Linux Mint 17.1 “Rebecca” Xfce RC released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Linux Mint 17.1 “Rebecca” Xfce RC released!

Post by karlchen »

minty1 wrote:If I am running XFCE 17, can I upgrade to Cinnamon 17.1 through update manager?
No, not directly.
As Linux Mint 17.1 KDE has only been released today, Linux Mint 17.1 xfce will certainly be released within a few days, too.
Therefore, I suggest to proceed like this:
(1) Wait till Linux Mint 17.1 xfce has been released.
(2) Upgrade from Linux Mint 17 xfce to Linux Mint 17.1 xfce through Update Manager
(3) Add Cinnamon 2.4.5 to your Linux Mint 17.1 xfce through Synaptic
(4) Make Cinnamon your default desktop environment on login
(5) Simply do not use xfce any longer, if you really do not want to, no need to take the hassle of removing it.
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
cprice72

Post by cprice72 »

If I'm currently running the 17.1 XFCE RC, will updates thru the update manager update my system to the current official 17.1 release, or will I need to conduct a fresh install?
gary.zw

Post by gary.zw »

cprice72 wrote:If I'm currently running the 17.1 XFCE RC, will updates thru the update manager update my system to the current official 17.1 release, or will I need to conduct a fresh install?
You can upgrade from Linux Mint 17.1 RC, simply launch the Update Manager and install any Level 1 update available.
Last edited by gary.zw on Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

Can someone check to see if this version of Mint includes Thunar 1.6.4? Or if it has appeared in the updates? It hasn't showed up in 17.0 yet.

Thanks,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
gary.zw

Post by gary.zw »

MtnDewManiac wrote:Can someone check to see if this version of Mint includes Thunar 1.6.4? Or if it has appeared in the updates? It hasn't showed up in 17.0 yet.

Thanks,
MDM
If you are talking about XFCE 17.1 RC it has Thunar 1.6.3
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

My Mint 17 Qiana Xfce is running like a top . . I will not be upgrading until 2019 ! Now, if and when I install to another machine, I may try out 17.1 Rebecca Xfce . . :D
Night Wing
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Night Wing »

I have two desktop computers and each desktop computer has two hard drives. Both computers run Mint 17 (Qiana) XFCE and I plan to put 17.1 (Rebecca) on one of the desktop computers and compare it to 17 (Qiana).
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

Night Wing wrote:I have two desktop computers and each desktop computer has two hard drives. Both computers run Mint 17 (Qiana) XFCE and I plan to put 17.1 (Rebecca) on one of the desktop computers and compare it to 17 (Qiana).
That actually sounds like an excellent setup for testing the Release Candidate of 17.1 - if you notice any issues at all, you still have a working system with which to file reports somewhere.
timelord wrote:So you are saying a fresh install of 17.1 and updating 17 via software updates are conceivably diferent?
It certainly accounts for the possibility that the user might have made some kind of change to the system which might not be entirely compatible with the new version. I wouldn't think it likely, since they both use the same Ubuntu 14.04 base, AfaIK, but I don't see any downside to it, either.

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
vito_spatafore

Post by vito_spatafore »

well...what happened with the FINAL version :?:
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

It was approved for stable release yesterday.
It will probably be out tomorrow! :wink:
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

killer de bug wrote:It was approved for stable release yesterday.
Interesting. Where did you read that? I just checked both of Clem's blogs about Mint

Code: Select all

http://blog.linuxmint.com/
http://segfault.linuxmint.com/
and in this sub-forum (Releases & Announcements) and couldn't find any such mention.

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

WinterTroubles

Post by WinterTroubles »

MtnDewManiac wrote:
killer de bug wrote:It was approved for stable release yesterday.
Interesting. Where did you read that? I just checked both of Clem's blogs about Mint

http://blog.linuxmint.com/
http://segfault.linuxmint.com/
and in this sub-forum (Releases & Announcements) and couldn't find any such mention.

Regards,
MDM

Here you go MDM http://community.linuxmint.com/iso :)

Regards
WT
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

Nice! I'm not sure that I'll be updating to 17.1 even if I can get my optical drive to work, if it doesn't have the newer 4.11 XFCE stuff, but I would like to at least try it out and 17.1 will be the version that I install for other people.

