Linux Mint 17 codenamed “Qiana”

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics.Please do not add support questions to threads here,use the appropriate support forum instead
Locked
User avatar
killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14
Posts: 5398
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:49 pm
Location: Leuven, Belgium

Re: Linux Mint 17 codenamed “Qiana”

Post by killer de bug »

abnor wrote: Hmm... so, this is permanent chatter and flooding of forums it is ineradicable global trend?.. :(
I don't really understand what you mean, but no, flooding the forum will not make you a tester. :?
fu-sen wrote: Ubuntu 14.04 Japanese Remix adopted "Fcitx" as this solution in substitution for iBus.
(Ubuntu Japanese Remix is made originally by Ubuntu Japanese Team recognized officially)
This decision is necessary in Qiana.
Linux Mint will probably have the same version than Ubuntu 14.04. :)
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
User avatar
abnor
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:40 pm
Location: Bulgaria

Re: Linux Mint 17 codenamed “Qiana”

Post by abnor »

killer de bug wrote: I don't really understand what you mean, but no, flooding the forum will not make you a tester. :?
But I asked a simple and direct question: "How to can I test Mint RC 17 Qiana? ...I may stays the Testers for testing it! :) How to do it?"
killer de bug wrote: Linux Mint will probably have the same version than Ubuntu 14.04. :)
Mint has many significantly benefits for compared to Ubuntu! However, it's important always, and on practice the "little things" is very importantly... And the Mint just strong for! :)
"All is not lost that is in peril... Actions speak louder than words."
Best server side *nix; bad desktop under *nix - it's because X-like systems has generic problems... But I hope to remedy this situation...
fu-sen
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 37
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:16 am

Re: Linux Mint 17 codenamed “Qiana”

Post by fu-sen »

In fact, there is another movement in post like the point...

ibus-anthy was included in Ubuntu 14.04 (original).
That means that Japanese input was enabled from live boot and just after installation.
Therefore Ubuntu 14.04 is popular from a Japanese.

We Japanese installed it to perform Japanese input in conventional Ubuntu and had to add a package.
We Japanese installed Ubuntu and had to add a package till then.
This applies to Linux Mint equally. (to Mint 16 Petra)

When contents same as Ubuntu 14.04 are included in Qiana,
The Japanese comes to be able to use Mint in Japanese immediately.
This is a very big thing in Japanese Mint user, and Mint has a big influence on the spread to Japan.
User avatar
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 977
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:15 am
Location: Vermont
Contact:

Re: Linux Mint 17 codenamed “Qiana”

Post by kmb42vt »

abnor wrote: But I asked a simple and direct question: "How to can I test Mint RC 17 Qiana? ...I may stays the Testers for testing it! :) How to do it?"
Wait until the RCs are released and then you can test them.

Folks, this same question has been asked over and over again for literally years now and it's been asked and answered several times in this thread alone. Linux Mint does not release pre-RC versions to the general public (alphas and betas), only release candidates. Right now, Linux Mint Qiana Cinnamon and MATE editions are now in internal testing. When the developers approve them for an RC release an official announcement will be made which will include a link to download the RC images.

It always pays to check and see if your question has already been answered before asking it. :wink:
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
Don_Pedro
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 226
Joined: Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:54 am
Location: Dominican Republic

Re: Linux Mint 17 codenamed “Qiana”

Post by Don_Pedro »

abnor wrote:
I have needs to testing and using Qiana amd64..
Yes , Killer de Bugs is right , obviously you want just to test your configuration not Quiana.

Anyway, to test your AMD64 install the Kernell 3.13.x this is the kernel that will be included in Quiana.
Quiana will not solve hardware issues than the kernel 3.13.xxx does not.

Here how to install Kernell 3.13.x through your terminal : http://www.yourownlinux.com/2014/05/how ... linux.html

Is kernel 3.13 works for your actual Linuxmint ? I did not test but install Ubuntu 14.04 to test if any issue.

