Linux Mint 6 RC1 Bug Thread

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics.Please do not add support questions to threads here,use the appropriate support forum instead
Version_3
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Linux Mint 6 RC1 Bug Thread

Post by Version_3 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:32 pm

timh wrote:Whole system is stable only Firefox 3.0.3 crashed a view times. The flash-player is buggy, can see YouTube stuff or other flash content only 1 or 2 min. then I get a white box. happens also in Opera :?
Evo crashed 2 times but irreproducible. RC1 its under havy use of Grsync, Transmission, Tilda, Gscrot, Gwallpapers,Rythmbox, Bluefish. :D

I had the same issue with Flash. In Synaptic I completely removed flashplugin-nonfree and installed adobe-flashplugin. I no longer have the blanking of the video.

I have no other bugs to report. Everything it working great on my Dell D630!

exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder » Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:30 pm

If anyone is having this problem, Firefox window is too large or opens off screen. Here is a solution from Mozilla.

http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Fir ... off+screen

I did not read through this entire thread but thought it might be a good idea to put this out there just in case someone needed this.

constantinos692
Level 1
Level 1

Post by constantinos692 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:47 pm

when i am trying to install my HP Officejet 4215xi all in one printer through HPLIP toolbox i receive a reply that i have to restart CUPS, something that can't happen since i receive failure message each time i try. i can stop it but i can't start or restart it.

dbase
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dbase » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:22 pm

I have a Dell laptop with an Intel prowireless 3945abg card. The wireless connection is rather flakey. The signal drops quite often forcing me to reconnect to my access point.
Connecting to the access point can be quite hit and miss. It doesn't always show up on wireless connections and I have to use connect to hidden wireless network even though my ssid is not hidden. Then it may ask for my wpa key several times. In the end I have to restart the laptop

iamsaisai
Level 1
Level 1

Post by iamsaisai » Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:19 am

i m now using linux mint 6 RC1 with my lenovo s10
it works quite fine ( i m really happy that it works with the broadcom wifi )

the problem i found is that when i try to shutdown or restart the machine in command
(sudo shutdown 0/sudo shutdown now/sudo shutdown -r )
the machine jump to the shut down screen
and the progress bar freeze when it is almost done
it cannot automatically shutdown
i have to hold the power button, force to shutdown
but i don't have this problem when i shutdown the machine using the UI

AlbinOz
Level 1
Level 1

Post by AlbinOz » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:31 am

Hi,
I'm using Felicia RC1 on a "old" P4 hyper threading, and all seems to be ok.
I just had to unplug my Wacom Intos 3 graphic tablet to install successfully Felicia ... I will plug the tablet soon.
By default, the resolution (1920 x 1200 on a 28 inches LCD with DVI -> HDMI) and the graphic acceleration (ATI radeon 8600) work great !! It's the first time !

So, testing is approuving Linux Mint, as we say in France.

Now, i install Enlightenment, and i would create a Felicia with enlightenment. Does anybody start such a project ?

Level 1
Level 1

Bug - Network Tg3

Post by 9812713 » Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:28 pm

Greetings Bug Zappers ...

I seem to have encountered a problem with Felicia .. The problems seems to be with the network driver (tg3) which my laptop uses as a wired connection. In Mint 5.0 (x64) the network card worked fine, however after installing Mint 6, I can't seem to get the network adapter to connect to my LAN. The WLAN works fine.

Here is what I have tried:
> Unplugged the network cable, and reinserted it
> Tried to Force an IP address
> Delete the NIC card entry from NetworkManager
> Tried to apply any patches available.
> Ran apt-get upgrade, and it seemed to update the kernel, HAL, and some Xorg things.

--
In my case this reference on the ubuntu forum ( http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=530832 ) seemed to get it to work by running,
>

Code: Select all

sudo modprobe -r tg3
followed by

sudo modprobe tg3
However the suggested permanent fix

dpkg-reconfigure --all
did not work for me.

