repos in /etc/apt/sources.list instead of/etc/apt/sources.list is that okay? I put them in file offical-package-repositories.list
          My PPAs say raring(I disabled them during the upgrade) is that okay.

          Re: Linux Mint 16 "Petra" Cinnamon RC released!

          Posted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:30 pm
          by Incentive I.C
          Tejas_0 wrote:State of Play
          1. System Crashes. Mostly Firefox instigated during System Idle,.
            1. 4th Day, Wednesday 20th. Rounding off a productive untroubled day, left Firefox unattended for just a few minutes. Came back, tried to open a site, and Firefox crashed system with video memory overwrite.
            2. Thursday. Unmaximised Firefox(with focus) left unattended a few minutres, and on return found Firefox had crashed system with video memory overwrite.
            3. Friday.
              1. VLC Player full screen, Firefox minimised, system idling -> black screen with no video input and system crash
              2. Starting Firefox while Transmission was scanning through the partially loaded files (on disk) of a torrent being opened at full blast -> system crash with video memory overwrite. Suspect Firefox here.

              Preferences > System Settings > Screen Saver and Lock Settings
              Changing factory setting Lock ON to Lock OFF seems to have cracked the 'Firefox in idling system' crashes.
              • Saturday. Screeshot selecting whole screen results in video memory overwrite and system crash.
                • Sunday.
                  1. Second Firefox restart of day -> video memory overwrite and system crash
                  2. While reading a JS popup window, system timed out -> black screen with no video input and system crash
                • Monday. Clear and trouble free :D
                • Tuesday.
                  1. Starting Brasero while Imaage Magick Display window on screen -> video memory overwrite and system crash.
                  2. Restarting Firefox while Brasero was nearing the end of burning a 4GiB disk -> video memory overwrite. Brasero was able to finsh burning the disk, but after that system was u/s. Suspect Firefox here.
                • Wednesday.
                  1. Minimising a JS popup which was on top of anotheer JS popup -> video memory overwrite and system crash.
                  2. Logging into site with email account where JS was required, Firefox crashed 3 times. each time video memory overwrite and system crash. However today was able to log in with no touble at all. Obviously the offending script had been removed from site.
                • Today.
                  Omitted to set Screen Lock to OFF, left VLC Player in Full Screen, Firefox minimised and system idling -> Dark screen with system crash. Did system restart, left idling for 20 mins without touching screen lock setting and with no Firefox, and on return touching mouse brought system back to life, thus once more pointing the finger at Firefox.
                  Otherwise a trouble-free day :)
              • Wobbly FireFox Implementation
                In most Firefox crash instances it looks as if Firefox does not wait for clearance, but goes ahead regardless! Or, using a programming analogy, it is as if a piece of code is accessing an object without waiting to get the semaphore for the object.

                Am invoking Firefox with the command line nice -n 10 firefox -profile "/tmp/ffM_0" -purgecaches -offline btw the option -offline doesn't seem to work anymore, and it could be Firefox doesn't agree with being 'nice'.
                • Optical Disk DVD-RW 4.4 GiB
                  • Sluggish Brasero
                    Expected improvement in Brasero has not materialised. :(
                    1. Burnt a 4.4 GiB disk over some 2-3 hours, with speeds varying from 0.9x to 2.0x, but very infrequently 4.0x. Takes ages to create a checksum at the beginning (had temp dir with 9GiB free space). Successfully burnt disk, but crashed at some juncture during verification!
                    2. Comes a poor second behind k3b. Had to revert to an 18 month old Kanotix distribution and use its k3b. Doesn't do a checksum, burns straight away at a steady 4.1x, with the disk burnt in just 15 minutes. Verification takes another 6 minutes (error free), and just a bit longer when erroneous sectors were re-read culminating in an error around the 94% mark. Anyway, in some 20 over minutes one knows if one has a faulty disk or not. (Both had the same temp dir with 9 GiB free space)
                  • File Manager & System Notification
                    1. The same Brasero burnt disks were sometimes announced as Blank disks, and at other times as being labelled, in which case there was also a file manager entry to be found.
                    2. A situation arose where the disk was ejected, but the file manager entry still remained, with directory structure intact. Even the video file, last accessed from the disk, could also be played, with no disk present! This was all very confusing :?
                • Mute Skype
                  Installed skype 4.2.0.11 with apt-get which increased memory usage from 9% to 41% (/cow of Live System 438M) and the test call resulted in just noise from the speakers. Resorted to manually installing the skype provided skype-ubuntu-lucid_4.2.0.11-1_i386.deb, thereby getting a lesser increase of memory to 35%. No noise from speakers during test call, but also no sound! The skype whoosh login sound did not occur in both cases. So back to trusty old Nadia, dpkgd the deb, memory increased from 12% to just 21%, and everything worked perfectly, including the skype whoosh login sound.
                  • Libre Writer Workaround
                    As attempting to open Print dialog crashed the system, managed to print to ps file by exporting to pdf with the option to view exported pdf file. Print to ps file from viewer then worked.
                  Here's hoping the proper release wil have addressed most of these problems. :idea:
                  The proper release it out and you should be able to update to it. Are you using Cinnamon?