EDIT: Looks like there are still several "untested cases" for both 32- and 64-bit versions. Hopefully, people will test those and report their results. BtW, do you know if the md5 checksums for the release versions are available yet? I'm sure they will be mentioned in the announcement on the Linux Mint blog, so it's NBD if not.

Thanks,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, MtnDewManiac.
[...] if it doesn't have the newer 4.11 XFCE stuff
I am not quite sure what precisely you mean with the newer xfce 4.11 stuff which you hope to see in Mint 17.1 xfce.
I have got xfce 4.11.6 almost from the start on Mint 17, i.e. from September 2014 onwards, because that was when I added xfce to Mint 17 Cinnamon:

System:    Host: unimatrix0 Kernel: 3.13.0-34-generic i686 (32 bit, gcc: 4.8.2) 
           Desktop: Cinnamon 2.2.16  Distro: Linux Mint 17 Qiana

System:    Host: unimatrix0 Kernel: 3.13.0-35-generic i686 (32 bit, gcc: 4.8.2) 
           Desktop: Xfce 4.11.6 (Gtk 2.24.23) Distro: Linux Mint 17 Qiana
After upgrading from Mint 17 to Mint 17.1 the system looked like this:

System:    Host: unimatrix0 Kernel: 3.13.0-40-generic i686 (32 bit, gcc: 4.8.2) 
           Desktop: Cinnamon 2.4.5  Distro: Linux Mint 17.1 Rebecca

System:    Host: unimatrix0 Kernel: 3.13.0-40-generic i686 (32 bit, gcc: 4.8.2) 
           Desktop: Xfce 4.11.6 (Gtk 2.24.23) Distro: Linux Mint 17.1 Rebecca
As can be seen xfce still is 4.11.6. What cannot be seen is that 1 or 2 xfce components have been updated recently, e.g. xfce4-screenshooter and xfce4-whiskermenu-plugin.

Cheers,
Karl
--
Corrected:
No, it is still xfce4 4.10.1, only xfdektop4 is 4.11.6, seems inxi takes this as the xfce version number, and I let my self be fooled to believe so too easily. Cf. a few posts down where the hoax has been revealed. :oops:
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

Main components
Linux Mint 17.1 features Xfce 4.10, MDM 1.8, a Linux kernel 3.13 and an Ubuntu 14.04 package base.
Karlchen,
I was sure XFCE 4.11 was not inside LM17.1 as 4.11 is clearly a development version and not a stable version. :)
Stables are 4.8 and 4.10 and will be 4.12.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, killer de bug.

I was a bit amazed, too, when adding mint-meta-xfce on my Mint 17 Qiana with Cinnamon gave me xfce 4.11.6. - I had not enabled any experimental xfce PPA at that point in time, nor have I done so later. - I had expected to get xfce 4.10, but got 4.11.6.
Maybe the reason was that xfce was added to a genuine Mint 17 Qiana with Cinnamon later on.
Actually, I followed my own steps, which I had explained for Mint 13, on Mint 17:
(1) xfce instead of Mate (I never had Mate, always Cinnamon)
(2) xfce instead of Mate (part 2)
No real need to clear this up in a thread announcing Mint 17.1 xfce RC, though, I guess. :wink:

Cheers,
Karl
Lifeline
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hi, killer de bug.

Ha, it just needed a bug killer to push my nose right on it in order to make me do what I should have done from the beginning. Check the module versions with the help of dpkg. :oops:
I have got xfce4 4.10.1, nothing else.

$ dpkg --list xfce4 xfwm4 xfdesktop4
[...]
||/ Name                        Version            Architecture        Description
+++-===========================-==================-==================-============================================================
ii  xfce4                       4.10.1             all                Meta-package for the Xfce Lightweight Desktop Environment
ii  xfdesktop4                  4.11.6-1ubuntu1    i386               xfce desktop background, icons and root menu manager
ii  xfwm4                       4.11.1-2ubuntu2    i386               window manager of the Xfce project
It is only the xfdesktop4 version number which seems to fool inxi 1.9.17 into identifying my xfce desktop as 4.11.6. And the foolish old man never questioned what inxi displayed.
Mystery solved. It is xfce4 4.10.1.

Cheers,
Karl
Lifeline
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

Hi Karlchen,

Thanks for the information. I have now a better understanding. Shipping XFCE 4.11 was not expected by Clem and the team. They always ship only stable version, so I was confused :lol:

Return to “Releases & Announcements”