Linux Mint 6 RC1 Bug Thread

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics.Please do not add support questions to threads here,use the appropriate support forum instead
//source\\

Re: Linux Mint 6 RC1 Bug Thread

Post by //source\\ » Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:40 am

Im having the same problem with my synaptic package manager in linux mint 6. I have no software sources under system-administration. Plus my repositories will not open under synaptic package manager. I noticed I didnt have 'python-software-properties' nor 'software-properties-gtk' installed...so I installed...did sudo apt-get update and I now have the software sources icon under system-administration. But it still does not open. I been adding repositories under the terminal but it would be nice to have the GUI back. It works on ubuntu 8.10 so I dont know what the prob is. Any ideas?

dasunsrule32
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dasunsrule32 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:32 pm

Hi Clem, found another issue. It is with Compiz, I have an Intel 915gm adapter, it works correctly until I run an wine based emulator, eg: Crossover Office Pro 7, wine, etc. Whenever a windows application is accessed, the whole screen seems to shift all over the place while the application is launching, once the windows app is up, it is fine. Thanks Clem1
John 3:16, "For God so loved the world, that He gave His ONLY begotten Son, that whosoever should believe on Him, shall not perish, but have everlasting life."

immanuel192

Post by immanuel192 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:38 pm

Hi everyone

I have 2 bugs:

1. My CPU is AMD X3 8450 (Triple Core). Linux Mint cant boot with normal way. If I add "acpi=off", Mint boot OK, but cpufrez is disabled. I found that acpi module has bug

2. My VGA card is ATI HD 3200 (onboard). With Mint 5, driver install OK. But with Ubuntu 8.10 and Mint 6, VGA driver has a problem.

Trung

zachalekos
Level 1
Level 1

Post by zachalekos » Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:27 pm

Sony Ericsson W980 phone won't mount in felicia. It works out of the box in Ubuntu 8.10

Bruce R
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Bruce R » Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:04 am

Rob Brill wrote: Try K3b (1.0.5) and install necessary additional packages (for this RC1 )
Cheers
Roberto
Thank you very much for this tip. :D
K3b was listed by the new Software manager and installation was very easy.
As a KDE tool it was less intuitive than Brasero, but like the earlier version of Brasero in Mint5, if left alone it burns and verifies very well ! :lol:
(I just hope that the formal release contains a working version of Brasero, but meanwhile K3b will serve.)

Husse
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Husse » Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:09 am

Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it

aantonis

Post by aantonis » Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:14 am

It is unable to create multisession optical disks with Brasero 0.8.2. It would be possible to have the Brasero 0.8.3 with new LinuxMint 6?

Timbawulv

Post by Timbawulv » Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:49 pm

I use a usb wacom tablet as my primary mouse. In Mint 6 RC1, wacom support seems to have been removed completely, as I cannot get the slightest bit of movement from my cursor. I managed to get Mint installed using just the keyboard, which went suprisingly well, but my mouse still not recognized upon booting mint. Tweaking xorg to at least view it as a normal USB mouse also does not work.

I think a manual install of the wacom-tools packages from the ubuntu repositories might get it working, but I need the mouse in order to select my wireless network and input my hex key (the icon on the taskbar is inaccessible by keyboard). For the moment, I'm a bit stuck.

McLovin
Level 5
Level 5

Post by McLovin » Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:50 pm

you dont have a regular mouse laying around somewhere? if not, just go the store and buy one, here in the US, (I dont know where you are from) a standard mouse can be bought for like $5 US, so they are dirt cheap, there is no reason to not have a mouse laying around your house somewhere.

user

Post by user » Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:12 am

Perhaps this is more of an oversight than a bug, but is there no way to lock the system without logging out completely? The screensaver has the option to lock Mint6 when it engages, but that is not exactly foolproof if one needs to physically secure their workstation.

aantonis@otenet.gr

Post by aantonis@otenet.gr » Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:56 am

1)The first bug i met it was that Brasero can't create multisession optical disks. This is a bug of version 0.8.2. Please put newest version 0.8.3 in LinuxMint 6 or if it is possible correct this problem.
2)The second bug i met it was about floppy disk drive. Where is it? Simply it has disappeared. Please correct this problem. It's very important for world of LinuxMint to have one distribution with full access to all drives.
Keep the good work. LinuxMint is the best! :D

Husse
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Husse » Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:17 pm

@ Timbawulv
The way input is handled is changed drastically with Intrepid/Felicia
I think this explains it well
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Config/Input

kelean
Level 2
Level 2

Post by kelean » Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:20 pm

I have just installed mint 6rc1. I am dual booting with ubuntu 8.10 the install went well except for my video resolution. I can only choose 600x400 and this is not nice. I have been searching how to correct this with nothing that I can use. When I booted the livecd the resolution was fine. In ubuntu the resolution is fine. I get my standard 1024x768.

