Linux Mint 17.1 “Rebecca” MATE released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Linux Mint 17.1 “Rebecca” MATE released!

Post by clem »

Last edited by karlchen on Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added reference to the installation instruction via Update Manager 4.7.7
vito_spatafore

Re: Linux Mint 17.1 “Rebecca” MATE released!

Post by vito_spatafore »

edited!
Last edited by vito_spatafore on Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bolle1961
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Bolle1961 »

Great job again

Downloading and seeding
http://i.imgur.com/lLZtp6K.png
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

Thank you guys! Can't wait to update from my MATE 17 machine! :D :D :D :D
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
Uncle Jaque

Post by Uncle Jaque »

How do I upgrade from "Quina" running on my W-7 (Dbl Boot) Laptop? Do I have to get a whole new boot disk and start over again or can I download something that will automatically update it, like all of my Windows software does?

I've been using and learning M17.1M-Q for about a month now, and although I've slogged through some issues a couple still remain.

The generic driver for printer will not communicate with my CANNON printer, so in order to print anything I have to re boot back into W7 and find the file from the LINUX partition I want to print.

The Logitech mouse works... sort of... although I cannot assign all of it's buttons as I can do in Windows. About all I can do is swap R and L buttons for left handed use, and that's about it.

When I try to highlight text, sometimes when I click at the beginning everything else lights up, or a part of the text, or some other weird thing. When I try to drag over the text I want to select, it might suddenly move the highlighted block somewhere else, seemingly at random. The best way I've found to select a specific block is to start from the end and drag back up to the beginning... sometimes that works. If I try to select all it might, but then when I click on copy it might disappear, and it might copy or it might not.. . or it might delete my text.

LINUX has potential, but if I can't upgrade it without having a degree in computer science or if the upgrade isn't a whole lot more stable than the version Im using now, I'm afraid I'm going to have to uninstall it and reluctantly go back to Windows.

Was going to install Ubuntu on my old Compaq Presario but after seeing what a bodge up Mint has been on the LT I'm going to leave XP on the old back up box... which is what I'm using now.

Just in case something gets to my XP - which LINUX distro most closely approximates XP and works on older PCs?
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

Jack , do you see the heading of this part of the forum ? Please post your questions in the proper section !!!

And if you really DO want to upgrade, read the Release Notes , where those questions are ALWAYS answered . . :roll:

http://www.linuxmint.com/rel_rebecca.php
LarryPardue

Post by LarryPardue »

I'm a big Linux Mint Fan. I noticed that my LMDB 17 had the shellshock vulnerability and I couldn't get it resolved. I figured the NnSsAa was right in there with me so I tried to install the Mate 17.1 alongside. That was a wise chose because the installer crashed on 17.1. I would advise people not to overwrite a working copy of LM until it matures some. That is what I'm going to do.
lKingjr

Post by lKingjr »

What's up with http://packages.linuxmint.com/? it doesn't seem to be available. @mods, feel free to move this post. I just wanted to add that I tried changing repos but the fastest one other than the above mentioned repo is 10 k/s. I have a 75Mb connection and I'm only having problems with Mint.
grundblom

Post by grundblom »

Hey, thanks for all the hard work on LM 17.1, I just installed it with Mate and I am really excited about the Compiz effects!
Its really polished, and I am enjoying all the wonderful backgrounds as well.
Thanks for the great OS!
Uncle Jaque

Post by Uncle Jaque »

richyrich wrote:Jack , do you see the heading of this part of the forum ? Please post your questions in the proper section !!!
Which is?
So Rebecca is released. Whoopie.
I want to upgrade.... How?
Is there a special place for that?
And if you really DO want to upgrade, read the Release Notes , where those questions are ALWAYS answered . . :roll:
Well, sorry to have annoyed you. Apparently I'm way too stupid to be using LINUX, so I guess I"d better revert back to Windows and leave LINUX to you geniuses.

http://www.linuxmint.com/rel_rebecca.php[/quote]

Well that made about as much sense as the heiroglyphs on King Tut's bathroom walls, so I guess as much as Windows $ux, I'm stuck there. Bye.
timcowchip

Post by timcowchip »

Code: Select all

Upgrade instructions:

If you want to upgrade from Linux Mint 17.1 RC, simply launch the Update Manager and install any Level 1 update available.
    If you want to upgrade from Linux Mint 17, please wait for a few days while we release a new version of the Update Manager to you. In the meantime, you do not need to download or to reinstall anything. We’ll make announcements next week when this is ready.
catfish12

Post by catfish12 »

hi iam currently using mint 17 xfce LTS will there be a xfce version 17.1 LTS
and is it worth me upgrading i was happy when i installed mint 17 xfce
and not having to change every 6 months :roll: i really do not want the head ache of changing every 6 months
vito_spatafore

Post by vito_spatafore »

Really ain't no interested on Mate or cinnamon...

I wanna no when will be released KDE or Gnomo editions...

I feel a lack of INFO...
vito_spatafore

Post by vito_spatafore »

catfish12 wrote: i really do not want the head ache of changing every 6 months
Yep :idea: and 99% of UPGRADES fail...
vito_spatafore

Post by vito_spatafore »

vito_spatafore wrote:Really ain't no interested on Mate or cinnamon...

I wanna no when will be released KDE or Gnomo editions...

I feel a lack of INFO...
no one?
dsneedmd

Post by dsneedmd »

If you want to upgrade from Linux Mint 17, please wait for a few days while we release a new version of the Update Manager to you. In the meantime, you do not need to download or to reinstall anything. We’ll make announcements next week when this is ready.
pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcpunk »

Hope this is the right place to ask this question: I would like to get email notifications when new releases come out, and any new info on these new releases. I did not even know of this new release so I am quite exited...well, as long as it is as good as my current LMM1732bit. I looked all over to see if and where I could subscribe to a newsletter or blog notifications but could not find. Thanks pcpunk
HP Compaq nx7400, Cinnamon 19.2
Intel R Core™2CPU, T5500@1.66GHz, 4GB Crucial RAM
Super Clean Runs Perfect
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

pcpunk wrote:Hope this is the right place to ask this question: I would like to get email notifications when new releases come out, and any new info on these new releases. I did not even know of this new release so I am quite exited...well, as long as it is as good as my current LMM1732bit. I looked all over to see if and where I could subscribe to a newsletter or blog notifications but could not find. Thanks pcpunk
This isn't the thread for such questions, so if you need more help with your question, please start a new thread. However, you can add Mint's blog rss feed

Code: Select all

http://blog.linuxmint.com/?feed=rss2
to your email application and then pay attention to the number of new (unread) articles that show beside it.

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
The Dark Side

Post by The Dark Side »

Congratulations for another Great Release, Linux Mint Team !!!! Linux Mint 17.1 with Mate it's really excellent. Now, waiting anxiously release of Linux Mint 17.1 KDE. Regards.-
vasmakk

Post by vasmakk »

Hi Guys!

There is a strange behaviour with “USB Image Writer” …
While trying to write an ISO image on a USB stick, everything on the Desktop freezes so I cannot do anything,
and there is no Progress Bar indication (it is stucked to 1%) until the "USB Image Writer" is finished!
This happens every time! I 'm not sure if Linux Mint Team is aware of this ...
Has anybody else experienced this ?

I use LM 17.1 64bit MATE on an Asus Laptop with an Intel Chipset, but I don't think my hardware is the problem.
Probably it is a bug
Thx!

Return to “Releases & Announcements”