Review of Linux Mint on "linux.com"

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Review of Linux Mint on "linux.com"

Post by scorp123 »

clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Alephcat
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Alephcat »

Yay! we got 5 penguins! Great interview with clem as well.
"To absent friends, lost loves, old gods, and the season of mists; and may each and every one of us always give the devil his due."
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

Another one:

"Linux Desktop – Is it an Option for Normal Users?"
http://www.techsupportalert.com/review- ... -users.htm

Further down that article:

"...

Linux Mint

I had no luck with two distros based on Ubuntu and wasn’t keen to try a third, but the Great Gizmo suggested Linux Mint. I was even less keen after seeing folks on the forums complain that there was a problem with 915resolution and, worse, that installing Mint had trashed their Windows installations.

The version I downloaded was 2.2, christened ‘Bianca’ by its Irish creators. I ran the live CD and it came up in full 1280x800 technicolour right away. After that impressive debut, I couldn’t wait to see more of Bianca. Mint uses the Gpart and it demands all of your attention when it comes to ticking the right partition boxes. The process is logical if a little unnerving for baby penguins.

The Mint emblem looks like a slice of green star aniseed with a bright white centre that beams like Venus. [ <== hey, he's talking about that logo we did with the lens flare in the background :D :D :D -- scorp123 ]

They say Venus is a treacherous planet but no treachery occurred. In fact, the install was a breeze and beat all records at 15 minutes flat. Bianca even ejected the CD before rebooting from the hard drive, something most of the others refuse to do, leaving you to wrench it out right after the reboot.

She turned out to be a fast lady in every way: I was up and running in half an hour, a time that exceeded all reasonable expectations. Bianca had my internet connection working right away and told me there were updates to download, which she took care of without making a fuss.

It was a different Gnome from Novell’s (the South African cousin) and you wonder why the artisans can’t leave these things alone. The theme choices were limited and lacked polish, and the boot screen looked like a throwback to the days of PC-DOS – clearly Bianca is still going through puberty. In the end, I settled for the Ubuntu default theme rather than Bianca’s bile green and blue hues. Now I was back where the journey through the mountains had begun: on the Highveld. I didn’t mind that since it gave me a chance to see why the village of Ubuntu was such a popular destination. .... "

One thing though: Ubuntu is from South Africa ... Novell is from USA. He messed that up ... Oh well, geography ... :D

Return to “Releases & Announcements”