My system is a dell opti-plex P-3 866 mhz. With 256 megs of ram. I have the i810 onboard graphics card.

Reading this thread there have been a few posts with video problems and I did not see much help or am I missing something.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks Kelean

Husse
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Husse » Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:14 am

@ kelean
There's a tool called 915-resolution that I think you can use to get the right resolution - if you don't find it in the menu start it from the terminal

steve9199
Level 2
Level 2

RC1 Live CD hangs at Mint Splash screen

Post by steve9199 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:29 pm

Tried to install using both the regular and safe graphics mode. Hangup as it gets to the "Loading GNOME" part of the install. Disk works fine on my notebook though.

Dell Inspiron GX-260
1.8 GHz Celeron
2 GB RAM

I was upgrading from Elyssa KDE, which worked fine. I tried to reinstall KDE, but the same thing happens now.

Any ideas?

-Steve

viking777
Level 14
Level 14

Post by viking777 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:10 pm

Hi, I have been testing Felicia for about 3 days now and I just joined up to say that, with one exception for me, this is an excellent piece of work. The way it handles Mobile Broadband alone is enough for me to make me use it as a default distro, as that function is very important to me and I know of no other distro that handles both my modems without some kind of manual intervention or messing with udev rules - congratulations.

Now for the problem - it won't install grub.

Five tries with Ubiquity, five failures, all at the same place (about 87%, which I guess is where it tries to install grub - it just closes, it doesn't give any warnings or error messages). I then messed about for ages installing grub manually and writing menu.lst by hand. I eventually got it to install (or so it said!) but chainloading from another grub instance just results in a flashing cursor and nothing else.

I was about to give up (in fact I had actually thrown the cd I burned it to into the bin!) when I tried one more thing, this time by copying the menu.lst entry for Mint into the active menu.lst rather than chainloading. This was successful, and that is how it is booting at the moment. I have had two more tries at installing grub, both said that they were successful but both result in the flashing cursor on a black screen as soon as I revert to chainloading. I searched this forum and wiki and found an article about a similar problem which suggests commenting out the line in menu.lst relating to 'gfxmenu' but this doesn't work either.

I should say that I install grub onto the first sector of the partition not the mbr - maybe this is what it doesn't like, but that is a very common way to handle grub and it should be capable of coping with it. I also have multiple partitions which I understand also may confuse it, again it should cope though.

If it wasn't for the fact that I have a couple of years experience with Linux I would never have got this going, which would have been a darn shame, because once booted it is superb.

EDIT. Forgot to say it is a standard Intel PC (Acer Aspire 5920G) not a Mac or anything exotic.
Fujitsu Lifebook AH532. Intel i5 processor, 6Gb ram, Intel HD3000 graphics, Intel Audio/wifi. Realtek RTL8111/8168B Ethernet.Lubuntu 13.10,Ubuntu12.10 (Unity), Mint16 (Cinnamon), Manjaro (Xfce).

timh
Level 3
Level 3

Post by timh » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:11 pm

Whole system is stable only Firefox 3.0.3 crashed a view times. The flash-player is buggy, can see YouTube stuff or other flash content only 1 or 2 min. then I get a white box. happens also in Opera :?
Evo crashed 2 times but irreproducible. RC1 its under havy use of Grsync, Transmission, Tilda, Gscrot, Gwallpapers,Rythmbox, Bluefish. :D

Husse
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Husse » Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:56 am

@ viking777
87% is not when grub is installed, that happens at 94%
I think there may be a bug in Ubiquity that makes the grub install fail if you have a many partitions

viking777
Level 14
Level 14

Post by viking777 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:32 am

Husse wrote:@ viking777
87% is not when grub is installed, that happens at 94%
I think there may be a bug in Ubiquity that makes the grub install fail if you have a many partitions
Thanks for that, I hope it gets fixed before too long as it will certainly scare away noobs. But then maybe they wouldn't have 13 partitions like I do :lol:
//
Edit by Husse
13 partitions is more than enough to get Ubiquity to go insane :)
//
Fujitsu Lifebook AH532. Intel i5 processor, 6Gb ram, Intel HD3000 graphics, Intel Audio/wifi. Realtek RTL8111/8168B Ethernet.Lubuntu 13.10,Ubuntu12.10 (Unity), Mint16 (Cinnamon), Manjaro (Xfce).

palito
Level 1
Level 1

Post by palito » Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:58 pm

I have heard that Speedtouch 330 DSL modem is not supported by Felicia and Ubuntu 8.10 kernel. Indeed my system is not starting when modem is connected. When I unplug it it works fine. In addition to this there is a program that helps to configure DSL internet connection called Ubudsl(http://www.ubudsl.com/pl/start.php). I installed it but it prompts that current system is not supported. I have Dell Latitude c600.

As I found out this problem is fixed with 2.6.27.10 kernel. What kernel will stable Mint 6 work on?

Return to “Releases & Announcements”