Cordially
P.
Mint 17 "Qiana", Cinnamon 64-bit 2.0.14 Kernel 3.13.0-27-generic x86_64 Dual Boot W8
Toshiba Satellite Satellite L50D-B Ram:8 GB Quad core AMD A6-6310 APU with AMD Radeon R4 Graphics Firefox/Thunderbird inxi Fxz File
User avatar
mzsade
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 777
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:36 am

Re: Linux Mint 17 codenamed “Qiana”

Post by mzsade »

Looking forward to it, i will still be keeping my Isadora for multi-media streaming purposes on another partition.
Linux User #481272 Reg: 15th Sept., 2008
JeremyB
Level 20
Level 20
Posts: 11929
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:17 am

Re: Linux Mint 17 codenamed “Qiana”

Post by JeremyB »

Don_Pedro wrote:
abnor wrote:
I have needs to testing and using Qiana amd64..
Yes , Killer de Bugs is right , obviously you want just to test your configuration not Quiana.

Anyway, to test your AMD64 install the Kernell 3.13.x this is the kernel that will be included in Quiana.
Quiana will not solve hardware issues than the kernel 3.13.xxx does not.

Here how to install Kernell 3.13.x through your terminal : http://www.yourownlinux.com/2014/05/how ... linux.html

Is kernel 3.13 works for your actual Linuxmint ? I did not test but install Ubuntu 14.04 to test if any issue.

Cordially
I have been using kernel 3.14.0 and 3.14.2 with LM16 Cinnamon and Mate and those kernels work very good
Don_Pedro
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 226
Joined: Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:54 am
Location: Dominican Republic

Re: Linux Mint 17 codenamed “Qiana”

Post by Don_Pedro »

kernel 3.14.0 and 3.14.2 with LM16 Cinnamon and Mate and those kernels work very good
They are stable...thank you JeremyB it's a good info to know.
P.
Mint 17 "Qiana", Cinnamon 64-bit 2.0.14 Kernel 3.13.0-27-generic x86_64 Dual Boot W8
Toshiba Satellite Satellite L50D-B Ram:8 GB Quad core AMD A6-6310 APU with AMD Radeon R4 Graphics Firefox/Thunderbird inxi Fxz File
Nick Payne
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 101
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:49 pm

Re: Linux Mint 17 codenamed “Qiana”

Post by Nick Payne »

Don_Pedro wrote:Is kernel 3.13 works for your actual Linuxmint?
You can easily install new kernel versions from http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/. Just download the deb files for the architecture and kernel version you want, and then run:

Code: Select all

sudo dpkg -i *.deb
I presently have Mint 16 amd64 running on 3.14.3. If for some reason you have problems with the new kernel version, just select the "Previous Linux versions" option on the Grub menu to boot the previously installed kernel.
User avatar
abnor
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:40 pm
Location: Bulgaria

Re: Linux Mint 17 codenamed “Qiana”

Post by abnor »

kmb42vt wrote:
abnor wrote: But I asked a simple and direct question: "How to can I test Mint RC 17 Qiana? ...I may stays the Testers for testing it! :) How to do it?"
Wait until the RCs are released and then you can test them.

Folks, this same question has been asked over and over again for literally years now and it's been asked and answered several times in this thread alone. Linux Mint does not release pre-RC versions to the general public (alphas and betas), only release candidates. Right now, Linux Mint Qiana Cinnamon and MATE editions are now in internal testing. When the developers approve them for an RC release an official announcement will be made which will include a link to download the RC images.

It always pays to check and see if your question has already been answered before asking it. :wink:
On basic. Mint' community presents it's builds (http://community.linuxmint.com/iso) on him section, but downloads it are restricted! It's sadly and it's poor practice! It situation are badly conta Ubuntu perfectly practice (see it's cdimage of ubuntu site) -- So, it's sadly and strange practice of Mint' community...
Environment. Before time as I was wrote this at Saturday' morning, I'm lost many time to find it, and I was quested it on PM, but I was answered as style - 'I dont known' only... ^(
So, at Saturdays evening I was wrote a request about it, and sent it to one of Mint maintainers (on Community section) -- but I haven't answers and there!.. ^(
Resume. In fact, I have lost all day at Saturday for this fruitless searches! (angry) And at morning Sunday I very simply get and experienced a 'daily' build Utopic Unicorn of Ubuntu (!!!)
Sadly, and it's strange situation, and are absolutely unexpected for me... ^(
But the last few years I have been better mean about the Mint' team...
Cheers!
"All is not lost that is in peril... Actions speak louder than words."
Best server side *nix; bad desktop under *nix - it's because X-like systems has generic problems... But I hope to remedy this situation...
Bejje
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:05 pm

