Linux Mint 5 Elyssa KDE CE RC1 (BETA 045) is out!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics.Please do not add support questions to threads here,use the appropriate support forum instead
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Linux Mint 5 Elyssa KDE CE RC1 (BETA 045) is out!

Post by clem » Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:19 pm

Just a quick note about proxy support: MintUpdate 3.0 will soon hit the Romeo repositories and among other new cool features it will introduce proxy support.

Clem.

amla
Level 1
Level 1

Post by amla » Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:20 pm

An excellent piece of work you guys! However I found an annoying bug: for languages other than english (spanish at least), kdm does not show messages in the proper language. Worst, the login fields will render a "wrong password" error if one of them contains non-english characters. I workaround this setting "Language" variable in /etc/kde3/kdm/kdmrc file and "Xkblayout" in /etc/X11/xorg.conf, but this should be done automagically.

Also it should be better to replace KPackage with gdebi-kde as the former cannot handle dependencies AFAIK.

Cheers,
Antonio

Yary12

Post by Yary12 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:52 pm

It's really the most beautiful Linux distro I have ever seen. YOU ARE GREAT PEOPLE!!!
Though I have one problem- there is not any sound after installing it.
My hardware: Gigabyte EX38 DS4, Gigabyte 8800GTS, 4 GB RAM, Samsung HD753LJ, E8400@ 3,5 GHz

Rob Brill
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Rob Brill » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:44 pm

Hi,

Hardware - ok
Light running as a Live Dvd
Easy rolling installation
Brazilian Portuguese language - ok
Excellent artwork
Great job guys
No bugs found yet

According to my necessities i don't think i will need a definitive final version
to install again but certainly i will ...

Congratulations! Boo, exploder, and the team.

Roberto :wink:

zeraphine
Level 1
Level 1

Post by zeraphine » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:02 pm

OK iwe tried it on Vmware...cuz i kinda broke the DVD which i burned the image lmao, Nwayz, Guys this is just fantastic
Speed = Fantastic speed even on Vmware its lightening fast, one of the fastests Distros iwe come across
Eye Candy = What can I say only U guys live up to ur name "From Freedom Came Elegance", the Default theme is just out of this world its fantastic, one of the best KDE themes iwe seen, im amazed how fast it runs with all that eye candy

Start menu is fantastic as always, and i so love it more than the stupid KDE 4.1 menu
Installation is so quick it only takes about 10 minutes on my system

All in all it was Amazing on Vmware, im yet to check if i can install the Nvidia driver offline, if you guys have fixed it, this will replace my Sabayon installation without a moments hesitation (saboayon also detects the nvidia/ATI driver and enables all the eye candy even on the live DVD i really hope u guys will implement something like that also). Other than that iwe found no bugs of sorts

Good Job LinuxMint team..u ppl are doing a amazing job keep it up

Cheers. :wink:

darco
Level 4
Level 4

Post by darco » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:11 pm

Unable to utilize the latest Flash...had to downgrade to ver 9. FF would crash on youtube....

darco

Dutchy112

Post by Dutchy112 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:12 am

It looks great, thanks a lot. I am much happier now.

But I did notice one little thing: Using the live DVD, clicking the button called mint (next to the Run Program on the menu) n that lists all of the sessions that are available, I thought: Nice touch. Turns out though by switching to tty1 and then back to 7 brings one back to a locked screen, there is no way out of that other than restarting X (or rebooting) If there is no user password on the live DVD, why is the session locked?

I don't think this issue is much of a big deal on an installed system where the user should know the pw, but on the live DVD it can be one.

No matter what, I am glad to be able to tell others that there is now a kde version of mint they can use. I can also confirm Dutch translations of the installer are fine. Well done.

Mint is the distro I recommend to newbies, and you all just make it better and better each time. Kudos.

amla
Level 1
Level 1

Post by amla » Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:27 am

amla wrote: I found an annoying bug: for languages other than english (spanish at least), kdm does not show messages in the proper language. Worst, the login fields will render a "wrong password" error if one of them contains non-english characters. I workaround this setting "Language" variable in /etc/kde3/kdm/kdmrc file and "Xkblayout" in /etc/X11/xorg.conf, but this should be done automagically.
Forgot to mention the keyboard error does happen everytime you access kdm except the first time right after the installation.