Since this is obviously a Ubuntu problem with 8.10, does anyone want to try any ideas?

By the way >> Things are loooooooking great.

W

don c.
Level 1
Level 1

Unable to adjust keyboard repeat rate

Post by don c. » Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:37 pm

This may qualify as a Gnome bug, rather than a Mint one, but I have been unable to adjust keyboard repeat rate using the "Control Center/Hardware/Keyboard" utility. This is on two different machines.

I am stuck with the absurd default machine-gun key repeat until this is fixedddddddddddddddddd. :?

infamous
Level 2
Level 2

Post by infamous » Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:19 pm

I did the mint install 5.3.4 update today and it is still telling me that I'm running 5.3.3 if I click on about in the mint install help menu. I even tried rebooting but it still says 5.3.3

infamous
Level 2
Level 2

Post by infamous » Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:25 pm

iamsaisai wrote:i m now using linux mint 6 RC1 with my lenovo s10
it works quite fine ( i m really happy that it works with the broadcom wifi )

the problem i found is that when i try to shutdown or restart the machine in command
(sudo shutdown 0/sudo shutdown now/sudo shutdown -r )
the machine jump to the shut down screen
and the progress bar freeze when it is almost done
it cannot automatically shutdown
i have to hold the power button, force to shutdown
but i don't have this problem when i shutdown the machine using the UI
This is an old Ubuntu bug I think. I haven't been able to reboot my PC on any Ubuntu based distro, but shutdown works fine for me. None of the reboot options have ever worked for me. Every time they come out with a new version I hope they will fix it, and they never do.

alanstanley
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Linux Mint 6 RC1 Bug Thread - Partially SOLVED

Post by alanstanley » Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:55 pm

Excellent job Clem and all, many thanks for the good work. I have two minor problems which might be bugs.
1. Skype - am unable to get the audio input working, in-spite of trying all possible combinations of configurations within Skype and the audio devices available. I managed to get it working in Ubuntu 8.10 but the identical configuration doesn't work in Felicia.
2. I have an Epson all in one DX7450, printing no problem but scanner not detected ( the problem is the same in Ubuntu 8.10). In Elyssa after installing libsane-extras it worked fine - but not with Felicia.

Today Skype now working fine - thanks whoever did that!
Last edited by alanstanley on Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dmenera

Post by dmenera » Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:26 pm

timh wrote:Whole system is stable only Firefox 3.0.3 crashed a view times. The flash-player is buggy, can see YouTube stuff or other flash content only 1 or 2 min. then I get a white box. happens also in Opera :?
Evo crashed 2 times but irreproducible. RC1 its under havy use of Grsync, Transmission, Tilda, Gscrot, Gwallpapers,Rythmbox, Bluefish. :D
I just wanted to confirm the flash player bug.

sarahmarienc
Level 4
Level 4

Post by sarahmarienc » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:30 pm

dmenera wrote:
I'm also having flash-player issues. One game I was playing that I have played fine on Mint5, won't play on Mint 6 RC1. It says I need Flash Player. But I checked and I have flash player, it came with this release.

I get the white screen too in the middle of things like timh reported.
Be kind- edit your post topics to show they are solved and thank the people who helped. :)

"Microsoft asks us to imagine a world with no walls. Well then why would we need Windows?"

kansasnoob
Level 4
Level 4

Post by kansasnoob » Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:08 am

sarahmarienc wrote:
dmenera wrote:
I'm also having flash-player issues. One game I was playing that I have played fine on Mint5, won't play on Mint 6 RC1. It says I need Flash Player. But I checked and I have flash player, it came with this release.

Go to Package Manager. In the regular search (binoculars) type flash. Select adobe-flashplugin. When you click on apply it should tell you it's going to remove flashplugin-nonfree. that's cool.

Then be sure to restart Firefox by going to File > Quit. Hopefully when you start using Firefox again that'll be better.

I also strongly recommend installing flashblock. Again you'll have to restart Firefox.