Re: Linux Mint 17 codenamed “Qiana”

Post by Bejje »

Sorry if this has already been answered. Which Kernel will be used in the final release?
ubuntu 14.04 used 3.13.0.x which have some kind of bug affecting some AMD graphic card users. When installing the proprietary drivers that os offered by ubuntu or when downloading them from AMD and installing, the system crashes and doesn't start up.

So will the Kernel version be higher than 3.13.x.x?
User avatar
arunarmstrong
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 103
Joined: Wed May 07, 2014 8:38 am

Re: Linux Mint 17 codenamed “Qiana”

Post by arunarmstrong »

User avatar
fblais
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:03 am
Location: Québec, Canada

Re: Linux Mint 17 codenamed “Qiana”

Post by fblais »

Probably "sudo apt-get dist-upgrade" but it isn't released yet, yes?
Bejje
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:05 pm

Re: Linux Mint 17 codenamed “Qiana”

Post by Bejje »

xsog wrote:
Was this a reply to my post?

If that's the case, I'd love to not have to read miles of text to find what I need.
Can anyone answer what kernel will be in the final release?
rosswmcgee
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 146
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:29 pm

Re: Linux Mint 17 codenamed “Qiana”

Post by rosswmcgee »

ubuntu 14.04 used 3.13.0.x which have some kind of bug affecting some AMD graphic card users. When installing the proprietary drivers that os offered by ubuntu or when downloading them from AMD and installing, the system crashes and doesn't start up.


I had this problem and was unable to install 14.04LTS.. So I am hoping this bug will be fixed in Mint 17 lts. Will it???????
amintuser
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 36
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:04 pm

Re: Linux Mint 17 codenamed “Qiana”

Post by amintuser »

Hopefully this freshly-founded bug http://www.openwall.com/lists/oss-security/2014/05/12/3 will be fixed
64-bit systems affected only :evil:
gibbs1984
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 802
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:40 pm
Location: Hemel Hempstead, England

Re: Linux Mint 17 codenamed “Qiana”

Post by gibbs1984 »

Bejje wrote:
xsog wrote:
Was this a reply to my post?

If that's the case, I'd love to not have to read miles of text to find what I need.
Can anyone answer what kernel will be in the final release?
Same kernel as Ubuntu 14.04 I believe, can't remember off the top of my head which one it is though.
Linux Mint 19.0 (Cinnamon) 64bit.
rockadile
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 34
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:15 pm

Re: Linux Mint 17 codenamed “Qiana”

Post by rockadile »

Looks like Cinnamon and MATE versions have been approved for RC release.
User avatar
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14
Posts: 5060
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:54 am
Location: Mt. Angel, Oregon

Re: Linux Mint 17 codenamed “Qiana”

Post by tdockery97 »

rockadile wrote:Looks like Cinnamon and MATE versions have been approved for RC release.
Yes, the 32bit ISO's. Hopefully the 64bit will get done quickly and show up soon on the mirrors.
Mint MATE 20.1
ClutchDisc
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 633
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:31 pm
Location: Detroit area

Re: Linux Mint 17 codenamed “Qiana”

Post by ClutchDisc »

What does it mean if they are approved for RC release? They aren't available to us yet, right?
Custom build
OS: Linux Mint 18.1 Cinnamon
CPU: Intel Core i5 2.70GHz quad core
RAM: 8GB DDR4
OS drive: 120GB SSD
Data drive: 2TB HDD
Locked

Return to “Releases & Announcements”