Antonio

roadrash
Level 2
Level 2

Couple of problems

Post by roadrash » Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:01 am

I have got Mint 5 installed now & running nicely although I have encountered a couple of problems along the way. I have resolved all but one of them. Here is what i found.

1) I had problems with the text entry boxes in firefox being invisible. I did another clean install of Mint and instead of using the restricted drivers to install the Nvidia graphics driver I used Envy instead & it cured this problem.

2) After installing Mint I let "Mint Update" install all the updates but after it had finished I found I had lost all sound. After checking a number of things, I had run out of ideas but then remember in the past running a util called "alsaconf" which normally resides in the /usr/sbin/ folder but for some reason is missing in Mint. So I copied the alsaconf script from a PCLOS install i made on a another partition and just opening a terminal & running "alsaconf" and selecting my sound card got the sound working again.

3) I am still unable to Log Out and back in again. I enabled the Root account during install but when I am logged in as a user then select Log Out from the K menu It exits KDE & then my PC just stops with a blank Screen. Nothing I do at the keyboard will get me back to the Log In screen. I have to hit the Pc's reset button and boot Mint all over again to get to the Log In screen.

Problem 3) now solved thanks to Fred. (see this thread: http://linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=109&t=15745)
All along it was because of a mounting & permission problem of my hard disk partitions, mainly the NTFS one. I can now log in & out as normal.
Last edited by roadrash on Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:22 am, edited 3 times in total.

Husse
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Husse » Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:25 am

Some small observations
During install it says Installed language-pack gnome - looks a bit funny but I suppose we use the gnome ones
At first login I got "Added user user_name" also a bit funny since a user is (seemingly) created during install
And talking of mintAssistant - is the root password bug still there? Or rather a random pwd set if I don't set one?
The keys to start Firefox and Thunderbird on my Logitech keyboard does not work which they do in Elyssa main
And I got the messages about network manager at shutdown - but I get that in main now also
Haven't tried it much though - got to get email working in both main and KDE first (easy to do, but has to be done)
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it

elbeto
Level 2
Level 2

Post by elbeto » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:56 pm

I have problems with compiz. It's not working for me. I never have problems with the gnome version.

Any ideas?

Thanks

elbeto

locutus
Level 4
Level 4

Post by locutus » Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:50 pm

Make sure your video drivers are up-to-date. Run Envy.

locutus
Level 4
Level 4

Post by locutus » Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:52 pm

Mint Backup is not included with the KDE version?

brando569
Level 2
Level 2

Post by brando569 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:01 pm

Another thing I forgot to mention is that my bootup screen is too small for the screen, my normal resolution is 1680x1050 and im assuming thats what usplash uses but it only takes up about 3/4 of the screen leaving a black one inch border around it.

Husse wrote:Some small observations
At first login I got "Added user user_name" also a bit funny since a user is (seemingly) created during install
I noticed that also but dismissed it as nothing.

Husse wrote:And I got the messages about network manager at shutdown - but I get that in main now also
Haven't tried it much though - got to get email working in both main and KDE first (easy to do, but has to be done)
Ive almost always gotten those in both Kubuntu or Mint KDE

im not sure if this is specific to this beta or not but ive never seen it before and I was using kubuntu 8.04 right before i switched over to the beta of this.

