Linux Mint 17.1 “Rebecca” MATE released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
mandoman
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Linux Mint 17.1 “Rebecca” MATE released!

Post by mandoman »

Why? I thought that Mint 17 was suppose to be supported through 2019, and now there's a 17.1. I'm not asking HOW to upgrade. Nor am I confused as to what it is. It just doesn't fit what you said concerning Mint 17. Is there some reason you couldn't update/upgrade Mint 17, instead of giving us a whole new release? I have all my Linux machines running perfectly on Mint 17 now (and that took some doing), so it's a disappointment to see ANOTHER release. Please enlighten me. Thank you.
What was that code again?
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, mandoman.

Actually, Mint 17.1 could also be considered as a service pack to Mint 17.

Mint 17 and Mint 17.1 share exactly the same Ubuntu 14.04 software and Ubuntu repositories.
What you get when you upgrade from Mint 17 Mate to Mint 17.1 Mate is exactly this:
+ an upgraded MDM
+ an upgraded MATE

You might like to read Clem's announcement more carefully. You should care what it is and how upgrading from Mint 17 to Mint 17.1 works, because then you might realize that there is absolutely no reason to be upset or to be disappointed.
Mint 17.1 is still a Mint 17 release, even though it is referred to as a new Mint release.
Both will be supported till April 2019.

Cheers,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
mandoman
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mandoman »

karlchen wrote:Hello, mandoman.

Actually, Mint 17.1 could also be considered as a service pack to Mint 17.

Mint 17 and Mint 17.1 share exactly the same Ubuntu 14.04 software and Ubuntu repositories.
What you get when you upgrade from Mint 17 Mate to Mint 17.1 Mate is exactly this:
+ an upgraded MDM
+ an upgraded MATE

You might like to read Clem's announcement more carefully. You should care what it is and how upgrading from Mint 17 to Mint 17.1 works, because then you might realize that there is absolutely no reason to be upset or to be disappointed.
Mint 17.1 is still a Mint 17 release, even though it is referred to as a new Mint release.
Both will be supported till April 2019.

Cheers,
Karl
Thanks Karl. I actually do care, and I do know how it works. You haven't explained to me why these changes couldn't be done through the update/upgrade route, though. I've read through what was posted about 17.1, and I truly want to know why it can't be done using UpdateManager, or the upgrade command. I HAVE been reading the release notes, and I still don't see why it can't be done the way I said above. What I did notice is that several "issues" have already been encountered, which seems to me to also be a good reason to just use the update route for repairs/gliches/adjustments. I'll probably go ahead with this release, but it is a little annoying. Especially if it turns out that I will need to download another iso, and re-install it, along with all the data I have been building up confidently (and backing up, naturally), because Mint 17 was to be supported until 2019. I'm not just complaining. If something doesn't make sense to me in Linux, I have found that I had better find out what it's all about, or possibly face consequences down the line. So, to be redundant, why does this have to been handled as another iso release? Thanks.
WinterTroubles

Post by WinterTroubles »

Taken from how to upgrade from 17 to 17.1
Upgrading to 17.1 is relatively easy:

In the Update Manager, click on the Refresh button to check for any new version of mintupdate. If there is one, apply it and wait for the Update Manager to restart itself.

Launch the System Upgrade by clicking on “Edit->Upgrade to Linux Mint 17.1 Rebecca”.

Follow the instructions on the screen.

Once the upgrade is finished, reboot your computer.
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

<SCRATCHES HEAD> But the update can be done via Update Manager. That's what the recent Update Manager, err, update, was for AfaIK.

I am guessing that it's called Mint 17.1 as opposed to Mint 18 to signify this. Or maybe it's because Clem stopped following Ubuntu releases and we're stuck on Ubuntu's "14.04 Trusty Tahr" until the next LTS of Ubuntu is produced, at which point we'll have that option to update to. Well... whatever bits of Ubuntu that make up Mint, I mean. Which is fine, as far as it goes, for stability (since Ubuntu is supporting the underlying works long-term and all) and it'll most likely make things easier for the Mint developers. It just might be a bit of a PitA in a year or two if you try to install a new version of your favorite application only to learn that the newest version is only available for Ubuntus - and distros which are built with them as a core - newer than 14.04. I'm assuming that every single piece of software won't be backported. Seems like I ran into that a while back (might have been with Mint 13, IDK) with a couple of things that I had installed from PPAs. Anyway... Yes, you can update your version of Mint "in place," as it were.

Regards,
MDM

EDIT: Whoops, WinterTroubles beat me to it.
Last edited by MtnDewManiac on Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
mandoman
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mandoman »

WinterTroubles wrote:Taken from how to upgrade from 17 to 17.1
Upgrading to 17.1 is relatively easy:

In the Update Manager, click on the Refresh button to check for any new version of mintupdate. If there is one, apply it and wait for the Update Manager to restart itself.

Launch the System Upgrade by clicking on “Edit->Upgrade to Linux Mint 17.1 Rebecca”.

Follow the instructions on the screen.

Once the upgrade is finished, reboot your computer.

LOL!! You got me. I just came back to confess that I missed the section that says to wait a few days if I want to use upgrade to get 17.1. My apologies. :oops:
WinterTroubles

Post by WinterTroubles »

mandoman wrote:LOL!! You got me. I just came back to confess that I missed the section that says to wait a few days if I want to use upgrade to get 17.1. My apologies. :oops:

Confession and apology accepted.. by me at least :lol: :)
mandoman
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mandoman »

WinterTroubles wrote:Confession and apology accepted.. by me at least :lol: :)
Many thanks, and I just finished upgrading my Inspiron to 17.1 Mate. Smooooth. Desktops next. :)
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hi, mandoman.

All is well that ends well. :-)

Cheers,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
ktheking

Post by ktheking »

Found a nice review on the 17.1 version : http://desktoplinuxreviews.com/linux-mi ... -and-mate/
vasmakk

Post by vasmakk »

Hi to all!

I'd like to report a Bug to the Development team but I don't know how...
This Bug is very consistent and easily reproductible!
It happens when "File Management Preferences" -> Preview , {Sound Files: Preview Sound Files } is set to "Local Files Only" or "Always"

1) Move your mouse over an mp3 file in the Music folder.
2) While the song begins to play (in preview mode) double click on the file
3) The media player loads the file and starts playing it.
But then Caja freezes and you have to "Foce quit", even after you close the media player.

Mint 17.1 MATE 64bit installed in an Asus Laptop
Hope it helps!
lKingjr

Post by lKingjr »

I can reproduce the problem in LM 17.1 Mate running as a guest in VirtualBox.

It's easy enough to avoid by moving the cursor off the icon before dbl-clicking the file.
aelfinn

Post by aelfinn »

I keep getting an md5sum mismatch for the x64 edition. The md5sum is supposed to be c37ca530d17bfdf6431e92c92baf8503; a torrent download gives me c5632a4ea5e6262a876d958a50d9414c, a direct download using DownThemAll gives me d7e14c1866f2347c930f355824a87936. (The direct download of the 32-bit version produced correct md5sums.) Can anyone confirm the correct md5sum for me?
Last edited by aelfinn on Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lKingjr

Post by lKingjr »

c37ca530d17bfdf6431e92c92baf8503 is correct. Perhaps try downloading from the HTTP mirrors.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”