Bruce R
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Bruce R » Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:56 pm

Sorry, belated Bug Report.
ACIDrip works in x264 Codec mode in Mint 4 but not in Mint5 or Mint6rc1.
Video Detect works fine and so does Preview, but 'Start' fails to engage the process halts and the message 'Mencoder interrupted by user' is displayed.

(Meanwhile. todays apt update; apt installgtk2-engines-ubuntulooks mint-artwork-gnome mintassistant mintbackup mintdesktop mintinstall mintmenu mintnanny mintupdate mintupload is looking good - thank you !)

timh
Level 3
Level 3

Post by timh » Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:09 pm

kansasnoob wrote:
sarahmarienc wrote:
dmenera wrote:

Go to Package Manager. In the regular search (binoculars) type flash. Select adobe-flashplugin. When you click on apply it should tell you it's going to remove flashplugin-nonfree. that's cool.

Then be sure to restart Firefox by going to File > Quit. Hopefully when you start using Firefox again that'll be better.

I also strongly recommend installing flashblock. Again you'll have to restart Firefox.
Yes it works thanks :D
no more flashcrash :lol:
Tim

sarahmarienc
Level 4
Level 4

Post by sarahmarienc » Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:11 pm

Unsure if these are bug related but they seem to be as they only happen in Mint 6 RC1 but when I try to eject a disc from my cd-rom drive it will open and close before I can get the cd out. When I hit the eject button again it makes a noise and then ejects the disc. This happens every time and each time takes two tries.

Also, when I try to save files. I click save and nothing happens. Have to click twice to save things. This also happens every time as well.

Again, these only happen with Mint 6 RC1, did not occur with MInt 5

I have an HP Media Center M8100N
Be kind- edit your post topics to show they are solved and thank the people who helped. :)

"Microsoft asks us to imagine a world with no walls. Well then why would we need Windows?"

exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder » Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:34 pm

sarahmarienc, those are both bugs inherited from the Ubuntu base.
when I try to eject a disc from my cd-rom drive it will open and close before I can get the cd out. When I hit the eject button again it makes a noise and then ejects the disc. This happens every time and each time takes two tries.
There is a udev update that will take care of this bug. I am subscribed to the eject bug and have tested the fix myself. Just update udev and the problem is gone, no reboot needed or anything.

I did not encounter the second problem. I need more details on this one. What app are you trying to save files with? A Google search brings up too many different issues to isolate a solution. More detail might yield better results.

sarahmarienc
Level 4
Level 4

Post by sarahmarienc » Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:21 pm

exploder wrote:sarahmarienc, those are both bugs inherited from the Ubuntu base.
when I try to eject a disc from my cd-rom drive it will open and close before I can get the cd out. When I hit the eject button again it makes a noise and then ejects the disc. This happens every time and each time takes two tries.
There is a udev update that will take care of this bug. I am subscribed to the eject bug and have tested the fix myself. Just update udev and the problem is gone, no reboot needed or anything.

I did not encounter the second problem. I need more details on this one. What app are you trying to save files with? A Google search brings up too many different issues to isolate a solution. More detail might yield better results.
Whenever I save anything to my /data folder (Gimp is usually where I'm saving from lately, haven't tried it on other programs?) I have to click once, nothing happens, and then click a second time for it to save. It's only happened in Mint 6.

It makes sense that I didnt know there was an update because I've held back the updates broad-casted as ubuntu because of having something in there creating graphics problems with my nvidia card. I found the udev update and am doing it now alone. Thank you for your help with that one.

EDITED TO ADD: It worked!!! Thank you very much :)

Joseph Howse
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Joseph Howse » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:56 am

DevinHester wrote:I've got a little problem with the network manager. I configured a wired network with manual ip, but after every reboot the connection is deleted. :(

(Fresh install on Samsung R70)
This issue is present in Ubuntu 8.10 and all its derivatives. Hopefully it is fixable within Mint 6.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”