Code: Select all

Setting up libsensors4 (1:3.0.0-4ubuntu1) ...
udev active, devices will be created in /dev/.static/dev/
rm: cannot remove `i2c-0-': Read-only file system
mknod: `i2c-0-': Read-only file system
makedev i2c-0 c 89 0 root root 0600: failed
rm: cannot remove `i2c-0-': Read-only file system
rm: cannot remove `i2c-1-': Read-only file system
mknod: `i2c-1-': Read-only file system
makedev i2c-1 c 89 1 root root 0600: failed
rm: cannot remove `i2c-1-': Read-only file system
rm: cannot remove `i2c-2-': Read-only file system
mknod: `i2c-2-': Read-only file system
makedev i2c-2 c 89 2 root root 0600: failed
rm: cannot remove `i2c-2-': Read-only file system
rm: cannot remove `i2c-3-': Read-only file system
mknod: `i2c-3-': Read-only file system
makedev i2c-3 c 89 3 root root 0600: failed
rm: cannot remove `i2c-3-': Read-only file system
rm: cannot remove `i2c-4-': Read-only file system
mknod: `i2c-4-': Read-only file system
makedev i2c-4 c 89 4 root root 0600: failed
rm: cannot remove `i2c-4-': Read-only file system
rm: cannot remove `i2c-5-': Read-only file system
mknod: `i2c-5-': Read-only file system
makedev i2c-5 c 89 5 root root 0600: failed
rm: cannot remove `i2c-5-': Read-only file system
rm: cannot remove `i2c-6-': Read-only file system
mknod: `i2c-6-': Read-only file system
makedev i2c-6 c 89 6 root root 0600: failed
rm: cannot remove `i2c-6-': Read-only file system
rm: cannot remove `i2c-7-': Read-only file system
mknod: `i2c-7-': Read-only file system
makedev i2c-7 c 89 7 root root 0600: failed
rm: cannot remove `i2c-7-': Read-only file system

Setting up lm-sensors (1:3.0.0-4ubuntu1) ...

Creating config file /etc/sensors3.conf with new version

Processing triggers for libc6 ...
ldconfig deferred processing now taking place

roadrash
Level 2
Level 2

Need to make thunderbird default email in firefox

Post by roadrash » Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:51 am

When i clicked on a email link in Firefox it didn't open any email program. I noticed Thunderbird is the default email program but it didn't open. I went into the preferences in Firefox and tried to set Thunderbird as the program to use when opening mailto links but the only options given from the drop down menu were Evolution & Yahoo mail. In the end I had to select the "Use Other" option and eventually found a Thunderbird program starter which was located in the /usr/bin/ directory.
Just wondered if this shouldn't have been set like this from the install seeing as Thunderbird is the default mail application.

zeraphine
Level 1
Level 1

Found Several Bugz Guyz

Post by zeraphine » Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:12 am

OK I have installed This version on my home PC, earlier i posted when i tested it on Vmware, but this time i tested it for a day and I encountered several problems,
First i have to say again this version looks really good and very fast, but here are the probs

1. I was able to install Nvidia Drivers for my VGA without any problems(offline installation) unlike the Gnome Version of LinuxMint, Then watched some videos on it and restarted the PC and all hell broke loose, the X wont start , it just appear to load and then crash back to the terminal, this goes on like a loop and i was unable to do anything about it. i was able to fix it by booting with safe mode and selecting the Fix x server option but then my nvidia driver was gone.

2. By default this version dont have any KDE themes installed so I thought before tinkering with the GUI i should save the current theme, so i saved it as "LinuxMint" and changed the window style several times and reloaded the "LinuxMint" theme, after than Konqueror and everything else is pretty messed up, most of the icons are missing, the Tabs on Konqueror was huge and the layout was pretty messed up, I was able to reproduce the same thing on another PC also

3. I also Encountered the Log out Issue, upon Log Out KDE exits and scrren goes blank and stays like that, until I restart.

4. Restricted Driver Manager Crashes when I select the enable driver Option on a Offline PC

If it would be any help these are my computer specs

Intel core 2 Duo E6420
Asus P5K (Intel P35 with ICH9)
Nvidia Geforce 8800GT
2GB of Ram

roadrash
Level 2
Level 2

Post by roadrash » Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:59 am

1. I was able to install Nvidia Drivers for my VGA without any problems(offline installation) unlike the Gnome Version of LinuxMint, Then watched some videos on it and restarted the PC and all hell broke loose, the X wont start , it just appear to load and then crash back to the terminal, this goes on like a loop and i was unable to do anything about it. i was able to fix it by booting with safe mode and selecting the Fix x server option but then my nvidia driver was gone.
I had problems after I installed the Nvidia driver using the restricted drivers installer. Have you tried to install the Nvidia driver using Envy becase that worked for me.
3. I also Encountered the Log out Issue, upon Log Out KDE exits and scrren goes blank and stays like that, until I restart.
Thats interesting, what partitions do you have and are you being asked for a password before it will mount them? because this "log out" problem was cured for me after I sorted the partition mounting issue I was also experiencing so there seemed to be a link there. See my post on this here http://linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=109&t=15745

zeraphine
Level 1
Level 1

Post by zeraphine » Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:40 am

roadrash wrote: I had problems after I installed the Nvidia driver using the restricted drivers installer. Have you tried to install the Nvidia driver using Envy becase that worked for me.
No thats the problem, I dont have a internet connection to my home PC so i cant use Envy, its sad the this driver issue
Thats interesting, what partitions do you have and are you being asked for a password before it will mount them? because this "log out" problem was cured for me after I sorted the partition mounting issue I was also experiencing so there seemed to be a link there. See my post on this here http://linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=109&t=15745
yes I saw ur post, all my Partitions are NTFS and yes it asked for a password when i tried to mount them the first time on normal user. I will try the Trick Fred suggested when i get back home. thnx for ur reply mate.

wuying_ren
Level 2
Level 2

Post by wuying_ren » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:26 am

amla wrote:An excellent piece of work you guys! However I found an annoying bug: for languages other than english (spanish at least), kdm does not show messages in the proper language. Worst, the login fields will render a "wrong password" error if one of them contains non-english characters. I workaround this setting "Language" variable in /etc/kde3/kdm/kdmrc file and "Xkblayout" in /etc/X11/xorg.conf, but this should be done automagically.
Hi!

I noticed this bug too. I think kdm wasn't showing messages properly in Daryna too. Anyway, I solved the keyboard problem using the same procedure, and the kdm one setting the correct language for it in kcontrol.
Another thing I forgot to mention is that my bootup screen is too small for the screen, my normal resolution is 1680x1050 and im assuming thats what usplash uses but it only takes up about 3/4 of the screen leaving a black one inch border around it.
Same here. I don't have the problem on my laptop, which uses 1440x900 in X. It's strange because usplash should be using the tty resolution, which I think it's actually 720x400. And it should be the same on both computers, but for some reason it's not showing properly on one of them. I don't have enough time to investigate, any ideas?

I have another problem. aMSN can't log in, but Pidgin works like a charm. I suppose it's an aMSN problem but is anyone able to use it?

By the way, what we should use? Envy or Restricted Driver Manager? For me RDM didn't work, I had to use Envy.

Thanks!
"Try not. Do, or do not, there is no try." - Master Yoda

[Howto] Encrypt your system!
[Howto] Fbcondecor on Mint

wuying_ren
Level 2
Level 2

Post by wuying_ren » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:51 am

Hi again!

I've just found another "bug". But that's an Ubuntu one, https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/217550.

I was trying to synchronize my iPod with Amarok (surprisingly, if you came from Daryna like me, there's nothing to configure, it will just work :D), then I wanted to disconnect it but kdeeject did nothing. I've found this on older versions of Kubuntu and also in other distros. There's a workaround: add your user to the "disk" group. But it should work without doing nothing, this is only for those who need to use an iPod or other devices like pendrives or usb hdd and don't want to wait for the final Elyssa KDE release.

In order to add your user to the "disk" group, open konsole and type this:

Code: Select all

sudo gpasswd -a <username> disk
Don't forget to put your username in place of <username>! You must relogin or changes will not be applied.

Hope it's going to be useful!
"Try not. Do, or do not, there is no try." - Master Yoda

[Howto] Encrypt your system!
[Howto] Fbcondecor on Mint

Return to “Releases & Announcements”